Thread: Does anbody think that Kansas will ever carry a DP Punishment out?

Post Does anbody think that Kansas will ever carry a DP Punishment out?

I just as as I have read that the new GOP Governor is antil-DP.

I donīt think it depends on the Governor - the last execution in Kansas took place in 1965.

Hereīs an intersting article about the DP in Kansas.

OPEKA -- On July 2, 1976 the United States Supreme Court, in Gregg v. Georgia, gave its approval to sentencing processes designed to address the Court’s prior concerns about arbitrary imposition of the death penalty. Following this ruling, many states adopted new death penalty legislation based on these processes. Kansas’ law went into effect July 1, 1994.

The non partisan Death Penalty Information Center (DPIC) in Washington, D.C. released a new report which shows that the Court’s attempts to fix the death penalty have failed: “Struck By Lightning: The Continuing Arbitrariness of the Death Penalty Thirty-Five Years After Its Re-instatement in 1976.” The report shows that race, geography, money, and other factors all combine to make the death penalty arbitrary in its application.

Today’s DPIC report findings reflect those found in a 2004 Kansas Judicial Council report, which found that geographical factors play a role in Kansas death sentences. Half of the 12 death sentences since 1994 (when the current death penalty statute was enacted) were handed down in one county: Sedgwick. The Kansas Judicial Council report found that “a capital defendant in Sedgwick County is much more likely to proceed to trial than one in Wyandotte County.”

“With the Kansas death penalty, an arbitrary factor like geography can determine who lives and who dies,” said Donna Schneweis, the Board Chair of the Kansas Coalition Against the Death Penalty.

“This is just another in a long list of the death penalty’s harmful effects,” said Schneweis. “We should replace the Kansas death penalty with a sentence of life without parole, which will ensure that the law is justly and uniformly applied to every case.”

During the 2011 Legislative Session, two bills to replace the death penalty with life without parole were introduced. Both HB 2323 and SB 239 remain in exempt committees for the 2012 Legislative Session.

Source

non partisan Death Penalty Information Center (DPIC) non partisan, my butt, I read “Struck By Lightning: The Continuing Arbitrariness of the Death Penalty Thirty-Five Years After Its Re-instatement in 1976.” a few weeks ago. I may have posted the report (opinion of the anti death penalty DPIC) It drives me bananas when the anti death penalty regime says ANYTHING they want, and expect the masses to except it as fact.

Is there any danger that these bills could be passed?

It's a strong possibility Slayer. If I recall correctly, last time these bills were introduced, it came down to a single vote.

ah,hell JLR

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    non partisan Death Penalty Information Center (DPIC) non partisan, my butt, I read “Struck By Lightning: The Continuing Arbitrariness of the Death Penalty Thirty-Five Years After Its Re-instatement in 1976.” a few weeks ago. I may have posted the report (opinion of the anti death penalty DPIC) It drives me bananas when the anti death penalty regime says ANYTHING they want, and expect the masses to except it as fact.
    The DPIC are very cunning in their intellectual dishonesty. They put themselves out as being "non-partisan" which, of course, doesn't mean unbiased. They sport a deceptively neutral-sounding name that lulls lots of lazy reporters into thinking that all of the DPIC's information is on the level. Some news organizations have caught on to the DPIC's little game--most notably, the AP always refers to them as being an avowedly anti-DP group. I, personally, have written to quite a few journalists about this and some have actually started pointing out the DPIC's stance. Much is made of journalists' liberal bias. I do think there is quite a bit of truth to this. More importantly, however, I've found the much more severe problem with reporters to be outright laziness and sloppiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    The DPIC are highly cunning in their intellectual dishonesty. They put themselves out as being "non-partisan" which, of course, doesn't mean unbiased. They sport a deceptively neutral-sounding name that lulls lots of lazy reporters into thinking that all of the DPIC's information is on the level. Some news organizations have caught on to the DPIC's little game--most notably, the AP always refers to them as being an avowedly anti-DP group. I, personally, have written to quite a few journalists about this and some have actually started pointing out the DPIC's none-too-readily-volunteered stance.

Many believe that journalists tend to have a liberal bias. I do think there is actually quite a bit of truth to this. More importantly, however, I've found the much more severe problem with reporters to be outright laziness and sloppiness.

Thread Information