Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So when do you think the next Show Me State execution will be?

MidwestExecutionHawk
    Only issue I heard was one lawsuit taking issue with the fact that non-medically trained personnel administer the injections. Also as part of that lawsuit, it took issue with the fact the state did not have a prescription for the thiopental as required by FDA guidelines. It was essentially tossed. The burden of proof was on the petitioners that it caused enough pain/suffering to constitute cruel and unusual punishment, as was alleged in the lawsuit. They did not meet their burden of proof. The legal standard I see used now with regard to lethal injections is that no more pain/suffering be inflicted than necessary for the mere extinguishment of life.

As for the other issue......from what I understand, MoDOC has the authority to change the protocol. There have been legal challenges to the use of pentobarbital nationwide. Ohio had challenges to their one drug protocol, which will take some time to litigate.

Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Delaware, Mississippi, Arizona, South Carolina and Virginia have all carried out executions with the 3 drug protocol with pentobarbital being the substitute. The legal challenges to pentobarbital have not succeeded.

Louisiana, South Dakota, Montana have indicated through one way or another that they intend to carry out future executions using pentobarbital. South Dakota and Montana have set new protocols into play. It may have been speculated that Louisiana would switch to pentobarbital. I am simply not certain. I saw it on Death Penalty Information Center (they lean against the death penalty, I know).

There is an execution scheduled in Idaho. Unless they are using thiopental, I would guess that they are using pentobarbital. We shall soon find out. The same in Oregon. Thiopental "legally" obtained expired. So foreign sources were used. I know that Nebraska bought it from India, but they had to destroy it after the courts said they could not use it. Didn't meet US pharmaceutical standards, for some reason. South Dakota obtained thiopental from India as well. I doubt with what happened in Nebraska, they'll use it.

Yet other states that use the death penalty are bogged down in lethal injection challenges of one type or another. None have indicated a switch to pentobarbital. So will Missouri's death penalty statute become irrelevant? Why hasn't there been pressure from Nixon or Koster about this issue? They are quite pro death penalty. I fear the statute will become irrelevant unless action is taken soon.

They gotta schedule something for 2012 at least!

MidwestExecutionHawk
    I just heard Nebraska bought sodium thiopental from Switzerland. It's enough for roughly 100 executions. Maybe Missouri can buy some from Nebraska or Switzerland? Or go back to pentobarbital. And I would agree. Waiting a few years between executions cheapens the current law. If you are going to have a law, you have to be willing to apply it. Otherwise, it is not taken seriously. I doubt Missouri wants to turn into California. They have 500 inmates on Death Row and are very reluctant to use capital punishment when someone is sentenced to death. Missouri is number 4 when it comes to the amount of executions carried out since 1976. From what I understand, AG Koster filed a motion with the Missouri Supreme Court to set execution dates for 13 on death row some time ago. From 2009 to 2011, there were only 2 executions. Dennis Skillicorn and Martin Link. Sounds like the Missouri Supreme Court has lost its nerve.

The ironic thing is the Missouri Supreme Court has to be 90% republican right?

One of these days I'm going to call the state supreme court clerk. I'll post the number when I do. I talked to that guy a few years ago and he was nice. He couldn't give out a ton of info but he was somewhat helpful.

Factual clarifications:

1) California has over 700 inmates on death row;

http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?...2FcFu.PQ9LPA--

2) Missouri is number five when it comes to executions carried out since 1976;

http://people.smu.edu/rhalperi/summary.html

3) The Missouri Supreme Court has four Democratic appointees and three Republicans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Supreme_Court

MidwestExecutionHawk
    Thank you for the clarification...............I didn't know they had more than 700 people on death row. And they've rarely executed prisoners.

Florida has edged up in the number of executions, it seems. They've been less hesitant recently to carry them out. Missouri has not executed anyone since February.

As for the appointees, does it say how many were under Nixon? Nixon is a staunch supporter of the death penalty and is a Democrat. Unlike the Democrats in Iowa.

You're welcome and one is a Nixon appointee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Supreme_Court

The question is what was the makeup of the Missouri SC when they were executing at their peak in the 90s and early 2000s?

Was it still 4 Dems and 3 GOP or different? Since those guys are appointed for life you would think it was the same or very similar.

But if a GOP judge got the cases he would likely give a date. Plus I'm sure at least one of those Dem judges is pro DP just like Nixon.

If you really want to know, try looking it up on Wikipedia or elsewhere on the Internet.

MidwestExecutionHawk
    It's hard to say sometimes with Democrats and Republicans.

I like to think of political views as being an entire spectrum. There are Conservative Democrats, Liberal Republicans and everywhere in between on the center. Generally, the more liberal they are......the more likely they are to be against capital punishment. There's another factor, too. There are religious considerations. Some religions are against capital punishment morally. As an ELCA Lutheran, my church is against it. However, the church is there more to provide guidance.

To see what the makeup was in years past, I would take a look at some of the supreme court documents..........either on paper or online if available. That should show the judges. Then check which administration they were appointed by.

I think there are heinous circumstances where the death penalty may be appropriate. Am I enthusiastic about criminals being executed? I am not because the loss of a life is something not to be taken lightly. Even if it is by the state or federal government. However, a message must be sent to society in some cases. The only people sentenced to death in Iowa were in US Federal Court. They killed drug informants and their children in a brutal manner. They got death for the children. In this case, I feel capital punishment is appropriate.

In the case of Missouri, they are essentially falling behind the rest of the nation. I read Idaho's protocols, which allow for Pentobarbital. They follow Arizona's protocol. Even the one drug protocol in Ohio has withstood legal challenges. South Dakota has the most adaptive protocol. They can use anywhere between 1-3 drugs and use either pentobarbital or thiopental as the first drug in that protocol. I say Missouri should follow that and keep them guessing. In the case of the 1 drug protocol, Ohio has a "failsafe" backup protocol of midlozam (versed) and hydromorphone.

In any case, Missouri is falling behind the pack. If they are truly serious about capital punishment, they need to be willing to carry it out. If they do not, their death penalty statute will have no teeth. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but this applies for those politicians and jurists in any state.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information