Scott Dekraai indicted in Seal Beach salon shooting
The man accused of killing eight people in a Seal Beach hair Salon in the largest mass murder in Orange County history was indicted Tuesday by a grand jury.
Scott Dekraai, 42, was indicted on eight counts of murder with special circumstances and one felony count of attempted murder in connection with the Oct. 12 rampage at Salon Meritage, the Orange County district attorney's office said.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty in the case, which shocked the normally tranquil seaside community after Dekraai allegedly walked into the crowded salon where his ex-wife worked and sprayed it with gunfire.
Photos: Seal Beach salon shooting rampage | Full Coverage
He had been involved in a bitter custody dispute with his ex wife, Michelle Fournier, over their 8-year-old son, according to court records. Dekraai was intent on killing Fournier and others who were inside the salon, prosecutors said.
Dekraai was wearing a bulletproof vest under his clothing and had armed himself with three high-powered handguns, two of which were used to hit his victims at close range, according to prosecutors.
He is accused of shooting some of his victims multiple times, stopping to reload while people lay dying on the ground, prosecutors say.
Dekraai is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday afternoon on the indictment at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana. He pleaded not guilty in November at an earlier arraignment after charges were initially filed by the district attorney.