Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russell Lee Hogshooter Sentenced to LWOP in 2009 OK Cathouse Slayings

Russell Lee Hogshooter Sentenced to LWOP in 2009 OK Cathouse Slayings

Victims Brooke Phillips, 22, Milagros "Millie" Barrera, 22, Jennifer Ermey, 25, and Casey Barrientos, 32

Man will face death penalty in 2009 'Cathouse' killings trial in Oklahoma

Previous:

Man sentenced to 25 years in prison for role in 'Cathouse' killings (Published March 10, 2015)
    Court charges two more men in 2009 'Cathouse' killings in Oklahoma City (Published Nov. 21, 2014)
    Two more arrests are made in infamous Oklahoma City 'Cathouse' murder case (Published Nov. 6, 2014)
    Pregnant star of HBO's "Cathouse" series was found dead in Oklahoma City house fire (Published Nov. 12, 2009)
    Police looking for fifth person in arson case where four died after fire in Oklahoma City (Published Nov. 10, 2009)

A man accused of the killing of a drug dealer and three women — including two who were pregnant — will face the death penalty at trial.

Russell Lee Hogshooter, 37, will be tried on six counts of first-degree murder and one count of conspiracy, Oklahoma County Special Judge Fred Doak ruled Tuesday.

Hogshooter is one of two men charged with the 2009 slayings in November. The other man, Jonathan Allen Cochran, 35, has pleaded guilty and is serving a 25-year prison sentence for his role.

One of the victims, 22-year-old Brooke Phillips, was a prostitute featured on “Cathouse,” a reality television show about a Nevada brothel.

Cochran testified Tuesday to what prosecutors have long alleged — Casey Mark Barrientos, 32, was the target of the attack.

Phillips, Jennifer Lynn Ermey, 25, and Milagros “Millie” Barrera, 22, were killed to eliminate them as witnesses, Cochran testified. Phillips and Barrera were pregnant.

The initial plan was to rob the house of money and drugs while nobody was home, but the assailants agreed to kill anyone they found inside the home and armed themselves before leaving Salina, OK, for Oklahoma City, Cochran said.

He also testified that Indian Brotherhood war chief Denny Phillips, 37, orchestrated the plan, but took a separate vehicle than Cochran, Hogshooter and David Allen Tyner, 33.

Tyner pleaded guilty in 2012 and is sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. Denny Phillips’ trial is scheduled for the fall.

Cochran was given a “junk gun” and his role was largely to back up the other men, but found himself inside the house while the slayings were occurring, he testified. He was ordered to kill one of the women, but intentionally missed her when he shot, Cochran told the judge.

Prosecutors announced they will seek the death penalty. The aggravating circumstances in each victim’s murder were not read in open court.

Cochran is due in court July 15.

http://newsok.com/man-will-face-deat...rticle/5420709
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Witness says BunnyRanch prostitute, others shot execution style

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - A witness in the murder trial of two men charged with killing a prostitute on the HBO series "Cathouse" and three other people says one of the men told him the slayings were done "execution style."

"Cathouse" is set in the Moonlite BunnyRanch legal brothel in Mound House.

Jose Flores testified Friday in the murder trial of Denny Phillips and Russell Lee Hogshooter and said he and Phillips were cellmates when Phillips said Brooke Phillips and the others were shot "execution style," meaning they were on their knees.

Phillips, who isn't related to Brooke Phillips, and Hogshooter have pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges in the deaths of Brooke Phillips, Milagros Barrera, Jennifer Lynn Ermey and Casey Mark Barrientos in Oklahoma City.

Prosecutors say Denny Phillips ordered the killing of Barrientos and the women were killed to eliminate witnesses.

The trial resumes Monday.

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/W...381902651.html

Convicted Oklahoma killer details what happened in 'Cathouse' slayings

By Kyle Schwab
    The Oklahoman

Five years after the 2009 “Cathouse” slayings, Jonathan Allen Cochran was arrested in the infamous killings that, he testified, “kept me up at nights.”

“I'd been trying to get it out of my mind for the past five years,” Cochran told an Oklahoma County jury Tuesday.

Cochran testified Monday and Tuesday at the trial of the two remaining men charged with the slayings of a drug dealer and three women.

Denny Edward Phillips, 38, of Salina, and Russell Lee Hogshooter, 38, of Oklahoma City, are charged with six counts of first-degree murder and one count of conspiracy.

Two victims were pregnant.

Prosecutors say Phillips bragged about using his power as a "war chief" in the Indian Brotherhood Gang to orchestrate the robbery and killing of the drug dealer.

At Phillips' direction, Hogshooter, Cochran and another man, David Allen Tyner, went to the south Oklahoma City drug house early Nov. 9, 2009, to execute the “murder mission,” according to prosecutors.

The women were killed to eliminate them as witnesses, prosecutors say.

Testimony

Cochran, now 37, of Oklahoma City, pleaded guilty last year to the murders. He was arrested in November 2014 after Tyner decided to tell investigators additional information about the killings.

Wearing a gray prison jumpsuit and shackles around his ankles and wrists, Cochran told the jury details about the slayings.

He testified that before he entered the home, he heard muffled gunshots inside. When he entered the house, “There were a couple bodies,” he told the jury.

“It freaked me out. It was the first time I'd seen somebody get shot,” Cochran testified. “I found Hogshooter. … It appeared that Hogshooter was pulling a knife out of some guy's throat.”

Cochran said he eventually saw a total of three bodies when he entered the home. Tyner, who also has already pleaded guilty to the murders, previously told jurors that he shot those three victims.

Tyner, 34, of Locust Grove, admitted to shooting the drug dealer, Casey Mark Barrientos, 32, pregnant Milagros Barrera, 22, of Mustang, and Jennifer Lynn Ermey, 25, of Edmond.

He said he didn't harm the fourth victim, pregnant Brooke Phillips, 22, of Moore.

Brooke Phillips, who isn't related to the defendant, was a prostitute on the once-popular HBO reality show “Cathouse,” which documented events at a legal brothel in Nevada.

'She was screaming'

Hogshooter is accused of killing Brooke Phillips. Cochran testified he saw Hogshooter inside the house with an injured blond-haired woman. Cochran said the woman was on her knees and Hogshooter was holding her by her hair. Prosecutors say the woman was Brooke Phillips.

“She was screaming and … bloody. She had blond hair. She was bleeding real bad. Her eye was hanging out of her head,” Cochran told the jurors. “She was asking us why we are doing it. … She was screaming pretty loud. Hogshooter (told) me to shoot (her).”

Cochran said he shot a couple times, missing the victim on purpose.

“I put the gun on safety and told him I was out of bullets,” Cochran testified. “I didn't want to kill her.”

Cochran said that after the killings, Hogshooter set the house on fire.

“Russell told me (Brooke Phillips) was still screaming when he poured gas on her,” Cochran told prosecutors in 2014 during a video recorded interview shown to the jury Tuesday.

During the same recorded interview, Cochran told prosecutors he knew they were going to the drug house to commit a robbery. But he said he knew nothing about plans to kill anyone.

Inconsistencies

Under defense questioning Tuesday, Cochran testified he actually knew the murders were going to happen but he “didn't verbally agree to kill anybody.”

“I went there under the assumption that somebody else was going to murder someone. I didn't agree to the murders but I agreed to go down there,” Cochran testified.

Defense attorneys pointed out other inconsistencies with Cochran's version of events. Prosecutors argued that significant details of what happened have stayed consistent with other testimony.

Cochran currently is serving a 25-year sentence.

Denny Phillips and Hogshooter deny any involvement in the slayings.

Prosecutors say Denny Phillips wasn't present at the drug house during the killings but was nearby giving orders by phone.

The trial began last month.

http://newsok.com/article/5502801
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

“It’s the saddest day of my life,” Loved ones hear closing arguments in Cathouse murder trial

By Abby Broyles
    KFOR News

OKLAHOMA CITY - The jury is deliberating in the high profile Cathouse murder trial.

Two men face the death penalty, accused of conspiring to carry out the brutal murders.

You may remember the case.

It got national media attention, because one of the victims was a prostitute on the HBO reality show 'Cathouse,' a legal brothel.

The jury went out around 5:30 p.m. Monday after a full day of closing arguments from the state and the defense.

Prosecutors said Denny Phillips and Russell Hogshooter conspired to kill six people, including two unborn babies, but defense attorneys argued the state's star witnesses were unreliable and the evidence isn't there.

Prosecutors said the killers stabbed and shot the victims before setting their bodies on fire in November 2009.

The horrific murders happened in south Oklahoma City.

There were four adult victims, two of them were pregnant.

"It was disgusting, I was crying in the courtroom," said Dennis Hof.

Hof said victim Brooke Phillips was Denny's girlfriend.

She also worked for him at his brothel.

The Moonlite Bunny Ranch was the focus of an HBO reality show.

"It's the saddest day of my life, listening to these disgusting creeps, what they did. The Bunny Ranch will never get over it," Hof said.

Prosecutors said Denny ordered the killing of drug dealer Casey Barrientos over a dispute involving money.

Attorneys for the state also said three women at the house that night were killed simply to eliminate them as witnesses.

Brooke and Milagros Berrera were pregnant.

The state alleges Denny was calling the shots and told Hogshooter along with two other men to execute the murder mission.

Hogshooter's attorney argued there were inconsistencies in the testimony of the state's two star witnesses - the men who already pled guilty to the crime.

Denny's attorney claimed the state's other witnesses were high on meth back when the murders happened, calling them unreliable.

Now six and a half years after the the murders, it's up to a jury of 12 men and women what happens next.

Right now, the jury is deciding on guilt or innocence.

That's the first phase of this trial.

If they're found guilty, then the punishment phase begins, which will take several days.

If convicted, Denny and Hogshooter face the death penalty.

http://kfor.com/2016/06/13/jury-set-...-murder-trial/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jurors convict two remaining men in 2009 'Cathouse' murders

By Kyle Schwab
    The Oklahoman

Jurors convicted the two remaining men charged in the 2009 “Cathouse” slayings on all counts related to the murders of an Oklahoma City drug dealer and three women.

The Oklahoma County jury deliberated for three hours Monday evening after listening to a full day of closing arguments in the death penalty trial.

“Six people were gunned down and slaughtered,” Assistant District Attorney Gayland Gieger told the jurors during his closing argument. “This is one of the most violent crimes I've ever seen. Actions of sheer evil were involved that night.”

Denny Edward Phillips, 38, of Salina, and Russell Lee Hogshooter, 38, of Oklahoma City, each were convicted of six counts of first-degree murder and one count of conspiracy.

Two of the victims were pregnant.

The jury is expect to begin deliberating Tuesday on punishment.

During his closing argument, Gieger called Phillips the “puppet master” behind the plan to travel from Salina to Oklahoma City to rob and murder the drug dealer, Casey Mark Barrientos, 32. Gieger said Phillips recruited Hogshooter and “these two guys had the plan all along.”

Two other men, David Allen Tyner, 34, of Locust Grove, and Jonathan Allen Cochran, 37, of Oklahoma City, also were involved. Tyner and Cochran already pleaded guilty to the murders and testified for the prosecutors during the trial.

Phillips was accused of directing Hogshooter, Tyner and Cochran to go to the south Oklahoma City drug house early Nov. 9, 2009, to carry out the plan. Prosecutors said Phillips bragged afterward about using his power as a “war chief” in the Indian Brotherhood Gang to orchestrate the killings.

The women at the house, Brooke Phillips, 22, of Moore; Milagros Barrera, 22, of Mustang and Jennifer Lynn Ermey, 25, of Edmond, were killed to eliminate them as witnesses, prosecutors said. Brooke Phillips and Barrera were pregnant.

Brooke Phillips, who wasn't related to the defendant, was a prostitute on "Cathouse," an HBO reality series about a legal brothel in Nevada.

Denny Phillips and Hogshooter denied any involvement.

In his closing argument, defense attorney Bill Smith told the jurors that Denny Phillips wasn't at the house when the murders took place.

“We know Denny Phillips was not at that house. … He did not participate in the carnage,” Smith said.

Smith contended Denny Phillips had no reason to want the drug dealer dead because they were friends and made lots of money together. The defense attorney said Tyner was the one who wanted the drug dealer dead.

Smith said Tyner was mad the drug dealer quit paying him for bodyguard services. The defense attorney contended Tyner recruited Hogshooter and Cochran to kill the drug dealer.

Prosecutors said Denny Phillips didn't go into the drug house the day of the murders but gave orders by phone from nearby. Cellphone evidence showed Denny Phillips, Hogshooter and Tyner were in the area of the drug house during the time of the murders, prosecutors said.

“The fact that they are calling each other throughout the night gives us a whole lot of information,” Gieger told the jurors Monday.

Tyner testified during the trial that Denny Phillips threatened to kill his family if he didn't participate in the plan. Tyner admitted to shooting each victim except Brooke Phillips.

Hogshooter was accused of attacking and torturing Brooke Phillips and then setting the house on fire. His defense attorney, Perry Hudson, contended, “I don't believe for a second Hogshooter was there.”

In his closing argument, Hudson asked the jury if Tyner and Cochran are reliable. He called their testimony inconsistent.

“They are the entire case against Mr. Hogshooter,” Hudson said. He contended Tyner is the one who tortured Brooke Phillips.

Assistant District Attorney Merydith Easter also gave a closing argument Monday. She told the jury that it doesn't matter who “pulled the trigger” because the law states all four men are responsible for the murders. She said each co-conspirator is responsible for the actions of the other co-conspirators.

The trial began May 16.

http://newsok.com/article/5503939

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

This side-by-side image shows Russell Hogshooter (left) and Denny Phillips as they sit in Judge Henderson's courtroom at the Oklahoma County Courthouse in Oklahoma City, Okla. for the final stage of their trial, Wednesday, June 15, 2016.

Jurors to begin deliberating on whether to choose death penalty for men they already convicted in "Cathouse" slayings

By Kyle Schwab
    The Oklahoman

Jurors on Thursday will begin deliberating on whether to choose the death penalty for the two men they already convicted in the 2009 "Cathouse" slayings.

“You're not dealing with everyday people,” Assistant District Attorney Merydith Easter told the jury at one point during the final stage of the trial. “Denny Phillips and Russell Hogshooter are different. The death penalty is different. The death penalty is made for people like Denny Phillips and Russell Hogshooter.”

The Oklahoma County jury found the men guilty Monday night on all counts related to the killings of an Oklahoma City drug dealer and three women. Prosecutors said the victims were stabbed, shot and their bodies were set on fire.

Denny Edward Phillips, 38, of Salina, and Russell Lee Hogshooter, 38, of Oklahoma City, were convicted of one count of conspiracy and six counts of first-degree murder.

Two of the victims were pregnant.

On Tuesday, the jury chose a punishment of 35 years in prison for the conspiracy count.

Jurors still must deliberate punishment on the six guilty counts of first-degree murder. After final closing arguments Thursday, jurors will be asked to decide among life in prison, life in prison without the possibility of parole and the death penalty.

During the trial, prosecutors said Phillips was the "shot caller" behind a plan to rob and kill a drug kingpin, Casey Mark Barrientos, 32. Phillips was accused of directing Hogshooter and two other men to go to the south Oklahoma City drug house early on Nov. 9, 2009, to carry out the plan.

The women at the house, Brooke Phillips, 22, of Moore; Milagros Barrera, 22, of Mustang; and Jennifer Lynn Ermey, 25, of Edmond; were killed to eliminate them as witnesses, prosecutors said. Brooke Phillips and Barrera were pregnant.

Brooke Phillips, who wasn't related to the defendant, was a prostitute on "Cathouse," an HBO reality show about a legal brothel in Nevada.

Denny Phillips and Hogshooter denied any involvement. The two other men, David Allen Tyner, 34, of Locust Grove, and Jonathan Allen Cochran, 37, of Oklahoma City, already pleaded guilty to the murders and testified during the trial.

On Wednesday, jurors heard statements written by family members of the victims.

Easter read a statement written by Brooke Phillips' aunt, Pamela Sullivan. The aunt wrote that her niece's death turned their family's "life upside down."

The aunt also wrote that Brooke Phillips had a 6-year-old daughter at the time of her death. The daughter is now 12.

"(Brooke) will never get to see her grow up," the aunt wrote.

Barrera's mother, Elizabeth Gardner, also read a statement to the jury.

"Words cannot express the pain our family and friends have endured,” Gardner said. "Our family is forever broken."

Assistant District Attorney Gayland Gieger read a statement written by Ermey's mother, Becky Ermey.

“Our daughter was bright, beautiful and compassionate,” the mother wrote. "Her life was taken away too soon. ... Without Jennifer, nothing is the same. Life as we know it ended six years ago.”

Gieger also read a statement written by Barrientos' sister.

“They took away a son, a brother, an uncle,” Lindsey Barrientos wrote. "You both have destroyed our family. You have robbed us of making new memories. … Our family will never be the same.”

http://newsok.com/article/5504355

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Judge removes juror in “Cathouse” trial

By Nikki Ferlaino
    KFOR News

OKLAHOMA CITY – The judge has removed a member of the jury in the murder trial of Denny Edward Phillips and Russell Lee Hogshooter.

The juror was dismissed after giving a children’s book to a member of Phillips’ family.

She has been replaced by an alternate and closing arguments have resumed.

http://kfor.com/2016/06/16/judge-rem...athouse-trial/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury Recomends LWOP for Denny Phillips and Russell Hogshooter

Verdict: life without parole for Denny Phillips, Russell Hogshooter in Cathouse murder trial.

https://twitter.com/abbybroyles

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

DelCo man gets life without parole in Cathouse murders

OKLAHOMA CITY – A Delaware County man received a life sentence without the possibility of parole in connection with the death of six individuals known as the “Cathouse” killings.

Russell Lee Hogshooter, 38, of Jay and Denny Edward Phillips, 38, of Salina was convicted on Friday, June 17, in the deaths of Casey Mark Barrientos, 32, Brooke Phillips, 22, Milagros Barrera, 22, Jennifer Lynn Ermey, 25. Phillips and Barrera were pregnant.

During the trial, prosecutors said Phillips was the "puppet master" behind a plan to rob and kill Barrientos on Nov. 9, 2009, according to published reports. The victims were stabbed, shot and their bodies were set on fire, published reports state.

David Allen Tyner testified Denny Phillips ordered Tyner, Jonathan Allen Cockran and Hogshooter to carry out the death orders, according to published accounts of the trial.

Tyner pleaded guilty to six counts of first-degree murder in 2012 and received a life sentence, records show. Cochran pleaded guilty in 2015 and was sentenced to 25 years, court records show.

Brooke Phillip appeared in the HBO reality show about a Nevada brothel prompting the name “The Cathouse Murders” trial.

http://www.grandlakenews.com/news/20...thouse-murders

Senior Member Member
    Two Sentenced to Life Without Parole in 'Cathouse' Murders

OKLAHOMA CITY - Two people convicted in the "Cathouse" murders received six life-in-prison sentences without the possibility of parole.

Denny Phillips was sentenced Friday morning, and Russell Hogshooter was sentenced Friday afternoon. Both will serve six life-in-prison sentences consecutively.

The two murdered six people in 2009. Two of their victims were unborn children.

http://www.news9.com/story/32746467/...thouse-murders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information