Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: United Arab Emirates

United Arab Emirates

Killers to avoid execution

Seventeen Indians on death row in the United Arab Emirates on conviction of killing a Pakistani are to avoid execution by paying over $900 000 in “blood money,” The National newspaper said on Thursday.

“The victim's family accepted an increased blood money payment of 80 million Pakistani rupees,” or about $927 000, after rejecting an offer of 427 000 dirhams (about $116 000), the Abu Dhabi-based daily reported.

The offer was presented to an appeals court in Sharjah, an emirate north of Dubai, on Tuesday, it said, adding that “lawyers believe a final judgment may be issued as early as next week, and the men could be back with their families in months.”

Under sharia, or Islamic law, the family of a murder victim can waive the death penalty for the perpetrator. This is often done in exchange for payment, or “blood money.”

A Sharjah court of first instance in March 2010 sentenced the 17 to die after convicting them of beating to death a Pakistani man identified as Masri Khan in what was said to be a dispute between rival bootleg liquor gangs.

However, the convicts have “denied any knowledge of the deceased and denied being involved in a bootlegging operation that allegedly led to the man’s death,” The National said in a previous article.

They said that “they had never spoken to a public prosecutor, and all the confessions were extracted by police after severe beatings,” it said. - AFP

http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/kill...wComments=true

17 Indians on death row to walk free

Seventeen Indians who were sentenced to death in a bootlegging murder case, will walk free anytime from now after an appeal court dropped their capital punishment.

SHARJAH — Seventeen Indian expatriates who were sentenced to death in a bootlegging murder case that took place three years ago, will walk free anytime soon after an appeals court waived the capital punishment after blood money was paid to the victim’s family.

The Sharjah Court of Appeal reduced their jail terms to two years followed by deportation after an out-of-court blood money settlement of Dh3.4million.

The convicts, 16 from Punjab and one from the neighbouring state of Haryana, were found guilty by the Sharjah Shariah Court of killing a Pakistani national and injuring three of his compatriots during a turf war over an illegal alcohol business in January 2009. The family of the victim, Misri Nazir Khan, accepted the blood money in July.

Following the settlement, presiding judge Abdullah Yousuf Al Shamsi announced the verdict on Monday morning.

Advocate Bindu S Chettur, a member of the legal firm hired by the Indian government through the Indian Consulate in Dubai to argue the case in the appeals court, said the court took a lenient view in suspending their sentence.

“As part of the procedures, the court can ask for a settlement and it is at the discretion of the parties on whether to agree to a settlement or not. As per this procedure, the Indian community members led by SP Singh Oberoi, who were already negotiating for a settlement, proposed to pay the blood money. The settlement did not come through the intervention of the lawyers or the Consulate,” she said.

“As they have already served three years in jail, they can be released anytime from now. They will be released from jail after the official formalities are over and arrangements for their deportation are done,” she added.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...section=theuae

17 former death row Indians held in prison by civil case

DUBAI - The 17 Indian men who won a reprieve from death row this month in a murder case will not be released from prison until a related civil compensation case is settled, according to an Indian businessman who paid blood money to waive the men's death penalty.

The men were expected to be released from the Sharjah jail today after three years in prison, following the completion of court procedures. A Sharjah court had commuted their sentence for the murder of a Pakistani man in a bootlegging brawl two years ago.

The death sentence was waived after the hotelier SP Singh and other donors paid Dh3.4 million in blood money to the family of the Pakistani victim, Misri Nazir Khan.

However, two other men who suffered injuries in the brawl have asked for compensation, thus delaying the release of the convicted, Mr Singh said.

"They have asked for compensation for injury to their hands, saying they cannot work since the injury," said Mr Singh, adding that a compensation amount had not been specified.

"Of course, the 17 men are disturbed because they thought they would see their family soon, but I have told them not to lose hope. Like we faced a huge sentence like the death penalty, we will also face this civil case."

No date has been set yet in the Sharjah civil court to hear the case filed by the two men, Mushtaq Ahmed and Shahid Iqbal.

Khan was beaten to death in an industrial area in Sharjah in January 2009 during a turf war over alcohol bootlegging. The 17 men were found guilty and were sentenced to death in March 2010 by the Sharjah Court of First Instance.

However, on September 12, the Sharjah Court of Appeal reduced the men's death sentence to two years in prison, less time than they already served, followed by deportation.

The ruling followed the blood money settlement paid by Mr Singh and other donors. It was one of the highest blood money payments in the Sharjah court's history.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...-by-civil-case

17 men taken off death row, but back in court

DUBAI - The 17 men reprieved last month from death row, where they had been sent for the killing of a man in a brawl over bootlegging, were back in court yesterday.

Two Pakistani men who claimed to have been injured in the same fight have filed a compensation claim against the Indian men, which was yesterday heard in the Sharjah reconciliation committee.

The committee heard that Mushtaq Ahmed and Shahid Iqbal were injured in the January 2009 fight that killed the Pakistani Misri Nazir Khan. The two want Dh1.5 million for their injuries.

"The committee asked the [Indian] men if they want to pay compensation," said SP Singh, a hotelier who, along with other donors, paid Dh3.4 million blood money to the family of the dead man to secure the Indian men's release.

But Mr Singh said after the meeting: "We do not want to give any compensation to them."

The committee will refer the case to Sharjah civil court if the two sides cannot reach an agreement.

Mr Ahmed has said his injuries make it difficult for him to work.

"I cannot work because my hand had to be operated on after the sword injury and now I cannot lift anything heavy," he said. "It has been difficult to support my family because I have not been able to earn. Compensation is our right."

The next hearing in the case has been set for October 18.

Khan was beaten to death in an industrial area in Sharjah during a turf war over alcohol bootlegging.

The 17 men were found guilty of his murder, and were sentenced to death in March last year by the Sharjah Court of First Instance.

But last month the Sharjah Appeal Court commuted the men's sentence to two years, which was less than they had already served.

The men were not released, however, because the Public Prosecution had referred the appeal court's judgment to the Federal Supreme Court.

The prosecution argued that the ruling had not taken into account the plight of the injured men.

"The court was silent about the two injured," said Bindu Suresh Chettur, the legal representative whom the Indian government appointed to represent the 17 convicted men.

"This has not been examined and … to rectify that error it has been sent to the apex court."

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...-back-in-court

UAE: Death Sentence of 2 Indians Commuted

Two Indians, who were facing death sentence in the UAE for killing a compatriot, are set to be released this month as their death penalty was commuted by a Sharjah Sharia court after Rs eight lakh was paid in blood money to the family of the victim.

The two youths from Punjab had been awarded death sentence in Sharjah for bootlegging and murdering another Indian from Andhra Pradesh.

Talwinder Singh from Kapurthala and Paramjiit Singh from Gurdaspur were in prison since 2009 for murdering Chinna Ganganna Chepuri from Hyderabad. The case was being heard at a Sharia court in Sharjah.

"We have paid blood money, which alongside other expenses, have cost around Rs 10 lakhs. Their death penalties have been waived and they will now only get three years of jail, which they have almost served," S P Singh Oberoi, a local businessman and founder president of Indian Punjabi Society told PTI.

Oberoi said the verdict was delivered on Tuesday after a pardon letter was signed by the family of the victim.

"It will take around a week to 10 days for the two Punjabis to be released," Oberoi, who has been making efforts to get several of such individuals released, said.

Oberoi had paid Rs eight lakh as 'diya' or blood money to the family of Chepuri last month.

Earlier, the hotelier was instrumental in securing the release of 17 Indians, who were awarded death penalty for killing a Pakistani in Sharjah. Oberoi had helped raise blood money for the Indians.

http://news.outlookindia.com/items.aspx?artid=743209

4 Dubai expats may avoid death with blood money

Family of a murdered UAE expatriate has agreed to accept blood money, paving the way for four other expatriates from Bangladesh to avoid death penalty.

In last June, a Dubai court handed down capital punishment to the four hailing from Habiganj for killing their coworker from Munshiganj at a company in the country, reports our Sylhet correspondent.

Families of both the victim and the convicts in a meeting on Thursday reached the compromise, Mujibur Rahman, Chunarughat upazila nirbahi officer, told The Daily Star.

According to Islamic law, blood money is paid by killers as compensation to the family of a murder victim.

Necessary papers and documents would be prepared this week in line with the negotiations, he said, adding then those would be sent to Bangladesh consulate in Dubai through the home and foreign ministries.

The official said Khalilur Rahman, Robiul Mia, Ashrafuzzaman and Zahidul Islam of Habiganj and Nazrul Islam of Munshiganj were used to work in a company in Dubai.

Two years ago, he said, they got into a clash over a trifling matter resulting in the death of Nazrul.

Police filed a murder case against the four after the incident and a Dubai court on June 27 last year awarded them the death sentences.

But, the payment of blood money amounting 2 lakh Dirham to the victim’s family could save the lives, the court added.

The Dubai authorities sent the papers of the verdict to the expatriates' welfare ministry and the family members.

The family of the convicts then contacted the Chunarughat UNO, who arranged the negotiation with the victim’s family through his counterpart in Tongibari.

The Chunarughat UNO took the representatives of the convicts to Munshiganj and held a meeting with the victim's family in presence of Tongibari UNO Rafiqul Islam and local upazila Chairman Shaokat Ali Khan.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig....php?nid=36516
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Worker gets death penalty for killing sponsor

The RAK Criminal Court of First Instance has sentenced an Asian worker to death by the firing squad for killing his sponsor in 2010.

After the family of the victim refused reconciliation, a court bench presided by Judge Yusuf Rajab and comprising Judge Hamad Abdul Karim and Judge Arif Humaidan, sentenced the culprit to death.

As per the court records, the incident happened in May 2010. The prosecution’s arraignment sheet said the defendant admitted to premeditatedly hammering the victim to death after a heated argument over a financial dispute at the shop he worked. Though the defendant fled the scene after closing the shop, the police arrested him in a few hours after the crime was discovered.

The defendant said he was angry with his sponsor because he treated him badly and used abusive language frequently, after subjecting him to physically harsh work.

In his plea, the defence lawyer said his client was neither responsible for nor aware of his deeds because of a mental disturbance he suffered years ago. He had also been treated harshly by his sponsor.

However, the medical report showed that the defendant had been mentally and psychologically sound.

(Source: The Khaleej Times)

UAE death sentence for British man on 'drugs charge'

He has not been named but UAE newspaper the National says he is 21 years-old.

It said an Abu Dhabi court heard how he sold an undercover officer 20g of the drug worth 1,500 UAE Dirhams (£262).

The Foreign Office said it was in "contact with the British national and his legal team and continue to provide consular assistance".

"I can confirm that a British national is facing death penalty in the UAE," a spokesman said.

But he said the Foreign Office was unable to confirm details of the case.

The newspaper report said that the Briton had been arrested alongside a 19-year-old Syrian man.

The Briton's mother collapsed outside the court after the sentence was passed, it added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18587614

Asian gets death penalty for heroin trafficking

ABU DHABI: The Abu Dhabi Criminal Court sentenced an Asian national to death for bringing 80 capsules of heroin weighing 642 grammes for the purpose of trafficking.

The details date back to the time when the Anti-narcotic Department received a tipoff that an Asian was entering the country with heroin.

The suspect reportedly called someone asking him to bring Dhs5,000 to the airport.

The police then laid a trap for the suspect and arrested him.

UAE: Death row duo pardoned by victim’s family

Two prisoners at Dubai Central Jail who are on death row for a murder they committed in 2001 are to be deported after being pardoned by relatives of their victim.

Serji Alexander Doboni from Russia who was 21 at the time of the crime and Sefiri Andre, an Ukrainian, will be freed after the Dubai Public Prosection technical office agreed to waive their death sentence after they were pardoned by the parents of the victim.

“I contacted my mother back home. I have my mother and my sister in Russia and I told them that I will be released and go back home,” Doboni said.

“I regret what I did. It was evil behaviour. I was young and careless. This is the lesson of my life. I just want to be with my mother. My father passed away during the time I have been in jail,” Doboni, who is 33 now, told Gulf News on Thursday.

http://deathpenaltynews.blogspot.com...ms-family.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information