Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court of the United States

Wow this is big considering. Trump only acknowledged this a few weeks ago right before election day. Who is Trump going to nominate?
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

I’m guessing Amy Barrett or Amul Thapar
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    I think it'll be Barrett, most likely. Just a few days ago Trump released a list of possible nominees, and Rao was left out. According to an article I read, that had to do with her insufficiently conservative view of abortion.

If Trump wants to enrage democrats, however, he should pick a white male like Scalia.

I just can't wait for the fight that is going to occur. Anyway, it will heavily impact the presidential race, I´d say.

When you have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to the most powerful institution in the country to a 6-3 majority, you don't play precarious games. It is furthermore a chance to nullify swing vote Roberts. You take the opportunity.

If the vote isn't held prior to election day, there's still the risk to motivate Republicans to vote - if the vote fails a do-over is contingent on the vote.

Moreover, in this scenario, vulnerable Republicans such as Gardner can vote yes as a parting finger to the dems if ousted.

At any rate, nominate promptly. Table everything else in the Senate. Above all else, even election, filling this seat must be the singular and utmost priority.

Alfred, Katsas would be the best. And I would love the apoplectic reaction to a white male replacement. But I believe that this nominee must be a woman to be politically viable.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    True Aaron, but two things. One, it will cost about 40 district judgeships. McConnell was working on them. Second, if the President nominates a candidate before Ginsburg is 6 feet under, the democrats will not cease saying how disrespectful the Republicans are. On the other hand, they may keep her above the ground for weeks.

Fun fact: Trump is currently giving a speech at an event in Minnesota, apparently unaware of Ginsburg´s death.

EDIT: he´s is clearly unaware, he just discussed appointing judges.

I'm drawing the line in the sand here. This is my litmus test. If Republicans fail to capitalize on this opportunity, I will complete my disavowal and forever be finished with the party. I've already been teetering on the brink of disembarking, and this will be the deciding event.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    McConnell will have to cancel the October recess that many vulnerable republicans are counting on to campaign.

So be it. This is worth losing the Senate.

It looks like the senate is going to go democrat. Collins is way down in the polls. He should just go for it. This might be his legacy right here.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Exactly, the NPCs are going to upend everything anyway. Make the tectonic change while you're in power.

Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread Information