Rockers the Disturbed are handing over the proceeds from download sales of their new single to the families of the West Memphis Three.

The new track, 3, will be available at the group's official website and all monies from sales will benefit the Damien Echols Defense Fund, which helps cover legal fees, forensic testing, and investigative fees for the three men known as the West Memphis Three, who many believe were unjustly convicted of murder in Arkansas in 1994.

The Disturbed bandmates are among many celebrities and high-profile people who strongly believe that Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jessie Misskelley are serving prison terms for murders they did not commit.

Pearl Jam star Eddie Vedder, Johnny Depp and Dixie Chicks singer Natalie Maines are among those who frequently speak out on behalf of the incarcerated trio and perform at benefit concerts to raise cash for their legal aid.

Last year (10), Vedder told newsman Larry King he has become close friends with Echols, who is on death row.

He revealed, "After I've gone to visit Damien, there are days and stretches. And, you know, that experience resonates and stays within you. And I think it's one of the reasons I've really tried to do everything I could for the case... It's stuck with me. I think about it a lot.

"And especially sometimes when I'm in open spaces. He's on my shoulder. I'm thinking about him a lot."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...-three_1216086