Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Anthony Gonzalez - Texas Death Row

And the liberals thought we wouldn't get any death sentences this year.....

If money wasn't such an enormous obstacle for capital cases here, you would see many more death sentences being handed out.

Juror talks about Gonzalez trial, death penalty decision

By JOCELYN TOVAR
    Fox San Antonio

SAN ANTONIO -- One of twelve jurors in a high profile Bexar County murder trial is giving us an exclusive look into what happened behind the deliberation doors.

"It was an obligation we had as citizens," said Tammy Cheatham. "And I think everybody in that room took it very seriously."

Cheatham is one of twelve jurors in the first death penalty conviction for Bexar County in six years.

Mark Anthony Gonzalez found guilty of murdering Sheriff Sergent Kenneth Vann back in 2011.

He was found guilty and a jury sentenced him to death last month.

Cheatham said she never expected to be seated on the jury since the mother and wife is also a crime fiction writer.

"I knew the very first day there that it must be something big," she said. "Based on the number of jurors in the room."

But she was selected, and it was only then that the weight of the jury's task at hand was fully realized.

"It's very hard to think you could potentially have someone's ability to live or die in your hands," she said.

The state presented their evidence flawlessly, in her opinion, and she wishes more citizens had the chance to see the prosecutor's tireless efforts in action.

It took Cheatham and the other eleven just one hour to decide guilt.

"You just don't know why he did what he did," she said. "But I have no doubt that he did it."

The sentencing portion was more exhausting.

One week later and during deliberations three jurors could not determine whether Gonzalez was a threat to society.

"I was one of those three people," she said.

The other jurors were able to convince her and she said video of a violent courthouse outburst by Gonzalez helped.

19 hours later and they determined life in prison was not enough.

"I can't say I don't still think about it," she said. "Because I do."

Going back to her normal life, writing about gruesome crime scenes, she said she never imagined the reality could be so much worse.

"Those photos were horrific," she said. "And I don't wish anyone to have to see something like that."

http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/fe...on-17244.shtml

Mark Anthony Gonzalez competency trial set to begin Wednesday

Gonzalez awaiting formal sentencing; jury assessed death penalty

SAN ANTONIO - Attorneys for Mark Anthony Gonzalez requested that a hearing on a prosecutor’s pretrial motion in his trial to determine competency be held in Judge Andrew Carruther’s chambers rather than in open court.

In October, a jury found Gonzalez guilty of capital murder and sentenced him to death for the ambush-style slaying of Bexar County Sheriff’s Deputy Kenneth Vann.

Gonzalez cannot be formally sentenced until his competency has been evaluated. That will be done by a jury during his trial set for Wednesday.

On Tuesday, his lawyers said they wanted the pretrial hearing held in chambers to avoid any pretrial publicity that they contend could taint prospective jurors.

Prosecutors did not oppose the move and Carruther’s granted the request.

“Our motion in limine was to limit what the jury can hear and to focus it only on the issue of competency,” District Attorney Nicholas “Nico” LaHood said. "The guilt/innocence has been litigated already.”

“He was found guilty and he was even assessed the death penalty,” LaHood said. "The defense wants to bring up other issues."

Gonzalez’s lawyers refused to comment, saying only that they want to avoid any pretrial publicity.

Both sides are expected to call expert witnesses skilled in assessing competency during the trial.

Testimony will likely begin on Thursday in Carruther’s Magistrate Court.

http://www.ksat.com/news/mark-anthon...egin-wednesday

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Jury finds convicted cop killer competent, death penalty to stand

Jury hears jailhouse phone calls

SAN ANTONIO - A jury has found Mark Anthony Gonzalez competent for the trial in which he was found guilty of killing Bexar County Deputy Kenneth Vann in an ambush-style barrage of bullets. He was sentenced to death in the killing last year.

The formal sentencing was on hold pending the outcome of the competency hearing. Formal sentencing is scheduled for Friday morning.

After hearing jailhouse phone calls between convicted cop killer Mark Anthony Gonzalez and his family and friends Dr. Brian Skop testified that Gonzalez was competent.

He testified on Monday during Gonzalez competency trial after listening to the calls.

“They bolstered my feeling that he was competent to stand trial,” Skop, a forensic psychiatrist, testified. “He seemed to be familiar with the situation.”

During one of those calls, Gonzalez discussed media coverage of his trial. He was convicted last fall of capital murder and sentenced to death for the slaying of Bexar County sheriff’s Deputy Kenneth Vann.

“They’re just gonna show the worst part,” he told a friend. “That’s all they’re gonna show. That’s the way the news works.”

Speaking with his mother during another call Gonzalez said, “I’m fine, I’m OK. I’m worried about you. That’s what I’m worried about.”

http://www.ksat.com/news/expert-witn...ller-competent

Cop Killer Gonzales Sentenced to Death

More than four years after he murdered Bexar County Sheriff's Sergeant Kenneth Vann as the lawman sat in his patrol car at a red light in Southeast San Antonio, Mark Anthony Gonzales, 45, was formally sentenced to death today by State District Judge Mary Roman.

Gonzales scanned the crowd in the courtroom this morning as he was brought in, chained at his wrists and ankles and wearing a red jail jumpsuit.

A series of mandatory appeals will now kick in, and after those are completed, Judge Roman will set an execution date.

Vann fired 46 shots from a high powered rifle at Vann's patrol car after Gonzales pulled up next to him at the red light. More than two dozen of the shots hit Vann, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Gonzales says drinking and taking prescription drugs led to a condition called automatism, in which he was essentially operating on auto pilot and didn't remember his actions. But testimony indicated that shortly after the shooting, Gonzales told a friend, "I just killed a cop, don't tell anybody."

Gonzales underwent a special psychiatric evaluation after he was convicted and a jury recommended a death penalty, to make sure he is mentally capable of being executed under U.S. Supreme Court guidelines. The test determined that he is competent.

It is likely to be several years before Gonzales gets an execution date. He will be transferred to Death Row at the Polunsky Unit in Livingston to await that decision.

http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-lo...death-14280392
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

gonzalezmark.jpeg

On January 28, 2016, Mark Anthony Gonzalez entered Texas's death row.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_ro...zalezmark.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Conviction and death sentence affirmed.

http://search.txcourts.gov/SearchMed...f-d9979ade3c35

APPELLANT'S MOTION FOR REHEARING DENIED:

https://search.txcourts.gov/handdown...ate=03/03/2021
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Distributed for conference October 29, 2021.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-5327.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information