Thread: There is nothing more deplorable than a MOTHER killing her children

There is nothing more deplorable than a MOTHER killing her children

Woman Who Killed Two Sons Found Dead In Arizona

TISK TISK TISK!!

LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa. -- A Lancaster County mother who was declared insane after killing her two young sons seven years ago has been found dead in Arizona.

Meghan Lippiatt, formerly of Mount Joy, killed her 2-year-old and 4-month-old sons in 2004.

Lippiatt avoided prison and the death penalty after being found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Arizona police say they found Lippiatt dead in her minivan in a canyon.

Officials believed she had been dead for nearly a week and suspect it was a suicide.

http://www.wgal.com/news/28164429/de...#ixzz1OeUjZpZu

How the hell did she get out of jail?? If they find you not guilty by reason of insanity that means you are committed to a mental hospital for a VERY long if it's a double murder case!

I presume the state run out of money (aka budget cuts) and the mental hospital decided that she´s one of the minor threats to others and so she had been released.

I can't believe they did that after she killed TWO little kids!! UNREAL!

I recall the Susan Smith case got so much national attention. Considering South Carolina is very conservative I'm surprised she didn't get the DP.

Susan Smith successfully used the my daddy molested me defense.

I agree Smith should have received the death penalty.

I was wrong... it´s unbelieavable (no not that I was wrong please read)....

Mental care not ordered for killer mom

Mount Joy woman who murdered 2 young sons had been found not guilty but insane. She is now free of any court control. No appeal allowed.

After Meghan Lippiatt was found not guilty by reason of insanity for killing her two young sons, the public wanted to know what would happen to her next.

Would she be required to continue mental health treatment?

Would she be released from prison and hospitals without having to answer to anyone?

Those questions were answered in a matter of minutes this morning after a brief hearing before Lancaster County Court Judge James P. Cullen — a hearing that ended with Lippiatt walking out of the courthouse, once again, a free woman.

The decision means that Lippiatt will not be under supervision or be required to receive psychiatric treatment.

And, prosecutors noted, they cannot appeal Cullen's decision.

Assistant District Attorney Kelly Sekula, who prosecuted the murder trial, had wanted the court to require Lippiatt, 32, to continue with psychiatric treatment based on the Mount Joy woman's own admission that she killed her two sons — Myles, 4 months, and 2-year-old Silas — in April 2004.

In a prepared statement, released after Cullen's decision this morning, Sekula said she believed Lippiatt "manipulated the symptoms of her mental illness to get away with murdering her two innocent children."

"The cold blooded killing of two innocent children is a tragedy beyond comprehension and it is extremely disturbing that the individual responsible for their deaths does not have any criminal or civil responsibility or consequences for their murders due to a claimed mental illness that remarkably resolved itself shortly after the trial, just in time for her to be released from custody forever," Sekula wrote.

In support of her argument that Lippiatt needs continued treatment, Sekula had asked that the entire record of the criminal proceeding — including all the psychiatric testimony during her trial last December — be incorporated into the record and taken into account.

Lippiatt's attorney, Julie Cooper, said that the criminal record doesn't indicate that "the person involved," is currently mentally disabled or presents a clear and present danger to herself and others.

Sekula reiterated that Lippiatt had threatened to harm her children and then carried out those threats by killing them.

Cullen, acknowledging that he heard the trial testimony and agreed that there was "no doubt," Lippiatt killed her sons, noted that the murder "was more than four years ago."

Without more information that Lippiatt was still in need of treatment, Cullen immediately dismissed the prosecution's request for "failure of proof."

Lippiatt, greeted with hugs by more than a dozen supporters sitting in the back of the courtroom, smiled but declined to comment as she walked out of the courtroom. Cooper also declined to comment.

After Lippiatt was acquitted of the murder charges by reason of insanity last December, Sekula filed a request asking Cullen to order Lippiatt to continue mental health treatment and undergo further evaluation.

'During Lippiatt's trial before Cullen without a jury in December 2007, defense attorneys James Gratton and Merrill Spahn argued that Lippiatt did not know right from wrong at the time of the murders.

The slayings were the culmination of a series of bizarre events in Lippiatt's life that began nearly a decade ago and worsened as the woman's mental condition deteriorated, Gratton said during the trial.

The double homicide was discovered when Lippiatt called 911, telling dispatchers she had just killed her sons.

She was arrested and charged with criminal homicide, but spent the next 3½ years at either Lancaster County Prison or Norristown State Hospital, where she received treatment for her mental health problems.

Since the day Cullen announced his verdict — not guilty by reason of insanity — and Lippiatt was released from prison, she has been under no official supervision.

"We did all we could to hold Lippiatt responsible for her actions during the trial and up to today's hearing," Sekula wrote in her statement.

"It was our position that it is inconceivable that Lippiatt was so extensively mentally ill at the time of the murders that she lacked criminal responsibility for the horrific killings of her children but now less than 5 years later she is fully recovered," she added.

Sekula said Lippiatt manipulated her behavior so "that she could get away with murder by insanity at the time of the offense," and then had to appear mentally sound to avoid commitment to a mental institution.

Source

What a joke!

This Meghan clearly scammed the system! The morons in Pennsylvania need to amend their system for cryin out loud!

I just looked her up and she's DEAD!! She was just found dead yesterday!! Probably a suicide!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Lawyer worried about Lippiatt

Three years ago, a local psychiatrist said Meghan Lippiatt's mental illness was in "good remission."

The psychiatrist acknowledged that Lippiatt, who admitted killing her two young sons in Mount Joy in 2004, was depressed with "psychotic features."

But, the doctor decided, the illness had subsided by December 2007, when after a weeklong trial Lancaster County Court Judge James Cullen returned a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity.

The judge ruled there was no medical opinion or legal basis that warranted keeping Lippiatt locked up.

People now wonder what was going on in Lippiatt's life from the time she was freed until she died this year when her car crashed in an Arizona canyon.

"I was always kind of worried about her," James Gratton, Lippiatt's trial attorney, said on Monday. "She was an extremely bright, articulate young woman but very troubled. And you just knew the troubles weren't gone."

Arizona authorities believe Lippiatt drove her minivan off Highway 60 into a Navajo County canyon. She had been dead for months before her body was found June 4, they said. Her death is a suspected suicide, but that may never be determined because no one witnessed the crash.

She was 35 years old; and, acquaintances believed, had made progress since killing her sons.

"She seemed to be doing well. I was hopeful she had gotten there," Gratton said.

But an Arizona investigator said Lippiatt recently told family members she wanted to leave Lancaster County.

"She wanted to go out to the Southwest and start over," said Greg Cardita, Navajo County medical examiner.

Lippiatt's friends said she recently lost a job and left on a whim.

"She didn't take her medication or anything. She just left," said one woman, who did not want to be named. "This (the killings and all that followed) drove her away from Lancaster."

Family members likely did not report the woman missing, Gratton speculated, because Lippiatt always was a free spirit. Gratton also said she was leery of doctors and traditional medicine.

"Meghan was very much a holistic treatment kind of person," he said.

"The judicial system isn't the fault here," Gratton added. "I really think the mental health system failed her."

Gratton met Lippiatt the day after she killed her sons — Silas, 2, and Myles, 4 months — inside a Mount Joy Township home on April 20, 2004.

"I didn't have a rational conversation with her," Gratton said of that initial meeting at Lancaster General Hospital. "She was raving about dark forces and dark powers."

Gratton, a veteran criminal lawyer, believed the woman was genuinely sick.

"(I've) seen every bogus mental health defense," he said. "She was a mess. She was the most crazy I've ever seen."

Gratton, with co-counsel Merrill Spahn Jr., began looking into Lippiatt's past. They found a recent pattern of bizarre behavior.

Local church officials also had noticed the strange behavior.

"They thought there was something seriously disturbed," Gratton said. "More than a couple people mentioned the word 'possessed.' "

Lippiatt, however, improved with time and treatment at Norristown State Hospital, her former attorney said.

"When she came back from Norristown, she was sharp. She was quite competent at trial," Gratton said.

At one point, she confided in Linda Cooper, a friend.

"She was very remorseful for what she did," Cooper said last week. "She wanted the death penalty. She told me that."

At trial, doctors for the commonwealth and defense agreed the woman did not know right from wrong when she killed the boys.

However, there was not a current opinion from a mental health expert deeming Lippiatt a danger to herself or others. Because of that, the judge freed her after the not-guilty verdict.

"My professional belief was that what happened is legally what had to happen," Gratton said of Lippiatt being freed. "My personal concerns were that she was going to get out and stop taking meds and decompensate."

Prosecutors apparently feared the same and filed motions to have Lippiatt committed. However, a doctor who examined Lippiatt in February 2008 found no reason to keep her under supervision.

"Meghan Lippiatt is not in need of inpatient psychiatric treatment on an involuntary basis at this time," the doctor wrote. " She does have a history of danger to others and of a suicide attempt. However, both of these were in an acute phase of her illness and were some time ago.

"Mrs. Lippiatt is not acutely mentally ill at this time; in fact, her condition appears to be in good remission."

Based on that opinion, Cullen reaffirmed his order. Prosecutors had no further legal avenues to have her committed.

Cullen was not immediately available to discuss the case.

"If there had been an opinion for detainment at the time of the verdict, Judge Cullen would have had the basis to hold her," Gratton said.

Because there was no such opinion, Lippiatt returned to her parents' home, at least temporarily.

Gratton said he bumped into Lippiatt last year at a local coffee shop. Lippiatt, who had divorced, was living on her own and taking college classes, Gratton said.

He thought Lippiatt had turned a corner — until he heard the news of her death.

"It's a shame," he said. "Meghan has always been plagued by demons, and I get the sense the demons caught up with her."

http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...#ixzz1PGHvXJBa

So they confirmed her death as a suicide?

Thread Information