Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jerry D. Lard - Arkansas Death Row

Death sentence upheld in AR police shooting

The Arkansas Supreme Court has upheld the murder conviction for a man sentenced to death for fatally shooting a police officer during a traffic stop in northeast Arkansas.

The court on Thursday rejected a request for a new trial and upheld the death sentence for Jerry Lard, who was convicted in the 2011 shooting death of Trumann police officer Jonathan Schmidt.

The court rejected several of Lard's arguments, including his objection to prosecutors showing jurors dash-cam videos of the shooting. Lard's defense attorneys admitted their client fatally shot Schmidt, but argued at trial that Lard suffered from a mental disease or defect.

In Thursday's ruling, the court said that Lard couldn't prevent the admission of the dash-cam video into evidence simply by conceding to the facts of the crime.

http://www.kait8.com/story/24406823/...olice-shooting
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Lard's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Arkansas
    Case Nos.: (CR-13-173)
    Decision Date: January 9, 2014
    Rehearing Denied: February 13, 2014

New lawyer appointed in Jerry Lard appeal case

HARRISBURG, AR (KAIT) - A man convicted in the murder of a Trumann police officer made a brief appearance in a Harrisburg courtroom Tuesday for a Rule 37.5 hearing, which is a special hearing for individuals sentenced to death in Arkansas.

According to the 2nd Judicial District Prosecutor's Office, Poinsett County Circuit Judge Brent Davis appointed Jerry Lard, 40, of Trumann a new lawyer in the appeal process. Lard will now be represented by Patrick Benca of Little Rock.

A Greene County jury convicted Lard in August 2012 of capital murder and was sentenced to death by lethal injection. Lard shot and killed Trumann Police Officer Jonathan Schmidt after a traffic stop.

The U.S. Supreme Court denied Lard's appeal Oct. 6, 2014. The Rule 37.5 hearing “directs the judge in death penalty cases to hold such a hearing within a specific period of time.”

The prosecutor's office also said Sheriff Larry Mills drove to Pine Bluff at 2 a.m. Tuesday ahead of the 9:30 a.m. hearing.

http://www.kait8.com/story/27157729/...rd-appeal-case

Murdered officer's father reacts to "possible" death row action

A local father of a murdered police officer is hopeful that with a soon-to-be new president, a potential action will play out.

Donald Schmidt, father to Jonathan Schmidt killed in the line of duty over 5 years ago in Trumann, read a document posted on the National Fraternal Order of Police’s Facebook page on Tuesday.

In the document, it shows a predicted summary of possible actions through executive order or action that the Trump Administration may take in its first 100 days.

One action stated is to issue new directives to U.S attorneys to seek the death penalty in federal cases involving murdered officers.

Although this is only a prediction made by the FOP, Donald Schmidt hopes the Trump Administration adds this to its agenda.

“They need to know their back is protected,” Schmidt said. “They need to know if they are senselessly murdered, for no reason at all, that the state and the federal governments have their backs.”

Schmidt’s son’s case was seen in state court, not federal, but he said that does not matter. He believes anyone who takes the life of a man or women in uniform, rather it is an FBI agent or a local police officer, should be on death row just like the man, Jerry Lard, that killed his son.

“Life in prison is not enough,” he said. “Jerry Lard executed my son. He didn’t just shoot him. He picked up my son’s revolver and while my son was laying down dying, he shot him right in the face, as my son told him don’t shoot me again, I have three children.”

Schmidt said this is happening too much since Lard killed his son in 2011, saying seeking anything less than death row for cop killers, is luxurious.

Region 8 News reached out to Chris Givens, assistant U.S attorney in the Eastern District of Arkansas. He said the Trump Administration has not contacted them with any directives involving this matter.

Also, according to the documented posted by the National Fraternal Order of Police, the predictions are based on statements made from the presidential campaign and media reports.

“Their lives are sacred,” Schmidt said. “It’s destroying our families. They need to be protected.”

http://www.kait8.com/story/34176518/...ath-row-action

Arkansas court says death row inmate can drop appeal

The Associated Press

The Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday ruled a death row inmate convicted of killing a police officer during a traffic stop is mentally competent to drop his appeal.

Justices in a 6-1 ruling rejected the appeal of Jerry Lard, who was convicted for the fatal shooting of Trumann police officer Jonathan Schmidt. Lard was the passenger of a car Schmidt pulled over during an April 2011 nighttime traffic stop.

Arkansas doesn’t have any executions scheduled. The last of the state’s lethal injection drugs expired last year, and the state has not replaced them.

An attorney for Lard cited a psychologist who found the inmate had a “mild” intellectual disability and was ineligible to be put to death. The attorney also said the lower court was wrong to accept Lard’s request to waive his post-conviction relief and accept his death sentence.

Justices upheld the lower court’s ruling that Lard could waive his relief. But the Supreme Court said it was too early to take up claims the inmate was ineligible to be put to death since an execution date had not been set.

During Lard’s trial, his attorneys didn’t deny that he killed Schmidt but said Lard was mentally ill or deficient and should be spared execution. In a dashboard video released after Lard’s 2012 trial, Lard is shown firing at Schmidt’s face, and the officer can later be heard off-camera pleading for his life.

The court in 2014 upheld Lard’s conviction, rejecting arguments that a judge shouldn’t have allowed testimony about comments Lard made in jail and photos of a tattoo on his back.

https://wtop.com/national/2020/03/ar...n-drop-appeal/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

We can expect an execution date once they get some lethal injection drugs
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

They are currently involved in lawsuit over them. Once that clears he will probably be scheduled on the same day as someone else.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Probably Timothy Kemp unless the 2017 stays are lifted

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Don Davis currently has no impediments to his execution and I don't think Stacey Johnson does either. Bruce Ward and Jack Greene are still on hold.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

They need to hurry up and deal with Greene before he croaks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information