Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cecil Shyron King - Florida

Cecil Shyron King - Florida

Trial begins for Jacksonville suspect in elderly woman's hammer beating death

Prosecutors say a Jacksonville man hit an 82-year-old woman with a hammer at least 17 times, striking her head, neck and back during a 2009 burglary that now has him on trial with the death penalty a possibility.

Cecil Shyron King, 41, is charged in the death of Renie Telzer-Bain. Authorities connected King to the murder using DNA evidence and tracing back several pawned items. At the time of the murder, King was a lawn worker looking for jobs.

Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda said King took "an ungodly number of items" from Telzer-Bain, with the list extending to 50 or 60 of her possessions. Before he left, police say he killed Telzer-Bain and also took a bite out of a piece of cantaloupe that was later used as evidence tying him to the crime scene although he had left no fingerprints.

"This defendant knew exactly what he was doing," de la Rionda said. "Thank goodness we recovered that cantaloupe and had good police who knew what to do with it."

But defense attorney Quentin Till argued that the DNA evidence from the fruit should be disregarded.

"You won't see the container. You won't see the melon. Why? They threw it away. They didn't think they'd need that part. So I can't test it. We just have to rely on what they say," Till told the jury.

Till called the case against King speculative and told the jury that King is adamant about his innocence.

Trial opened Tuesday before Circuit Judge Mallory Cooper and is expected to span several days.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...#ixzz1IfQ9rRzG

No prints, no weapon, attorneys grapple over cantaloupe in Jacksonville woman's death by hammer

With no fingerprints and no weapon to tie to a man accused of an elderly Jacksonville woman’s killing, focus has shifted heavily to a partially eaten piece of fruit.

Cecil Shyron King, 41, is charged with first-degree murder in the December 2009 beating death of Renie Telzer-Bain, 82.

The prosecution and defense kept Florida Department of Law Enforcement DNA analyst Jason Hitt on the witness stand for nearly 2 1/2 hours Thursday as both sides sparred over how much weight the jury should give a piece of cantaloupe said to be laced with King’s saliva.

King was a lawn worker who had jobs in Telzer-Bain’s neighborhood near the time of her death. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty, saying he hit her repeatedly with a hammer while burglarizing her Mandarin home.

Although police recovered a number of Telzer-Bain’s belongings from King and used pawn shop records to trace one of her stolen bracelets to him, the only evidence that would prove he had been physically inside her home was the cantaloupe police found in her kitchen.

Hitt said a swab from the cantaloupe matches up with King’s profile. The defense contends there are a number of problems with the science in this case.

Chief Assistant Public Defender Refik Eler went into court with a lottery ticket and a container full of cubed cantaloupe from the grocery store to help break through the lofty vocabulary associated with DNA.

“You said there were 11 numbers and two weren’t matching,” Refik said. “Is it like this ticket where you have to hit all the numbers right to win?”

Hitt explained it’s not that simple. He said there were 13 instances of DNA on the cantaloupe. Eleven of those instances were a match for King. The other two weren’t necessarily King, but King couldn’t be ruled out of the equation either, Hitt said.

Although Hitt said King’s trial marked the 47th time he’d testified about DNA in court, he said his experience testing food was limited. Under Eler’s questioning, he said it is possible the acids in the fruit could compromise a sample.

The defense has stressed that it could not perform a separate DNA test because the fruit was disposed of after the police sent a DNA swab away to Hitt’s lab. However, Hitt said the fruit could have decomposed over time and blurred the second set of results.

“Bottom line is, you extracted DNA from the sample and it matched the defendant?” asked Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda.

Hitt agreed and prosecutors rested their case.

Trial continues with the defense’s case Friday before Circuit Judge Mallory Cooper.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...#ixzz1Isbn5jXo

Jacksonville man found guilty of killing elderly woman with hammer

A Jacksonville man faces a possible death penalty now that he's been found guilty in the December 2009 hammer attack that killed an 82-year-old woman in Mandarin.

A jury of six men and six women deliberated for about two hours Friday before finding Cecil Shyron King, 41, guilty of first-degree murder in the death of Renie Telzer-Bain.

Prosecutors said King hit Telzer-Bain at least 17 times with a hammer while burglarizing her home. He was caught pawning one of her bracelets and authorities recovered numerous other items of hers from his apartment, but he denied the murder for hours during a recorded police interview.

King did not testify. He is scheduled for a sentencing hearing next Thursday.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...#ixzz1IyKmXxiQ

Being convicted of beating an 82-year-old woman to death with a hammer in Florida (a state where you do not need a unanimous decision on the sentence) is never a good combination of factors for someone wishing to avoid the death penalty.

Jury Deliberates Murderer's Sentence

A jury must decide whether to recommend life in prison without parole or the death penalty for a lawn maintenance man convicted of murdering an 82-year-old woman in December 2009.

A recommendation to the judge was expected later Thursday afternoon.

The jury didn't take long to return a guilty verdict last Friday for 41-year-old Cecil King, who was convicted of killing Renie Bain, whose home he serviced.

Bain's family members found her beaten to death in her home. Prosecutors said King killed Bain with a hammer.

"This verdict is a great day on a new start in the beautification in the great city of Jacksonville," Sabrina Gouch, of the Justice Coalition, said last week as she read a statement from Dana Telzer, Bain's son, who was too emotional to read it. "Somehow, some way I wanted justice for all of Jacksonville, and I think today was a giant step in that direction. I want Cecil King to forever remember my mother, Renie Telzer Bain. I know all the lives she touched will forever remember

Both prosecution and defense attorneys called witnesses during the sentencing hearing Thursday to give impact statements. Family members of Bain and King family testified.

Prosecutors said the evidence against King rapidly piled up in the days after Bain's death. That evidence included video from a pawn shop, which prosecutors said shows King selling a bracelet stolen from Bain's home the day she was killed, and a bloody shirt detectives found in King's home.

About a month later, police brought King in for questioning, a session in which King remarked about the tragedy of Bain's death.

"A couple days later, I seen it on the news, and I was like, 'Man, that looks like that lady's house,'" King said in interrogation video. "And I called (my boss), and he was like, 'Yeah, her son had called,' and I was like, 'Wow.' It kind of hit me: 'I know that lady.'"

Family members who testified in court during the trial said Bain was independent and kind-hearted.

"She was not just my mother-in-law, she was my best friend," Lysa Telzer, Bain's daughter-in-law, said in court.

Telzer described the night Bain was killed. She said she had gone to check on Bain and found her Brierwood home ransacked.

"I took a second to look into the bedroom, and I saw her little feet and her little socks and her little green scrubs hanging out on the floor on the other side of the bed," Telzer said, while crying. "And I kneeled down. She was facedown. Thank God I didn't lift up her face, but her hand was ice cold. I knew she was not alive."

King maintained his innocence, saying the evidence linking him to the crime was nothing but a coincidence.

Prosecutors said the final piece of evidence came into place when detectives took a DNA sample from King, swabbing his cheeks. Authorities said his DNA matched the DNA left on a piece of fruit found inside Bain's home, a home that King said he never went inside.

Prosecutors said King forced his way into Bain's house on Goodby's Trace Drive, hit her in the head, stole several items and left in her Cadillac. The car was recovered the next day.

In addition to being found guilty of murder, King was found guilty of grand theft auto, burglary, carrying a dangerous weapon and dealing in stolen property, among other charges.

Previous Stories:

http://www.news4jax.com/news/27546380/detail.html

Jury Recommends Death For Killer

A jury recommended the death penalty Thursday for a lawn maintenance man convicted of murdering an 82-year-old woman in December 2009.

The jury voted 8-4 to make the recommendation for 41-year-old Cecil King, who was convicted last week of killing Renie Bain, whose home he serviced. A judge will decide next month whether to uphold the recommendation.

Bain's family members found her beaten to death in her home. Prosecutors said King killed Bain with a hammer, striking her at least 17 times.

"This verdict is a great day on a new start in the beautification in the great city of Jacksonville," Sabrina Gouch, of the Justice Coalition, said last week as she read a statement from Dana Telzer, Bain's son, who was too emotional to read it. "Somehow, some way I wanted justice for all of Jacksonville, and I think today was a giant step in that direction. I want Cecil King to forever remember my mother, Renie Telzer Bain. I know all the lives she touched will forever remember her."

http://www.news4jax.com/news/27546380/detail.html

UPDATE:

King due in court on May 25, 2011 for a sentencing hearing.

Elderly Woman's Killer Back In Court

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A lawn maintenance man convicted of killing an 82-year-old woman in December 2009 is scheduled to learn Monday if he will be sentenced to death or life in prison.

In April, the same jury that found 41-year-old Cecil King guilty of first-degree murder voted 8-4 to recommend the death penalty.

King was convicted of killing Renie Bain, whose home he serviced. Bain's family members found her beaten to death in her home. Prosecutors said King killed Bain with a hammer, striking her at least 17 times.

Prosecutors said King forced his way into Bain's house on Goodby's Trace Drive, hit her in the head, stole several items and left in her Cadillac. The car was recovered the next day.

In addition to being found guilty of murder, King was found guilty of grand theft auto, burglary, carrying a dangerous weapon and dealing in stolen property, among other charges.

During the April sentencing hearing, a letter written by Bain's son, Dana Telzer, was read.

"My mother beat cancer three different times and never complained," Myles Telzer said on his father's behalf. "She always had a positive attitude, a life lesson I learned and will never forget."

"All of our lives are forever changed for having known Renie Telzer Bain," one of Bain's neighbors told the jury.

King's relatives told the court he's a bright man who once considered a career in ministry. They said he diligently cared for his dying mother and loves his 3-year-old son.

"I don't want my son killed," King's father said. "I want my son to be able to be there so he can be a father to his son more than I was to him."

Cecil King talks to detectives during a two-hour interrogation after his arrest in February 2010.

Prosecutors said the evidence against King rapidly piled up in the days after Bain's death. That evidence included video from a pawn shop, which prosecutors said shows King selling a bracelet stolen from Bain's home the day she was killed, and a bloody shirt detectives found in King's home.

During the trial, Telzer described the night Bain was killed. She said she had gone to check on Bain and found her Brierwood home ransacked.

"I took a second to look into the bedroom, and I saw her little feet and her little socks and her little green scrubs hanging out on the floor on the other side of the bed," Telzer said, while crying. "And I kneeled down. She was facedown. Thank God I didn't lift up her face, but her hand was ice cold. I knew she was not alive."

http://www.news4jax.com/news/28217008/detail.html

Edited:

A lawn maintenance man convicted of killing an 82-year-old woman in December 2009 will have to wait until at least next month to learn if he will be sentenced to death or life in prison.

At a hearing Monday for 41-year-old Cecil King, sentencing was pushed back to July 5.

In April, a jury that found King guilty of first-degree murder voted 8-4 to recommend the death penalty.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/28217008/detail.html

Juror's fear of retaliation at issue in Duval killer's sentencing

Lawyers for a Jacksonville man convicted of beating an elderly woman to death with a hammer in 2009 say the jury's verdict and death penalty recommendation may have been shaped in part by a fear of retaliation.

Cecil S. King, 41, appeared in court Monday as defense lawyer Quentin Till asked for permission to interview jurors.

There also is a motion for a new trial. Circuit Judge Mallory Cooper ruled on neither of the requests but set a hearing for next month.

Cooper told Till and prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda that she is reviewing trial transcripts but so far has not found evidence in the record of one of the jurors saying she was afraid of retaliation for working on the jury.

King was convicted of first-degree murder in April for the hammer-attack that killed Renie Telzer-Bain, 82, during a break-in at her home near Baymeadows Road.

Till said the juror already had expressed concerns about television coverage of the case as the trial began. Before the penalty phase of the trial, Till said the juror passed a note to Cooper saying she and other members were worried about what could happen to them for deciding King's case.

While Till said there was no evidence that any of the jurors' faces were on television — camera operators are specifically instructed by the judge to not film the panel — he said there could be an issue with the verdict and subsequent death penalty recommendation.

De la Rionda disputes the motion and said the issue was resolved during the trial. He said the juror could have been dismissed for an alternate but was not, in part because the defense agreed to keep her.

Other lawyers in the case are being called in to testify. One of the problems with the motion is that the juror's concerns were not necessarily recorded in the trial transcript, so a stronger basis for Till's concern must be established.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...#ixzz1PBKx74p2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information