I'm a former police officer who's been retired for more than 22 years. I have the same view today as I did on my first day as a new officer: Most career criminals believe that killing a police officer is a near sure bet for the death penalty. When officers search for a “cop killer,” they know full well that anyone who would injure or kill a police officer would injure or kill anyone.

Many times, I and other officers have been in a situation in which a criminal or criminals had to make a decision whether to hurt or kill me and the possibility of being executed enters into the decision. If this thought isn't in their mind then, it wouldn't be when deciding whether to injure or kill any innocent man, woman or child. Most people would logically think that the officers were on high alert after a police officer was hurt or killed and that the officers knew the victim personally. In some cases they do.

All officers, whether or not they know the victim personally, know that no one is safe if this type of attacker is encountered. No one!

Wayne Mills, Oklahoma City

Mills is retired from the Midwest City Police Department.

Read more: http://newsok.com/cop-killer-usually...#ixzz1NjhmhdIZ