Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are we fascinated with death-row meals?

Ok, glad you cleared the mythology of that up.

That could be true but haven't you heard that the last meal pre-dates biblical times and goes back to the ancient Greeks and Romans? Maybe even the ancient Egyptians!
    Last edited by TheKindExecutioner; 06-24-2011 at 08:47 AM.

I have now. I Googled it!

Click the link, at the bottom of the page there is a lengthy list of last meal requests by notable prisoners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_meal

A death row inmate should ask for a meal with ingredients from Mars. Or the other side of the world! LOL

Not that it would ever work.

At least ask for some cigarettes and cigars before you go. It's not like you have to worry about lung cancer! :o

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindExecutioner View Post

I've even asked clergy point blank if they can prove Jesus is any more real than any other god or goddess and they say they can't! Don't forget when Constantine converted the last of the remaining Zeus followers he NEVER said he can prove Jesus is any more real than Zeus. The church is all marketing and propoganda but ZERO truth!!

That's why they call it 'Faith.' It's something each person is entitled to and hopefully afforded - however destructive it might be.

Right but the idea that somehow one god (or goddess) is somehow more real than another is INSANE. Clergy have admitted to me it was just a tool used by ancient Christians to get non-Christians to stop worshipping other gods. This "one true god" lie by the church was nothing but propoganda.

Even the clergy cannot show Jesus is any more real than any other god and goddess.

Choosing a last meal can be a crime

I was thinking about food the other day. Well, I'll be honest. I think about food all the time. It's not so much I like to eat as I like to cook. And I was thinking about last meals. What kind of last meals do people have when they know there's only one left?

Some of us don't know where our next meal is coming from, but most of us can presume there will at least be one.

The selection of last meals must pose some sort of contradictions because it's a special meal, like one's birthday, but doesn't have the fun of blowing out the candles and making a wish.

On the website famouslastmeals.com, the first entry is for Velma Barfield, who was convicted and sentenced to death in 1978 for murder. She was executed by lethal injection in 1984 at the North Carolina Central Prison. What did she have for her last meal? The menu was Cheez Doodles and Coca-Cola.

Velma was convicted of murdering her boyfriend, Stuart Taylor, with a mixture of arsenic and beer. It's thought she also killed her mother and prior husbands. Velma was 62 at her last meal, and was the first woman to be executed in the United States since the 1976 reinstatement of the death penalty.

Like other death row inmates, Velma seemed to have found God, though later claimed she was only pretending.

You'd think that choosing a last meal before an execution would require serious thought. After all, it's the only last meal you can be certain of. Every other meal is based on the idea that more can follow, and that they can be better, if one has the inclination - as in, yeah I know pie is not a proper breakfast, but I'll eat a healthy lunch.

Having a webpage devoted to the idea of last meals is curious, because it layers a web-culture over a cultural practice (food), which is elevated in the last meal for the condemned person. Is the person supposed to feel happy they can order whatever they want?

In that sense Velma's choice seems like mockery. Teresa Lewis, on the other hand seems to have made a more (culturally) sensible choice. Convicted in 2002 and executed in 2010 for conspiracy in killing her husband and stepson, she chose a last meal of fried chicken, peas and chocolate cake. Before her death, lawyer and crime novelist John Grisham argued her sentence should be commuted to life in prison because she had not done the killing but had hired the killers. He was not successful.

Just for curiosity, other last meals listed on the webpage include Timothy McVeigh's choice of two pints of mint chocolate ice cream. He was responsible for the Oklahoma bombing of 1995, which killed 168 people. He requested his execution be televised, but he was refused.

Other people whose last meals are featured are Victor Fegeur, the last person to be executed before the moratorium, who chose a single olive. The famous serial killer Aileen Wuornos had a single cup of black coffee.

Bruno Hauptmann had celery, olives, buttered peas, french fries, chicken, cherries and cake. Interestingly, Bruno was tried as the kidnapper of the Lindbergh baby, but asserted his innocence throughout, pleading not guilty to the charges and refusing to confess in exchange for commuting his death-penalty to a life sentence. Maybe it was the thought of a lifetime of prison meals, which are said to be worse than hospital food.

That case continues to draw supporters and detractors, as the original event fades into the background and interpretations of the "evidence" are fore-grounded. It's sort of like trying to taste food by reading a restaurant review.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/o...rticle/1423518

Wow, I never knew McVeigh wanted his execution televised! Heidi, you got a link for that?

I once saw a 2 hour documentary on McVeigh a couple years ago and they never mentioned that and they covered his execution and post execution.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/o...rticle/1423518

and... "One of his appeals for certiorari, taken to the Supreme Court of the United States, was denied on March 8, 1999. McVeigh's request for a nationally televised execution was also denied." Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy..._and_execution

Senior Member Frequent Poster stixfix69's Avatar
    I am kind of surprised that Nichols didn't get the DP, since Oklahoma didn't put Tim McVeigh on trial, i figured they would have gone after Nichols hard, since he was tried in Oklahoma....Just seems unjust that out of that entire carnage, the state only got 1 guy, and gave him 161 life sentences....No idea why it needed to be 161 other than to try to give each victims family some sort of Justice, but i think the DP would have been more appropriate in the Nichols case....

They showed the "McVeigh Confessions" over the weekend on MSNBC. It's a VERY interesting two-hour special. People don't realize how powerful and effective and UNPRECEDENTED the bomb McVeigh built was. It seems NO ONE has ever built a bomb like that before!

The bizarre thing is McVeigh had a death wish and actually WANTED to die. Considering he was NOT religious that's a strange attitude to have.

Nichols was the pawn to McVeigh. Nichols basically did whatever McVeigh said eventhough Nichols was older than McVeigh! Nichols had a wife and family so he had EVERYTHING to lose while McVeigh was a loner so he didn't. Nichols KNEW his life was all over if he got caught which was rather likely however some say if McVeigh simply made that exit onthe highway he either would've gotten away or more likely it would've taken a long time to find him.

McVeigh actually left OFF his license plates and THAT'S why he was pulled over! It shows he subconciously WANTED to get busted!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information