Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court of the United States

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    I regularly hear that SCOTUS decides on about 100 cases yearly. Now I'm a bit confused. Does this include all the filings from DR inmates? If not, why?

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    SCOTUS hears oral arguments and rules on the merits of about 100 cases per year of the more than 10,000 cases submitted to them.

Most death row inmates are denied certiorari or review, who are among the more than 10,000 cases submitted to them. If so, it means the district court and/or circuit court’s decision stands.

If not, it means either a constitutional issue needs addressed or some lower court got it wrong.

May 26, 2020

Speculation swirls about next Supreme Court vacancy

Just months before Election Day, the question of whether President Trump will get to select a third Supreme Court justice hangs over the final weeks of the court's term.

Speculation over a possible vacancy has focused in recent years on the prospect of Justice Clarence Thomas exiting while Republicans control the White House and Senate, and alternatively on the health of the court's aging liberal bloc.

Top Senate Republicans drew fresh attention to the bench recently when they said they would confirm a new justice if given the chance despite 2020 being an election year, in an apparent reversal of their rationale for blocking President Obama's nominee late in his second term.

Such statements, including by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) earlier this month, revived the unsubstantiated whisper campaign that Thomas was considering retiring now to allow Republicans to replace him with a like-minded, though younger, jurist to lock down conservatives' 5-4 majority. Since Trump won the 2016 election, rumors of Thomas's departure have swirled, particularly after the retirement of former Justice Anthony Kennedy in June 2018 cleared the way for Trump's second Supreme Court nominee.

Thomas, 71, has repeatedly denied the claims. "I'm not retiring," he said adamantly last spring while speaking at Pepperdine University.

According to more than a half dozen Washington lawyers, friends and former Thomas clerks interviewed by The Hill, the justice has no plans to leave the bench.

"He will die on the court," said Thomas's close friend Armstrong Williams. Helgi C. Walker, a partner at Gibson Dunn and a former Thomas clerk, said her onetime boss continues to wield his principled views to "drive the debate about key issues."

"I have no reason to think the justice is going anywhere," she said. Thomas, who has served on the bench since 1991, is the longest-tenured justice, but only the third oldest. He is younger by a decade or more than two of the court's reliably liberal justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer. The justices' age and health has come into sharper focus amid the coronavirus pandemic, as six of the nine justices are age 65 or older, placing them in a population that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention considers to be at risk for serious illness from the coronavirus.

The older justices are Ginsburg, 87; Breyer, 81; Thomas, 71; Samuel Alito, 70; and John Roberts and Sonia Sotomayor, both 65. Elena Kagan is 60, and Trump's two Supreme Court picks, Brett Kavanaugh and Sonia Sotomayor, both 65. Elena Kagan is 60, and Trump's two Supreme Court picks, Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch, are 55 and 52, respectively.

As the oldest justices on the bench, Ginsburg and Breyer have faced recurring questions about retirement. When asked, Ginsburg has often replied that she would continue working on the court "as long as I can do it full steam."

Ginsburg, who is considered the leader of the court's liberal wing, has survived a total of four bouts with cancer since being appointed to the Supreme Court by former President Clinton in 1993.

Most recently, she underwent treatment earlier this month for a benign gallbladder condition. While recovering in the hospital, Ginsburg called in to oral arguments, which the Supreme Court held remotely by teleconference as part of its response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Ginsburg was expected to return to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore over the following weeks for follow-up outpatient visits and to have a gallstone non-surgically removed, a court spokeswoman said.

Earlier this term, Ginsburg missed a day of oral arguments in November due to a stomach bug but returned to work later that week. She missed oral arguments for the first time during the previous court term while recovering from surgery to remove two cancerous nodules from her lung.

The justice sounded a positive note earlier this year about the state of her health when she announced publicly for the first time that she was cancer-free. But her recurring health episodes have caused some to worry about her longevity on the bench.

Neither Ginsburg nor Breyer are expected to retire while the Republican Party is in control over their successors.

According to the legal industry website Above The Law, both Ginsburg and Thomas have hired at least two clerks so far for next term, and Breyer has hired a clerk for the term that begins October 2021.

A spokeswoman for the Supreme Court did not respond to a request for comment.

Studies have shown that justices are more likely to retire when the White House is held by the same party as the president who appointed them, sometimes referred to as a "strategic retirement."

Over nearly the past 50 years, "strategic retirements have been more the rule than the exception," Scott Lemieux, a political science professor at the University of Washington, wrote in a Washington Post op-ed last year.

"The only justices since 1968 who resigned while still alive and with a president they weren't positively disposed to on ideological or partisan grounds were [William] Brennan and Thurgood Marshall, who waited as long as they could during a 12-year run of Republican control of the White House but were ultimately forced off the court by serious health issues," Lemieux wrote.

Both Ginsburg and Breyer have signaled that the ideological makeup of the court they would leave behind is a factor in their thinking.

In a recent interview with Axios, Breyer said that who the president is and the court's future ideological balance were "not totally irrelevant" considerations for justices weighing when to leave the bench.

But when asked about retirement, Breyer, a Clinton nominee, said, "I don't really think about it," and added, "I enjoy what I'm doing."

Breyer has had no known health scares other than a fractured shoulder he sustained in a bicycle accident in 2013.

The other justices, nominated by Obama and former President George W. Bush, as well as Trump's two picks, are not often mentioned in terms of possible near-term vacancies.
    Even if no surprise vacancy opens up on the bench, the Supreme Court may well be a factor in many voters' minds come November.

In coming weeks, the court is expected to issue rulings that could determine the fate of Trump's tax returns, LGBT rights in the workplace and the deportation status of nearly 700,000 young undocumented immigrants.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...-vacancy%3Famp
    Last edited by Neil; 06-01-2020 at 11:00 PM.

How likely is it that Thomas will retire this year?

If Thomas does retire this year then I’m not a Barrett type individual. I don’t want want of those Conservatives that are pro life and are against The Death Penalty. I know she clerked for Scalia on capital punishment cases but even still I don’t want her as a pick. Since the time Trump was considering her Benedict came out and said no DP is allowed under any circumstances. She’ll probably just follow suit with that just like what Governor Oldwine did in Ohio.

I want a firebrand conservative who’ll be overturning Roper Vs. Simmons, Atinkins, McCoy, etc. I’m a conservative who’s way more in favor of fighting for executions and getting Texas Vs Johnson overturned then I am for Roe Vs Wade being overturned. Flag Burning and Capital Punishment are two conservative issues Im very passionate over. Call me a 90s conservative guy if you will.
    Last edited by Neil; 06-01-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Republicans won't push through a nominee in 5 months no. Thomas will die on the court, we haven't had a president that was as right wing as Thomas since Nixon.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Justice Alito could retire too.

Thomas will probably retire if Trump gets reelected. I don’t this Roper V Simmons will ever get overturned. I’m hoping the opposite for Moore, Atkins, and Roe
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thomas said in a recent interview that he has no plans to retire.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

I have great respect for Justice Thomas. Alito to a degree Thomas, and Gorsuch are the most conservative people on that court. I’m no fan of Justice Kavanuagh. I can’t stomach Kavanaughs flip flop over Murphy. He killed off Ray but yet let Murphy live.

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    Should Justice Thomas and/or Alito step down right now?

Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread Information