Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To applause, Perry defends Texas death penalty

To applause, Perry defends Texas death penalty

Texas Gov. Rick Perry is defending the death penalty in Texas and says he's never struggled with whether any of the inmates executed during his time as governor might have been innocent.

When Perry defended capital punishment, he drew strong applause from the scores of people in the audience at the Republican debate Wednesday night at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.

As of today, 234 people have been executed in the 10-plus years that Perry has served as governor of Texas. That's the highest number of any American governor.

The audience first applauded when NBC News anchor Brian Williams cited the number of executions in Texas. Perry says he believes that such a response reflects how much Americans support capital punishment for particularly heinous crimes.

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2011/09/0...death-penalty/

It's gratifying to hear a governor so forthrightly advocate capital punishment for the most heinous of murders.

Quote Originally Posted by Moh View Post
    It's gratifying to hear a governor so forthrightly advocate capital punishment for the most heinous of murders.
    I TOTALLY agree dude! I also want to thank Heidi for starting this thread since I was about to start one.

The irony is I'm not even a republican and I disagree with most things Perry says and does BUT I strongly agree with the pro death penalty stance! The anti-DP crowd come across VERY badly by defending vicious killers! 3 cheers for Texas for standing up for murder victims all over their state!

Personally, I'm a generally liberal Democrat in favor of the death-penalty option for murder. I can't stand it when abolitionists (who are mostly liberals) make all DP supporters out to be rednecked, bloodthirsty bigots. One can be liberal about plenty of things and, not inconsistently, draw the line at violent crime, particularly capital murder. I only wish a great many liberals were more concerned about the victims of crime than about the perpetrators.

Personally, I'm a generally liberal Democrat in favor of the death-penalty option for murder. I can't stand it when abolitionists (who are mostly liberals) make all DP supporters out to be rednecked, bloodthirsty bigots. One can be liberal about plenty of things and, not inconsistently, draw the line at violent crime, particularly capital murder. I only wish a great many liberals were more concerned about the victims of crime than about the perpetrators.
    I'm just like you! I'm generally a liberal democrat as well on 98% of issues. I'm only "conservative" on the death penalty and the rampant illegal immigration but those are NOT really liberal issues! Look at Europe. It's very difficult to get legal entry there unless you have a good case for asylum and Europe is the most liberal place on the planet! Since when is justice against a VICIOUS KILLER a liberal issue??

The truth is MOST Americans are pro DP and I bet if they took an honest survey in Europe most European nations would be pro DP too!

Moh, you are in Italy so you don't think Italy will let Amanda go right? I actually met an Italian lady at the pool this summer who was born and raised in Italy and didn't come here till 21 and she's still in her 20s but she says Italy will not let Amanda go and she is guilty. What do you think?

BTW, I've been to Italy. Rome, Florence, and Pisa. Very nice country! I never killed anyone either!

Much as Governor Perry's state of Texas faces a problem of mass illegal immigration, so do Italy and the rest of Western Europe. Here in Italy they usually "deport" illegals by handing them an expulsion order which requires them on their honor to leave within ten days. Unsurprisingly, few of them actually leave. It's awfully hard to become a legal immigrant here, but very easy to be an illegal one. I've never quite understood what the problem was with simply flying them back to wherever they come from. The planes and fuel would surely cost less than the masses of illegals that Italy and Europe just can't handle [not to mention the particular problems associated with Muslim (largely North African) immigrants].

As for Knox, Sollecito and Guede, I have no idea what'll happen. All I can be sure of is that none of them will actually serve very long sentences if their convictions are eventually upheld on appeal/second trial. As for their guilt, they all look guilty to me, but as I wrote on the Knox thread, I've just never heard of a case where three such different people who hardly knew each other got together and decided to commit a murder. It's really a weird case.

Anyway, once again, kudos to Governor Perry for unabashedly voicing his strong support for capital punishment.

How much support for capital punishment is there in Italy?

According to the four-year-old article linked below, roughly half.

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...ight=europeans

According to the four-year-old article linked below, roughly half.

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...ight=europeans
    Wow that's pretty good considering how insanely against it the government is when they used to execute people for STEALING!!

Americans, especially those who are ‘pro-life,’ side with Rick Perry on death penalty

When Gov. Rick Perry said “Americans understand justice” when it comes to using capital punishment against the harshest criminals, he was right.

Texas plans to hold its 235th execution under Perry tonight, about a week after a debate audience offered a round of applause for his record.

More than two-thirds support the death penalty for murder convicts, and the proportion is even slightly higher among people, like Perry, who identify as “pro-life” or oppose abortion, according to surveys by the Public Religion Research Institute.

PRRI’s founder, Robert P. Jones wrote:

While Perry is out of step with the solid majority (56 percent) of Americans who say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, his support for capital punishment is widely shared.

And while the tensions inherent in his anti-abortion/pro-death penalty position may raise the eyebrows of some Catholic theologians and students of semantics, they appear to be settled tensions strongly held by an overwhelming number of Republicans and even most Americans.

Given these facts, it seems unlikely Perry will face much of a challenge on the question of the consistency of his stance on these positions.

http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/2011...death-penalty/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information