Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court of the United States

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    I like Gorsuch a lot given he’s been completely solid on capital punishment but more moderate on other social issues (re: Bostock v. Clayton County). Get you a judge who can do both
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Thomas has no intention of retiring anytime soon. Alito is considering retirement as he is 70 years old. Thomas is 72 insisting that a good friend mentioned that he will die on the Court. That interview suggests that there could be a vacancy upcoming for Alito, Breyer and/or Ginsburg.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    I perpetually remind myself how much different the court would be right now if not for 78,000 votes / 120,000,000+ in 2016.

Alito and Thomas ought to retire at the end of this term so that President Trump can appoint two young conservatives in their place. I certainly wouldn't want Alito and/or Thomas to pass away during a possible Biden administration.

A lot of democrats have said how irresponsible it was of RBG to not retire in 2013/2014 when Harry Reid could’ve nuked the filibuster to confirm her replacement.

By the way, G.W. Bush appointee John Roberts is also eligible to retire now. Unfortunately, I think he enjoys wielding his swing vote far too much to step down now.

That’s correct, he’s 65 and has 17 years of judicial service, but I also think he wouldn’t want Trump to pick his replacement.

I sort of wish Alito was younger. He’s probably the most conservative justice out there on the Supreme Court besides Clarence Thomas on the death penalty. I can’t bring myself to like Kavanaugh.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized for possible infection

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was hospitalized Tuesday for a possible infection, according to a spokeswoman for the court.

The justice, 87, received treatment at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore after experiencing fever and chills. She underwent a procedure to clean a bile duct stent and will stay in the hospital for a “few days,” court spokeswoman Kathleen Arberg said in a statement.

“The Justice is resting comfortably and will stay in the hospital for a few days to receive intravenous antibiotic treatment,” she said.

Ginsburg, the oldest Supreme Court justice, has endured a range of health issues in recent years. In January, she said she was “cancer-free” after undergoing treatment for what was likely pancreatic cancer last year.

The year before, she underwent treatment for cancerous growths on her lungs.

Ginsburg and the rest of the court just concluded a flurry of work, issuing rulings on President Donald Trump’s financial records, LGBTQ rights, abortion rights and the president’s efforts to shut down the Obama-era program to shield Dreamers from deportation, among other topics, in a two-week period.

President Bill Clinton appointed Ginsburg, a liberal stalwart, to the top U.S. court in 1993. The court currently has a 5-4 conservative majority — though it stymied some of the Republican Trump’s priorities in its recent decisions, drawing the president’s ire.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/supr...infection.html

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    Fever and chills... I'd say let her have a covid-test. Perhaps we're witnessing the end game.

Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread Information