Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Richard Andrew Poplawski - Pennsylvania Death Row

And if he would be eletrocuted he could ask about the energy (atomic, gas, oil, green)? What a waste of time and money.
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

Pennsylvania v. Poplawski

Court: Pennsylvania Supreme Court

Opinion Date: December 29, 2015

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court affirmed the death sentence for Richard Poplawski, convicted in 2011 of killing three Pittsburgh police officers. The officers were killed on April 4, 2009, when they responded to Poplawski's home for a domestic dispute with his mother. Poplawski, armed with multiple weapons, thousands of rounds of ammunition and body armor launched a gunfight with the city that lasted for hours. "The record shows that the jury balanced three aggravating circumstances against two statutory mitigating circumstances and determined that the aggravating circumstances outweighed the mitigating circumstances. Therefore, there exists no ground to vacate the sentence."
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Court upholds death penalty for man convicted in 2009 killing of 3 Pittsburgh officers

PITTSBURGH — The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence for a man convicted in the 2009 killing of three Pittsburgh police officers.

The court ruled Tuesday that Richard Poplawski's sentence was based on the overwhelming evidence against him in the death of officers Paul Sciullo (SHOO'-loh) II, Stephen Mayhle (MAY'-lee) and Eric Kelly.

Poplawski was convicted in 2011 of killing the officers when they responded to a domestic dispute at his mother's home six years ago.

Attorneys for Poplawski questioned on appeal whether it was an error to allow statements to police into evidence and show jurors images of officers' funerals, among other issues.

But the court ruled that the evidence against him was properly vetted and admissible.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...burgh-Shooting

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Poplawski's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Eastern District
    Case Nos.: (654 CAP)
    Decision Date: December 29, 2015
    Rehearing Denied: February 1, 2016

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....es/15-9512.htm

::ADMINISTRATIVE DATE::

Execution date set for man convicted of killing 3 Pittsburgh officers

The secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections signed a notice of execution on Wednesday for Richard Andrew Poplawski, the man sentenced to death for the ambush-style murders of three Pittsburgh police officers in 2009.

According to the notice, Poplawski’s date of execution has been set for March 3.

Officers Eric G. Kelly, Stephen J. Mayhle and Paul J. Sciullo II were killed in April 2009 by Poplawski while responding to a 911 call about a domestic disturbance at his house in Stanton Heights. The city in 2011 condemned the home he shared with his mother and razed it, Channel 11’s news partners at TribLIVE reported.

The state Supreme Court in December 2015 upheld Poplawski's conviction and death sentence.

Poplawski, along with Aric Shayne Woodard, Patrick Ray Haney and Wayne A. Smith - whose executions were set Wednesday for March, are likely a long way from execution.

Federal appeals are available to all four, and as TribLIVE reports, Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf has imposed a de facto moratorium on the death penalty, using his power to postpone executions until a state task force delivers a report on whether the death penalty is fairly and effectively applied in the state.

According to TribLIVE, since Pennsylvania reinstated the death penalty 37 years ago, only three people have been executed, and they all volunteered, waiving their right to appeal.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/execution-d...cers/485613587

Poplawski Wants Charges Dropped As Execution Date Nears

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The man convicted of killing three police officers in Stanton Heights appeared in court this afternoon.

Officers Eric Kelly, Paul Sciullo and Stephen Mayhle were ambushed while responding to a domestic disturbance.

Today, Richard Poplawski, who was sentenced to death for killing those officers, appeared before a judge to discuss his legal options.

As he was led into the courthouse, Poplawski declared, “Let’s Go Pens!”

Poplawski claims he had ineffective counsel and wants all charges against him to be dismissed.

Poplawski is scheduled to be executed on March 3, but it is unlikely that the execution will be carried out.

Two years ago, Gov. Tom Wolf placed a moratorium on the death penalty.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/...on-date-nears/
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Poplawski gets stay of execution

An Allegheny County Common Pleas judge this afternoon stayed the March 3 execution date for the man convicted of killing three Pittsburgh police officers in 2009.

Richard Poplawski, 30, appeared in court for just a few minutes as Judge Jeffrey A. Manning, who presided over the death penalty trial in June 2011, appointed new counsel to represent Poplawski in his Post-Conviction Relief Act petition.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201702160195

Distributed for conference January 15, 2021.

Also, lower court is the Third Circuit for some reason.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-6354.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    He's objecting to the settlement agreement for the death row inmates' class action. It's about whether he has to pay the filing fees in the third circuit to do so

Petition for certiorari denied.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
    Case Numbers20-2115)
    Decision Date:August 20, 2020

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-6354.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information