Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court of the United States

She hasn't shown up to a single committee hearing on any judges this year she doesn't care.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm extremely wary of her, adopting two third world children is a big red flag to me.
    This a big no endorsement from Mike. She's yet another left of center pick. Anyone who "wept" over George Floyd isn't right wing in the slightest.

Amy Coney Barrett ‘wept’ with her multiracial family after George Floyd death

By Ebony Bowden
    The New York Post

Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett spoke about how the death of George Floyd in May at the hands of police was “very, very personal” to her, as the mother of two black children, during her confirmation hearing on Tuesday.

The appeals court judge said she believed racism was an ongoing problem in the United States but argued it was a policy matter for Congress, not the judicial system, to fix.

During day two of the hearing, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) asked President Trump’s nominee for the high court if she had watched the video of Floyd’s death that sparked a historic conversation about civil rights and police reform and how it had impacted her.

“Senator, as you might imagine, given that I have two black children, that was very, very personal for my family,” said Barrett, 48, a mom of seven who adopted two children, Vivian and John Peter, from Haiti.

The conservative judge spoke about how she had to have a difficult conversation with Vivian, 17, and the rest of her children about police brutality.

“It was very difficult for her, and we wept together in my room. It was also difficult for my daughter Juliet, who’s 10. I had to try to explain some of this to them,” Barrett told Durbin.

“I mean, my children, to this point in their lives, have had the benefit of growing up in a cocoon where they have not yet experienced hatred or violence and for Vivian, to understand that there would be a risk to her brother or the son she might have one day of that kind of brutality, has been an ongoing conversation,” she continued.

“It’s a difficult one for us like it is for Americans all over the country,” she said.

When pressed on the issue of race in the United States, the judge said: “I think it is an entirely uncontroversial and obvious statement, given as we just talked about the George Floyd video, that racism persists in our country.”

But the Supreme Court nominee who would replace the late liberal icon Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the court said it was not her place as a judge to tackle the problem.

“As to putting my finger on the nature of the problem, whether, as you say, it’s just outright or systemic racism or how to tackle the issue of making it better, those things are policy questions,” she said.

“They’re hotly contested policy questions that have been in the news and discussed all summer,” she said, adding, “Giving broader statements or making broader diagnoses about the problem of racism is kind of beyond what I’m capable of doing as a judge.”

House Democrats passed their own police reform bill in June but Democrats in the Senate swiftly killed police reform when they refused to debate or even bring a vote on the GOP bill, shepherded by Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina, the only black Republican senator.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/13/amy-co...e-floyd-death/
    Last edited by Mike; 10-13-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lagoa it should’ve been

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    I don't think she actually wept, but of course if you don't show enough "empathy" in the eyes of the dems, you get lynched. If they had succeeded in portraying Barrett as indifferent to racism, it could've put some Republicans under so much pressure to tank the nomination. I don't think she had much choice other than showing sympathy.

I'm with Alfred.

Moreover, I'm not going to pretend that George Floyd was a good man. He wasn't. But the actions of the police were inexcusable and they must be prosecuted. Moreover, watching a dude get his neck crushed by a knee for nine minutes is sure to elicit a visceral reaction. I'll admit I haven't watched the video because I don't really have the stomach for it.

Anyway, she had to be sympathetic. Any nominee would have taken the same stance. Being unsympathetic would have alienated Tim Scott for sure, and maybe others.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    I don't think she actually wept, but of course if you don't show enough "empathy" in the eyes of the dems, you get lynched. If they had succeeded in portraying Barrett as indifferent to racism, it could've put some Republicans under so much pressure to tank the nomination. I don't think she had much choice other than showing sympathy.
    Am I living in a different reality at this point? Has this nation not suffered from race riots over the past 5 months? The people who care about "indifference" to racism are the ones out in the streets and won't vote for any of the Republicans under any circumstances.

You can't win an optics war with these people because they won't listen to anything you say because you aren't in their tribes.

The Floyd narrative along with Taylor's are manufactured lies that are going to sink the Republicans. The constant bending of knees and not shutting the riots down is losing them votes. We don't need another comprised pick we already have three of them, a fourth one will be the death knell for this era.

I agree with the vast majority of what you say. It's not about winning over dems or the rioters. It's about not hemorrhaging two GOP senators. As I said, Tim Scott and likely Romney (who marched with BLM) defecting would tank the nomination.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    Mike, I agree with you on the race riots, and that it is hard to win optics wars against the dems.

However, even if Clarence Thomas or Alito were in that seat, they would've comdemned the treatment of Floydd.

If Bork's words "intellectual feast" as a description of service on the Supreme Court is enough to tank his nomination, then relativism towards the Floydd case would certainly be enough for Barrett.

These hearings are merely an exercise in giving socially desirable answers. And don't think that senators who are about to face reelection in 3 weeks are willing to vote for a nominee who says something stupid on race relations.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Shep3's Avatar
    This a thousand times this. Mike you might not like it but this whole thing is a stage show everyone has to play their part in Barrett has to give answers that the media can twist as little as possible. Also while she might not have literally wept it would seam reasonable for her to be concerned if it effected her children doesn’t mean she will base her entire judicial philosophy on it (as her later votes against death row inmates in July proof)

The Judiciary Committee has advanced Barrett to the full Senate. Vote was 12-0 after democrats boycotted the vote.

Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread Information