Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: William Charles Morva - Virginia Execution - July 6, 2017

Senior Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moh View Post
    His sentence will be carried out on July 6, 2017.
    Only three days left, is there anything new in that case?
    Greetings

I've got to say, this is one of the most pathetic attempts to save a death row inmate’s life. He committed the first murder during a well planned escape and the second murder during a calculated ambush. There is no excuse for this and nothing that warrants mercy. If McAuliffe commutes this, he is truly spineless.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Looming execution divides mother, daughter of slain deputy

The daughter of a sheriff's deputy killed by a man set to be executed in Virginia said Wednesday that she has urged the state's governor to spare the man's life, but the slain deputy's mother says she hopes the prisoner is executed.

William Morva is scheduled to receive a lethal injection Thursday for the 2006 killings of Derrick McFarland, a hospital security guard, and Eric Sutphin, a sheriff's deputy.

Rachel Sutphin, the deputy's daughter, said she is among those urging Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe to halt Morva's execution.

"I am against the death penalty for religious and moral reasons," Sutphin said in an email to reporters. "I have fought and will continue to fight for clemency for all death row inmates until Virginia declares the death penalty unconstitutional. I have sent my own letter to the Governor showing my support for clemency," she said.

Meanwhile, the deputy's mother says that while she feels sympathy for Morva's family, she does not want the governor to intervene.

"I have no hatred for this creature who shot him execution-style. I just want justice for my son," Jeaneen Sutphin told The Roanoke Times in her Virginia home Wednesday.

Morva was awaiting trial on attempted robbery charges in 2005 when he was taken to the hospital to have an injury treated. There, he attacked a sheriff's deputy with a metal toilet paper holder, stole the deputy's gun and shot McFarland, in the face from two feet away before fleeing. McFarland was unarmed.

A day later, Morva killed Eric Sutphin with a bullet in the back of the head. The sheriff's deputy had been searching for Morva near Virginia Tech's Blacksburg campus when he was shot. Morva was later found in a ditch with the deputy's gun nearby.

Morva's attorneys argue his crimes were the result of a severe mental illness that makes it impossible for him to distinguish between delusions and reality.

Jurors were told Morva suffered from a personality disorder that resulted in "odd beliefs." He has since been diagnosed with delusional disorder, a more severe mental illness akin to schizophrenia, his attorneys say.

Before his escape, Morva told his mother that his health was "dwindling" and that someone in jail wanted him to die. His attorneys say his escape and the killings were spurred by Morva's belief that his life in jail was at risk.

Morva's clemency bid has gotten support from national mental health advocates, several Virginia lawmakers and two United Nations human rights experts.

"We are concerned at Mr. Morva's deteriorating psychosocial condition," U.N. Special Rapporteurs Agnes Callamard and Dainius P?ras said in a statement Wednesday. "The denial of reasonable accommodation in detention can be considered a form of discrimination against him because of his mental health condition," they said.

Other relatives of Sutphin and McFarland either haven't returned calls or could not be reached.

A prosecutor in Morva's case has urged McAuliffe to not intervene, saying in a letter that several experts who examined Morva before his trial agreed he had a "superior IQ" and suffered from a variety of personality disorders.

"To assert some 10 years later that all three of the original experts were wrong is absurd," Montgomery County Commonwealth's Attorney Mary Pettitt told McAuliffe. "With enough time and motivation one can always find an expert to say what you want to hear but that doesn't mean it's true or accurate," she said.

McAuliffe, a Catholic who says he personally opposes the death penalty but has an obligation to uphold the law as governor, has called off one execution since taking office. In April, he granted clemency to Ivan Teleguz, saying jurors in the murder-for-hire case were given false information that may have swayed sentencing.

Virginia governors have halted executions for mental health concerns before. In 2008, Gov. Tim Kaine commuted a man's death sentence amid concerns about his competence. A decade earlier, Gov. Jim Gilmore spared a man with schizophrenia.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/e...ution-48452072
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Governor McAuliffe still weighing decision in William Morva case

ALBEMARLE CO., Va. - With less than 12 hours until William Morva's scheduled execution, Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe said he was still considering whether or not to intervene in the case.

McAuliffe was in the Charlottesville area to dedicate highway improvements along Route 29.

After the ceremony, he told reporters he would hold one more meeting on Morva's clemency petition after his return to Richmond.

"And I take this very, very seriously as I said. I didn't sleep a wink last night. This wears and tears on you," McAuliffe said. "It's a very hard thing to do. I've got to be consistent. I've got to uphold the law. I took the oath of office as Governor, but I want to make sure the actions I take, I'm taking them appropriately."

McAulliffe said he had a few more questions that would be answered when he returned to Richmond.

He said he plans to make the decision as soon as possible after that meeting.

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Go...432915523.html

Virginia governor won't stop execution plan

RICHMOND, Va. — Virginia’s Democratic governor says he won’t spare the life of an inmate whose lawyers say was under the influence of delusions when he killed two men during an escape in 2006.

A statement issued by Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s office said he has declined a clemency petition in the case of 35-year-old William Morva, who is scheduled to receive a lethal injection at 9 p.m. EDT Thursday. The statement says the governor didn’t find a substantial enough reason to intervene.

Morva’s attorneys have said the man suffers from a profound mental illness that made him believe his life in jail was in danger when he went on the killing spree. Morva’s attorneys said jurors weren’t aware how severe his mental illness was before they sentenced him to death.

Jailed in 2005 on accusations that he tried to rob a convenience store, Morva was taken to a hospital to treat an injury. There, he attacked a sheriff’s deputy, stole the deputy’s gun and shot an unarmed security guard before fleeing. A day later, Morva shot another sheriff’s deputy and was later found in a ditch with the deputy’s gun nearby.

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn...9-8df23a891c90

William Morva executed by lethal injection for 2006 killings

GREENSVILLE COUNTY, Va. — William Morva was put to death by lethal injection at 9:15 p.m. at the Greensville Correctional Center in Greensville County.

When asked if he had any last words, Morva responded “no,” according to witnesses.

The Virginia man was convicted of killing a hospital security guard and a Montgomery County deputy in 2006.

Morva’s last appeal was denied hours before his execution when Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe announced he would not extend clemency to the convicted murderer.

“I personally oppose the death penalty; however, I took an oath to uphold the laws of this Commonwealth regardless of my personal views of those laws, as long as they are being fairly and justly applied,” McAuliffe said in a released statement. “Thus, after extensive review and deliberation consistent with the process I have applied to previous requests for commutation, I have declined Mr. Morva’s petition. I have and will continue to pray for the families of the victims of these terrible crimes and for all of the people whose lives have been impacted.”

The Supreme Court decided not to intervene in the execution earlier this year.

In August of 2006, Morva was an inmate at the Montgomery County Jail, awaiting charges on charges of burglary and attempted robbery. During a visit to the hospital for treatment, Morva overpowered Derrick McFarland, a hospital security guard and fatally shot him.

The next morning, Morva used McFarland’s gun and fatally shot Montgomery County Sheriff’s Corporal Eric Sutphin, who attempted to capture him. That same day, Morva was captured.

A jury sentenced him to death in March of 2008 for the capital murder of a police officer. Since then, his attorneys have argued that Morva suffers from a serious delusional disorder.

His attorneys said Morva had no previous record of violence before these incidents.

“Prior to his trial, Mr. Morva was misdiagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder, a condition characterized by “odd beliefs,” and considered substantially less severe than delusional disorder,” they wrote.

Morva’s attorneys said mental health experts that evaluated Morva and testified during his trial were not made aware of his mental state in the years before the crimes.

“The trial was fundamentally unfair because the jurors were not told about the severe mental illness at that William has in the role and played in the crimes,” said Morva’s court-appointed attorney Dawn Davison. “In 2014, he was evaluated by a court-appointed psychiatrist and she was the one who diagnosed him with the delusion disorder, which is a psychotic disorder.”

Davison told WTVR CBS 6 in a Skype interview from her Charlottesville office that she hasn’t seen her client in more than four years.

“William doesn’t accept visits from his counsel,” she explained. “He thinks we are part of a bigger conspiracy to kill him. William has also been declining visits from his family for many years and I know that’s weighed heavily on [his mother, Elizabeth.]”

Numerous individuals and agencies petitioned McAuliffe to commute the sentence to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

On Wednesday, the United Nations also called for the execution to be halted. Cpl. Sutphin’s daughter also asked McAuliffe to spare Morva’s life.

Twenty-four Virginia legislators also petitioned the governor to grant clemency.

Montgomery County Commonwealth’s Attorney Mary Pettitt wrote McAuliffe a letter that urged him not to grant clemency.

Pettitt further explained to WTVR CBS 6 a second separate issue is whether Morva is now mentally ill and whether a mentally ill person should be executed, which she did not address in the letter.

https://www.google.com/amp/wtvr.com/...execution/amp/

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Mentally ill convict becomes Virginia’s first ‘secret’ execution

VIRGINIA has performed its first execution under a new, secretive protocol after the state’s governor declined to intervene in the case of a mentally ill murderer.

The inmate, who killed a hospital security guard and a sheriff’s deputy after escaping from custody in 2006, was executed after an unsuccessful campaign to spare his life.

William Morva, 35, was pronounced dead at 9.15pm after a lethal injection at the Greensville Correctional Center in Jarratt. It was the first execution carried out in Virginia under a new protocol that makes more of the lethal injection procedure secret.

Morva’s execution came hours after Virginia’s Democratic governor announced that he would not spare Morva’s life despite pressure from mental health advocates, state politicians and attorneys who said the man’s crimes were the result of a severe mental illness akin to schizophrenia that made it impossible for him to distinguish between delusions and reality.

Morva, who was wearing jeans and a blue shirt, said “no” after he was asked whether he had any last words. A few minutes later, he could be heard speaking, but it was not clear what he was saying.

Morva was awaiting trial on attempted robbery charges in 2005 when he was taken to the hospital to treat an injury. There, he attacked a sheriff’s deputy with a metal toilet paper holder, stole the deputy’s gun, and shot an unarmed security guard, Derrick McFarland, in the face before fleeing. A day later, Morva killed another sheriff’s deputy with a bullet to the back of the head. The deputy, Eric Sutphin, had been searching for Morva near Virginia Tech’s Blacksburg campus when he was shot. He was sentenced to death in 2008.

In denying a clemency petition, Governor Terry McAuliffe concluded Morva received a fair trial.

The Democratic governor, who said he is personally against the death penalty, noted that experts who evaluated the man at the time found he did not suffer from any illness that would have prevented him from understanding the consequences of his crimes. He also said prison staff who monitored Morva for the past nine years never reported any evidence of a severe mental illness or delusional disorder.

“Mr Morva’s petition relies on the diagnosis of a psychiatrist who evaluated him nearly seven years after his trial and conviction,” said Mr McAuliffe. “I took an oath to uphold the laws of this Commonwealth, regardless of my personal views of those laws, as long as they are being fairly and justly applied.”

Experts who examined Morva for his trial said he suffered from personality disorders that resulted in “odd beliefs.” After his trial, a psychiatrist diagnosed him with delusional disorder, a more severe mental illness akin to schizophrenia that made him falsely believe, among other things, that he has life-threatening gastrointestinal issues and that a former presidential administration conspired with police to imprison him, his attorneys said.

Morva’s defenders said he had long suffered from psychological delusions which rendered him incapable of understanding the consequences of his actions, and that jurors were not given an accurate picture of his mental state during his trial. The governor’s refusal to spare Morva came a day after two top UN human rights officials called for a stay of execution, expressing deep concern that “Mr Morva’s original trial did not meet fair trial safeguards.”

Relatives described Morva as a happy child who began to deteriorate mentally as a teen. In the years before the killings, Morva regularly slept in the woods and was known around Blacksburg as “Crazy Will” and “Barefoot Will” for his tendency not to wear shoes, even in winter. He was banned from Virginia Tech’s campus after police found him half naked on a bathroom floor.

Morva is the first inmate executed in Virginia since officials made changes to the state’s protocol that have drawn fire from attorneys and transparency advocates. Those changes came after attorneys raised concerns in January about how long it took to place an IV line during the execution of convicted killer Ricky Gray.

Execution witnesses used to be able to watch inmates walk into the chamber and be strapped down. A curtain would then be closed so the public could not see the placement of the IV and heart monitors. After the curtain was reopened, inmates would be asked whether they have any final words before the chemicals started to flow.

In Morva’s execution, the curtain was closed when the witnesses entered the chamber and was not opened until he was strapped to the gurney and the IV lines were in place. Virginia used a three drug mixture, including midazolam and potassium chloride that it obtained from a compounding pharmacy whose identify remains secret under state law.

Morva’s lethal injection began about 9pm after the warden read him the court order of his execution. Shortly after the drugs began flowing, his stomach moved up and down quickly several times before he became motionless. Morva is the third inmate to be executed since Mr McAuliffe took office in 2014. In April, Mr McAuliffe granted clemency to Ivan Teleguz, saying jurors in the murder-for-hire case were given false information that may have swayed sentencing. Among those who had urged Mr McAuliffe to spare Morva’s life were the daughter of the slain sheriff’s deputy, two United Nations human rights experts, and representatives from the Hungarian Embassy. Morva’s father was born in Hungary and Morva was a Hungarian-American dual national.

“Our message and William’s story and his family’s story were resonating with a lot of people, and I don’t know why it didn’t resonate with the governor,” Morva’s lawyer Dawn Davison said after the execution.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/mentall...9bcf21129062fe

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMartel View Post
    Among those who had urged Mr McAuliffe to spare Morva’s life were the daughter of the slain sheriff’s deputy, two United Nations human rights experts, and representatives from the Hungarian Embassy. Morva’s father was born in Hungary and Morva was a Hungarian-American dual national.

Ah, he was hungarian. Like me. The only one Hungarian ever on the American death row.

I dont think Hungary had urged to spare Morva’s life. Or it was not a serious request. Because the Hungarian Prime Minister is secretly pro DP. Because of the EU he cannot talk about his own opinion. He does not care about the life of criminals. And he also hates Hungarians who have moved abroad.
    ✹ Sorry for my terrible English ✹

🐰 I am really afraid of the needles, drowning, burning, pain, sharks and spiders. So the death row is not my place. Although there are no sharks there.

Morva had never been to Hungary his parents moved here. He inherited citizenship from his parents. He's as Hungarian as Orban is Austrian.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-14-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information