Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eugene Milton Clemons II - Alabama Death Row

Eugene Milton Clemons II - Alabama Death Row

George Douglas Althouse

Summary of Offense:

George Douglas Althouse was a Special Agent of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) assigned to the Birmingham, Alabama office. As part of his duties, Althouse worked on an investigation with Sergeant Mark Hobbs of the Hoover, Alabama Police Department. Hobbs and Althouse planned to meet on the evening of Thursday, May 28, 1992 between 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. to discuss search warrants to be executed the following day. Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputy Naylor Braswell, Althouse's housemate, agreed to accompany Althouse to the meeting with Hobbs. Braswell and Althouse left for the meeting shortly before 10:00 p.m. in Braswell's undercover automobile, a black Model Z-28 Camaro. En route, they stopped at a Chevron service station. Braswell went into the station to obtain the telephone number for a pizza delivery source. Althouse remained in the car. During the brief interval, Althouse appears to have made a phone call to his girlfriend from the car's cellular phone. While inside the service station, Braswell suddenly observed an individual sitting in the driver's seat of the Camaro and pointing a gun to Althouse's head. Moments later Braswell heard several shots and saw Althouse exit the car. Althouse fired his weapon at the Camaro as it sped away. Althouse died shortly thereafter from gunshot wounds.

Testimony offered at trial revealed that prior to the murder Dedrick Smith had told several individuals, including Eugene Clemons, that he needed an engine for his Z-28 Camaro. On the evening of the murder, Smith, Clemons and a third individual, Kenny Reed, drove to a shopping center looking for a suitable car for Smith. Failing to find such a vehicle, they proceeded onto the highway. When Clemons spotted a Z-28 Camaro in a Chevron service station, they stopped and Clemons, carrying a gun, exited the car. Smith and Reed were driving to a nearby parking lot to wait for Clemons when they heard several gunshots and observed Clemons, driving the Camaro, pull out of the Chevron station at high speed. Clemons drove to the house of a friend, Herman Shannon. After examining the contents of the car, Clemons and Shannon concluded that it was likely a police vehicle. Both Clemons and Smith subsequently left town. Clemons was arrested in Cleveland, Ohio on June 6. Smith was arrested in Birmingham several days later. Both were convicted by a jury of murdering Agent Althouse.

Clemons was sentenced to death in 1994.

On August 16, 2010, Clemons filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/ala...v02218/132602/

On March 28, 2016, Clemons' habeas petition was DENIED in Federal District Court.

https://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...2218/132602/62

On May 27, 2016, Clemons filed an appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci.../ca11/16-13020

On February 26, 2019, oral argument will be heard in Clemons' appeal before the Eleventh Circuit.

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/sites/d..._Revision1.pdf

Federal habeas relief denied by the Eleventh Circuit today.

https://cases.justia.com/federal/app...?ts=1596144636
    Last edited by Bobsicles; 07-30-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

If Clemons has not chosen gas as a method of execution, we could see Clemons for a swift execution in Spring 2021.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Willie B Smith III didn’t choose gas and he exhausted appeals recently. Also there are plenty other with exhausted appeals who didn’t choose gas. I think they’re waiting for the virus to die down

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Bob, could you break down the individuals that have not chosen gas? That frees up names who are destined for lethal injection in the near future.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

The ones I know of include:

Bobby Waldrop
    Artez Hammods
    Michael Taylor
    Jeffery Lee
    Willie Smith
    Anthony Boyd
    William Kuenzel

Those are the ones I know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information