Thread: How many States still have back-up methods of Capital Punishment?

Post How many States still have back-up methods of Capital Punishment?

Just out of intrest but how many states still have a back-up method of carrying out DP sentences bar from LJ?

Alabama - If execution is after 07-01-02, inmate may choose electrocution, otherwise lethal injection. Arizona - If committed before 11-23-92, inmate shall elect lethal injection or lethal gas. If no election made, then lethal injection. California - Inmate may elect lethal injection or lethal gas. If no election, then Lethal Injection. If one method invalid, then the other method. Delaware - Lethal Injection. If lethal injection held unconstitutional, then hanging. Florida - Lethal injection unless inmate elects electrocution. If lethal injection or electrocution held unconstitutional, then any legal method. Georgia - If committed after May 1, 2000 lethal injection. If before, electrocution. If electrocution held unconstitutional, then lethal injection. In 2001, Georgia Supreme Court held electrocution, as prescribed by statute for murders before 1999, unconstitutional.Idaho - Lethal injection. If impractical due to lack of “technical assistance,” then firing squad. Missouri - Lethal injection or lethal gas. (Unknown who decides) New Hampshire - Lethal Injection. If “impractical, then hanging. Ohio - Lethal Injection - If lethal injection held unconstitutional, then any subsequently prescribed legal method. Oklahoma - If lethal injection held unconstitutional, then electrocution. If electrocution held unconstitutional, then firing squad. South Carolina - Lethal injection, unless inmate elects electrocution. If Lethal Injection held unconstitutional, then electrocution. Tennessee - On or after 01-01-99, then lethal injection. Before 01-01-99, then electrocution, unless inmate elects lethal injection. If lethal injection or electrocution,l then any constitutional method. Utah - Lethal injection. If court holds that defendant has right to firing squad choice under prior law, then firing squad. If lethal injection held unconstitutional, then firing squad. Virginia - Lethal injection or electrocution chosen by inmate. If no choice made, then Lethal Injection. Washington - Lethal injection, unless inmate elects hanging. Wyoming - If lethal injection held unconstitutional, then lethal gas. Federal Government - Lethal Injection is general method pursuant to 28 CFR, Part 26. However, under the Violent Crime Control Act of 1994, the method is that of state in which the conviction took place, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 3596.

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/methods.htm

Thanks for that Heidi! Just one thing back when the Supreme Court was hearing Baze V Rees in 2008 some states halted the use of IJ until the case was setted did any state use their back-methods because I swore I read somewhere that one state used hanging on one Death Row inmate who was ment to have IJ but they hanged him instead,or am I going crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    Thanks for that Heidi! Just one thing back when the Supreme Court was hearing Baze V Rees in 2008 some states halted the use of IJ until the case was setted did any state use their back-methods because I swore I read somewhere that one state used hanging on one Death Row inmate who was ment to have IJ but they hanged him instead,or am I going crazy?
    You must be There were no US executions between 09/25/07 to 05/06/08

Thanks Heidi I had a feeling I was wrong but just asked to make sure I was probley got mixed with another case,just one other thing has a state ever used a back-method of execution on a death row imate who had been sentenced to death by the state's usual method of execution?

Thread Information