Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No More Last Meals on Texas Death Row

No More Last Meals on Texas Death Row

The long-standing tradition of allowing death row inmates one last special meal of their choosing before they enter the execution chamber ends today, said Brad Livingston, executive director of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Livingston made the announcement just hours after receiving a letter from state Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, in which the chairman of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee called for an immediate end to the practice he called an "extremely inappropriate" privilege.

"Effective immediately, no such accommodations will be made," Livingston said in an e-mailed statement. "They will receive the same meal served to other offenders on the unit."

Whitmire's letter to the TDCJ came in response to the last meal provided Wednesday night to Lawrence Brewer, a white supremacist who was convicted for his role in the 1998 dragging death of James Byrd Jr., a black man, in the East Texas town of Jasper. According to the Houston Chronicle, Brewer requested but did not eat a feast of a final meal: two chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet, a large bowl of fried okra, three fajitas, a pint of Blue Bell ice cream, and a pound of barbecue with a half loaf of white bread.

"I have yielded to TDCJ judgment in the past, but now enough is enough," Whitmire wrote. If TDCJ doesn't end the practice on its own, Whitmire wrote that he plans to pass a law that will stop it. "Death row inmates before execution should be fed the same meal as any other inmate on the unit the day of the scheduled execution."

Jim Harrington, director of the Texas Civil Rights Project, said he is opposed to the death penalty, but he agreed with Whitmire's sentiment. "It is anomalous that you would do this for anybody in prison," Harrington said. "To me, it sort of reflects sort of a guilty idea, some guilt that the person is going to be executed."

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/201...xas-death-row/

I think this is a true deterrent....

WTF?? Do they mean he didn't eat ALL of it or didn't eat ANY of it?? What the hell is the point if you don't even touch it??

There goes the last meal thread since Texas executes more inmates than any other state BY FAR!

This still makes no sense. Just because one inmate does something stupid doesn't mean you have to ruin it for ALL of them! Plus I've seen a documentary on Texas death row. All the last meals are made in the TDJC kitchen! It's not like they're buying this food at a buffet or something!

Senior Member Frequent Poster stixfix69's Avatar
    IMO.....This is just so petty....These guys are getting put down, let them have a last meal of their choosing......

Death row inmates are entitled to years of appeals, last moment visits with their loved ones, and a peaceful death. They certainly do not deserve an elaborate or gluttonous last meal. Bravo TDCJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Death row inmates are entitled to years of appeals, last moment visits with their loved ones, and a peaceful death. They certainly do not deserve an elaborate or gluttonous last meal. Bravo TDCJ!
    I agree with Heidi. Remember the crime they committed. They can eat what everyone else gets and like it.

Quote Originally Posted by stixfix69 View Post
    IMO.....This is just so petty....These guys are getting put down, let them have a last meal of their choosing......
    I agree! I find it hard to believe at the next Texecution 10/27 they won't give the condemned inmate even ONE item he asks for! For example if he just asks for a pizza and THAT'S IT I find it hard to believe they'll say no!

Ordering 10 different items forget it but just 1 is reasonable enough. You're about to KILL THEM so give them a break and feed them what they want. And I'm VERY pro DP as you can tell by my name!

The condemned inmates last meal is nothing more than trivia, something for us to talk about, and another thing I have to search for after an execution. In Texas death row inmates can have visits from non family members, numerous pen pals, a radio, and commissary accounts for foreign lunatics to deposit money. They took a life, they don't deserve a special meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    The condemned inmates last meal is nothing more than trivia, something for us to talk about, and another thing I have to search for after an execution. In Texas death row inmates can have visits from non family members, numerous pen pals, a radio, and commissary accounts for foreign lunatics to deposit money. They took a life, they don't deserve a special meal.
    But they can't even touch their loved ones. Not even on the day of execution. I'm OKAY with that! Since their victims couldn't do it either.

But the last meal goes back to Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece for cryin out loud! You're about to kill them so let them have 1 or 2 items they want!

Again, I agree with Heidi. I just don't see how capital murderers have earned any special consideration. They can eat the same food that all of the other inmates get.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information