Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Michael Shane Bargo, Jr. - Florida Death Row

Jury recommends death penalty for Michael Bargo

He will be sentenced at a later date for the murder of Seath Jackson

By Austin L. Miller
    Ocala News

A jury on Tuesday unanimously recommended Michael Shane Bargo be put to death for the murder of Seath Jackson.

At 5:05 p.m., nearly five hours after they began their deliberation, the seven women and five men let bailiffs know they had reached a decision.

After instructing those inside the courtroom — family members of both Bargo and Seath — to be respectful of the jury’s decision, Circuit Judge Anthony Tatti called for the jurors at 5:15 p.m. Three minutes later, the recommendation was read aloud. Bargo’s head was bowed.

At 5:24 p.m., when the clerk finished reading, Bargo, wearing a dress shirt and pants, wanted the judge to skip what’s called a Spencer hearing, which is when lawyers for the defense and prosecution argue their positions on sentencing. Bargo said there was no point in continuing this, and he wanted his statement to be placed on the record.

Tatti cautioned him to take his time and talk to his lawyers. He also said he has to follow the law, and the Spencer hearing cannot happen right away.

Candance Hawthorne, one of Bargo’s lawyers, said they will look to set a date for the next hearing. Court concluded at 5:27 p.m., with a request for Bargo to be returned to state prison granted.

Before leaving the courtroom, Bargo, who flashed a smile, hugged and talked briefly to his defense team, which includes Brenda Smith, another attorney.

“This is part of the process. We move forward with Micheal’s best interest, legal planning and strategy,” Hawthorne told the Star-Banner.

Both Seath’s mother, who was a fixture at the hearing, and Bargo’s father, Michael Sr., declined comment. Prosecutors Amy Berndt and Robin Arnold also declined comment.

After hearing the defense and prosecutors present their final arguments, the 12-member jury left the courtroom at 12:22 p.m. Tuesday to eat lunch and begin deliberations. But they were only making a recommendation on a sentence; Bargo’s conviction in the killing wasn’t at issue.

Tatti gave the jury members instructions before they left the room.

Court began at 8:35 a.m. Tuesday with Berndt, Arnold, Hawthorn, Smith and Tatti, hammering out the details of the jury instructions. That process finished at 10:38 a.m. Approximately three minutes later, Berndt delivered her closing argument.

For roughly 46 minutes, Berndt forcefully hammered home the state’s reasons why it believes Bargo, who took an active part in his defense, should be put to death for the murder of 15-year-old Seath.

In April 2011, prosecutors say, Bargo — along with co-defendants Amber Wright, Kyle Hooper, Charlie Ely and Justin Soto — lured Seath to a Summerfield home where they beat, shot and tortured him, then burned his body. His remains were placed into paint buckets and dropped into a water-filled quarry. Authorities say Bargo was the ringleader. He was convicted in August 2013 and sentenced to death row.

The Florida Supreme Court in 2017 granted Bargo resentencing because the jury recommendation for death was 10-2. The jury vote for death now must be unanimous; otherwise, like his co-defendants, Bargo will be sentenced to life in prison. He was 18 at the time of the murder. He is now 26. His resentencing trial started last week.

In her argument to the jury, Berndt, with the aid of a large-screen television, showed jurors a picture of the victim. She called the killing of the teenager “well thought out and organized” by Bargo. She said that despite his age at the time, Bargo had the presence of mind to flee the area after the crime and burn his cellphone to conceal his whereabouts. She said he knew what he did was wrong.

Berndt said even though Bargo experienced attention deficit disorder (ADD) and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and his parents endured a bitter divorce, Bargo had help. She talked about the psychologists and others who offered their time to be there for him.

As Berndt talked about the pain and anguish Seath must have been undergoing when he died, the victim’s mother held her head down and cried.

Berndt said that when Bargo’s father came to visit his son while Seath’s body burned in a pit, the elder Bargo said his son was normal.

The elder Bargo, who was in the courtroom, shook his head no.

“What kind of mental pain was Seath in?” Berndt asked.

Berndt talked about text messages sent between Seath and Amber Wright. She said Bargo played a role in making sure Seath showed up at the home.

Berndt ended by telling the jurors that “justice in this case is the sentence of death for Michael Bargo.”

Smith, closing for the defense, focused on Bargo’s age at the time of the crime. She said his brain was not developed. She said the people who participated in the crime were “children.” As such, she said, Bargo should not be put to death.

Smith said her client did not ask for the mental illness he suffered and argued it was not “something he could control.”

As for Bargo being the ringleader, Smith said, the only way anyone knows that is because of Kyle Hooper’s testimony. She said Hooper had an “ax to grind.”

Smith said Bargo’s childhood was not normal, despite what Berndt said. All of his problems — mental illnesses, his parents’ bad divorce and other turmoil — affected him.

Though she admitted Seath’s death was horrible, she said it did not rise to the level of Bargo being put to death.

“He will die in prison” if sentenced to life without parole, Smith said.

https://www.ocala.com/news/20190409/...-michael-bargo
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Excellent news! I know a girl who was writing this degenerate pondscum. I look forward to his death!

Edited out redundant information

Summerfield murder: Michael Bargo sentenced to death, again

By Austin L. Miller
    The Ocala Star-Banner

Michael Shane Bargo, 27, was accused of being the ringleader in the murder of 15-year-old Seath Jackson.

Michael Shane Bargo Jr. was sentenced to death again Thursday for the 2011 murder of Seath Jackson in Summerfield.

At a hearing Thursday afternoon in Ocala, Circuit Judge Anthony Tatti told Bargo that his sentence is death and ordered him transferred to prison to remain there until the day of his execution.

Bargo, who was shackled, did not flinch when he heard the sentence.

“The Court finds that a sentence of death is justified by law and the facts and circumstances of this case, and is appropriate for MICHAEL SHANE BARGO, JR. for his first degree murder of Seath Jackson,” Tatti’s 31-page sentencing order states.

As he was being fingerprinted, Bargo whispered to his dad, who had been a constant presence during his son’s court appearances. His father later declined to comment.

“We’re going file an appeal,” Candance Hawthorne, one of Bargo’s lawyers, said after the hearing. Hawthorne said she is looking forward to the Florida Supreme Court handling the case. Brenda Smith was another lawyer who helped with Bargo’s defense.

Sonia Jackson, the victim’s mother, who has been attending all the hearings related to her son, left the courtroom as soon as Tatti announced the death sentence.

Assistant state attorneys Amy Berndt and Robin Arnold, who prosecuted Bargo, declined comment.

Bargo becomes the youngest inmate on Florida’s Death Row, according to information on the Florida Department of Correction’s website. Bargo is one of eight people from Marion County currently on Death Row. The statewide total is 340.

Since 1979, ninety-nine people have been executed by the state, with three of those coming from Marion County. On average, Florida’s Death Row inmates have been 44.9 years old at the time of execution. Their average age when committing the offense was 27.4.

The men on Death Row are housed at Florida State Prison or Union Correctional Institution, both in Raiford, according to the FDOC website. The women on Death Row are housed at Lowell Annex

Bargo was 18 at the time of the murder. He is 27 now.

Three months after his new trial, Bargo addressed the court. He called his sentencing hearing a big circus and told the judge he did not get a fair trial because he had evidence to prove his innocence but the court had rejected it.

He insinuated that, if he is executed, his death will be on Tatti and the judge would be killing an innocent man.

In the sentencing order, Tatti gives background on Bargo’s convictions and, going into great detail, explains “each aggravating factor unanimously found to exist by the jury and all mitigating circumstances reasonably established by evidence.”

https://www.ocala.com/news/20190912/...to-death-again
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Death sentence affirmed on direct appeal.

https://law.justia.com/cases/florida...sc19-1744.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Death sentence upheld in teen's murder

By Sabrina Lola
    CBS12 News

The Florida Supreme Court on Thursday upheld a death sentence in the high-profile murder of a 15-year-old boy in 2011 in Marion County.

Justices, in a 6-1 decision, rejected an appeal by Michael Shane Bargo, who was convicted in the murder of Seath Jackson.

The victim was lured to a home and then attacked by Bargo and co-defendants, before being fatally shot by Bargo, according to the Supreme Court opinion. Jackson’s body was burned, with the ashes disposed in a water-filled rock quarry.

After Bargo was convicted, a jury voted 10-2 to recommend that he should face the death penalty. A circuit judge sentenced him to death, but the Supreme Court later ordered a new sentencing hearing because the jury recommendation was not unanimous.

During the resentencing, a jury unanimously recommended a death sentence, which was imposed. In the appeal, Bargo’s attorney raised a series of issues, including that a circuit judge had not appropriately considered “mitigating” factors involving Bargo having mental conditions.

But the Supreme Court majority, made up of Chief Justice Charles Canady and Justices Ricky Polston, Alan Lawson, Carlos Muniz, John Couriel and Jamie Grosshans, rejected the arguments.

Justice Jorge Labarga dissented, writing that the court should have conducted what is known as a “comparative proportionality review” that analyzes aggravating and mitigating factors in the case, Bargo, now 29, is an inmate at Union Correctional Institution, according to the state Department of Corrections website.

https://cbs12.com/news/local/death-s...n-teens-murder
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

On July 6, 2021, Bargo filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/fl...cv00355/391618

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Distributed for conference September 28, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-8243.html

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Bargo's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Numbers: (SC19-1744)
    Decision Date: June 24, 2021
    Rehearing Denied: January 26, 2022

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_fcgj.pdf

Recently a 75-minute video analyzing the police interrogation of all involved in this case came out on YouTube.

"There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Footage of Tracey Bargo, Michael Shane Bargo, Jr.'s biological mother, testifying before the court, in the penalty phase of Michael Bargo Jr.'s original death penalty trial.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=di8h-jpF8ds
    Last edited by maybeacomedian; 07-18-2023 at 02:17 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information