Page 43 of 61 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court of the United States

Senior Member Frequent Poster Shep3's Avatar
    Collins is irrelevant they can lose 3 votes and still get a tie her, the Alaska Rhino, and the pompous mitt Romney can all go suck eggs Mitch will get this through.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    So I'm seeing talk that the top three are Barrett, Lagoa, and Thapar. I've already outlined my case for Barrett. Lagoa served on the Florida Supreme Court, and was among the majority who voted to recede from Hurst - so stellar pick. Thapar's record also suggests he's solid, from his handling of death penalty appeals on the 6th Circuit.

I personally would really get behind Barrett, Chad Readler (previously called for expanding the juvenile death penalty) of the 6th Circuit, or Kenneth K. Lee of the 9th Circuit.

Barrett also earned her JD from Notre Dame, so it'd be nice to have have a non Ivy Leaguer on the court.
    For me it's a tossup between Thapar and Kethledge - Kethledge was my favourite out of the 2018 picks, and honestly Thapar just gives off good vibes.
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Over the past 50 years Republican presidents have picked 13 of the past 17 SCOTUS Judges. Looking at how bad the judiciary is and the flaming garbage that the court has been dishing out over that time period. I have no confidence that this next pick will be whatever a "conservative" is supposed to be. Every time the R's finally believe they have a majority either a swing comes or a judge will come out as left wing.

Democrats don't have this problem, they place staunch left wing judges on the bench yet Republicans can't place a couple of good one right wing ones on.

Anyone he picks will be a slightly better improvement than Ginsburg, but things generally won't improve. Roberts is the swing now and Gorsuch is willing to declare a majority of a state an Indian Reserve. From 1991-1993 there was a single Democrat appointed judge on the bench and what did they do? They upheld Roe vs Wade. From 1994 to 2005 the court was 7-2 same deal, same result more left wing "progression". This circus over a person that both sides know will be weak and will subvert a "conservative" agenda in the future amuses me.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Over the past 50 years Republican presidents have picked 13 of the past 17 SCOTUS Judges. Looking at how bad the judiciary is...
    I agree that conservatives are usually more likely to be betrayed, but that should not be exaggerated. Many of these picks were confirmed by Democratic Senates, so it is not so shocking that they were not truly conservative.

Justice Clarence Thomas was confirmed by a Democratic Senate and is nonetheless the most conservative Justice since then.

Justice Byron White was appointed by a Democratic President, but was conservative on many issues, including the death penalty and abortion.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 09-19-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Over the past 50 years Republican presidents have picked 13 of the past 17 SCOTUS Judges. Looking at how bad the judiciary is and the flaming garbage that the court has been dishing out over that time period. I have no confidence that this next pick will be whatever a "conservative" is supposed to be. Every time the R's finally believe they have a majority either a swing comes or a judge will come out as left wing.

Democrats don't have this problem, they place staunch left wing judges on the bench yet Republicans can't place a couple of good one right wing ones on.

Anyone he picks will be a slightly better improvement than Ginsburg, but things generally won't improve. Roberts is the swing now and Gorsuch is willing to declare a majority of a state an Indian Reserve. From 1991-1993 there was a single Democrat appointed judge on the bench and what did they do? They upheld Roe vs Wade. From 1994 to 2005 the court was 7-2 same deal, same result more left wing "progression". This circus over a person that both sides know will be weak and will subvert a "conservative" agenda in the future amuses me.
    To be fair this was a world where the filibuster was an issue and Nixon and Ford didn’t give a crap about the courts. Regan also was to trusting and the whole Souter thing was basically a fraud.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    At the rally in North Carolina Trump confirmed the nominee will be a woman. So no Thapar, Kethledge etc.

It needs to be a woman to avoid the fake rape allegations - a woman can't really do that to a guy after all. Sorry not sorry but she really can't.

Granted, it can and has happened but it's extremely rare.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Get your guesses in before Trump reveals Ginsburg's successor.

I'm hitting on Amy Coney Barrett.

I can honestly see Justice Stephen Breyer leaving the Court in the very near future!
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

My money is on Barbra Lagoa she’s got it all and and good chunk of Hispanic (especially Cuban) voters will rally around her.

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    Lagoa went to Columbia while Barrett went to Notre Dame and Trump has said he likes the Ivy League schools, even though I think it would be nice to have more justices who didn’t go to one.

Page 43 of 61 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread Information