Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Troy Michael Kell - Utah Death Row

nikkirei
    hey Oazis,

Troy is doing as well as he can considering his situation and circumstances and he continues to fight his case. There have been many misleading stories told about Troy mostly be the media and the prosecutors in his case, I know him well and I will tell you he is not and was never the monster he has been made out to to be , he has spent his time trying to help other inmates rebuild their lives and not make the same mistakes he made. As for his crimes there is a lot more to it then just a racial killing as it was said to be, it never was about that , there is more to that then you will ever know. The guards lied , the prison lied to cover their asses, and If you know what prison life is like and what it was like for an 18 year old kid thrown into the prison system and having to defend himself against rapists and assaults as he himself told in the documentary, you would understand. Troy has suffered for his crime and he battles a lot of demons, but he is not a bad person, I am glad you do not pass judgement on him many have without knowledge. Billy Merrit is a piece of shit who is a convicted rapist , he turned on Troy as did Sandy Shaw who lied her ass off to save herself. neither of those two pieces of shit deserve a mention so i will leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    The whole documentary

Thanks for posting this video Jan. Very graphic footage of the murder of this Black man. There is no excuse for this excessive violence. This murder was absolutely brutal and Kell deserves to be on death row for this crime.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

oazis
    Hi Nikki,

thanks for your response, I appreciate it!

What you wrote about Sandy and Bill, surprised me, to me it seemed from the documentary, that Troy wasn't angry for any of them, I wasn't aware that they turned on him. Would be good to see the whole story one day, there are many questionmarks with his case.

On the Blackmon killing I was almost sure that it was not racial, I had the feeling that two strong characters crossed each other for whatever reason and it went beyond a point where there was no turning back regardless of their races. Of course the killing still looks very gruesome from the outside, but we just don't know what happened between the two of them prior to that, what led to this tragic outcome.

I am sure Troy had suffered a lot, I just can't imagine how anyone can deal with the fact to be sent to prison for the rest of his life and deal with all the nasty things inside. And the solitary conf., I would probably lose my mind.

Anyway, if you have any info or update, I would be interested in it.

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    Seems to me that Kell murdered two men, and uses their criminal background as justification for murdering them. Most obvious from the video taped murder of Blackmon, Kell did not act in self defense. I think the corrupt Utah Correction officers should have been charged as accomplices or at the very least fired for not doing their job. I know in Missouri and Ohio they would have been at least fired. The first man he murdered James Thiede was a small time drug trafficker from Canada, which in no way is acceptable to murder someone over(look at the mess going on in the Philippines right now with drug dealing cops killing rival dealers to protect "public safety") and Lonnie Blackmon who was a thief and again not acceptable to be murdered over.

Firing squads to be used in upcoming Utah executions

As Arkansas rushes to execute several death row inmates due to execution drugs expiring soon, an even more macabre immorality is developing in Utah: 3 death row inmates have all elected to be killed by firing squad, a method that's still on the books as a sort of next resort if execution drugs are unable to be obtained in the appropriate amount of time.

As manufacturers of propofol and other execution drugs refuse to sell to states as a stand against the death penalty, death by lethal injection becomes more difficult to pull off.

Utah's execution methods are actually quite complicated: in 2004, death by firing squad was overturned, as the Utah legislature cited the amount of attention drawn as creating difficulty for the affected families. Then, in 2015, this was partially changed.

Now, if execution drugs are in short supply, firing squads can be used as a backup method. Furthermore, those sentenced to death before 2004 are grandfathered and can decide their execution method, if they so choose, according to the options available at the time of sentencing.

Taberon Dave Honie, Troy Michael Kell, and Ralph Leroy Menzies are all current death row inmates who have elected to die by firing squad. Although execution dates have not been set, many of them have been imprisoned for several decades.

Convicted of heinous murders and rapes, these 3 men seem to have inflicted horrible pain on others. Still, why should we kill at all? Our justice system has overwhelming flaws, from lack of proper indigent defense to tainted appeals processes. It's crazy for us to openly acknowledge the error in the system and still put people to death. We need to stop pretending this is what dispensing justice looks like.

MuckRock recently obtained the Utah Department of Corrections' execution manual, detailing protocols currently in place. On the issue of government transparency, it's unbelievable that such a document wasn't public in the first place, but had to be obtained via FOIA request. Such a request was initially denied in 2015, but recently released.

The details outlined are grotesque, but the unfortunate standard in many states: 2 rounds must be loaded into each weapon, with 1 weapon shooting blanks. A target should be placed over the heart of the one being executed. There are countdowns and waiting periods and the last words are supposed to be recorded via audio, then destroyed within 24 hours of the execution. One can't help but think that if information like this were made more public, fewer people would be able to stomach the horror of the death penalty.

Some believe firing squads are more humane as lethal injection has been scrutinized due to the high prevalence of botched executions. Others argue that firing squads disallow us to be detached from the real matter at hand: the taking of a human life. For this reason, some death penalty abolitionists see firing squads as the easiest way of changing public opinion. The gruesome nature of firing squads reminds us that execution isn't some sanitized, near-medical procedure done by a phlebotomist in a dimmed room, but rather the killing of a human being.

Many scholars and activists think the recent controversy in Arkansas is bringing legal issues with the death penalty to light, exposing procedural problems and leaving pits in the bottoms of people's stomachs as they begin to realize what the death penalty looks like up close. Hopefully, as Utah's firing squads are examined further, people will begin to realize that our repugnant idea of justice needs to be reformed.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/3279...ecutions-foia/

Federal court hears case over delays in executing Utah white supremacist killer

SALT LAKE CITY — One of Utah’s most notorious death row cases is before a federal appeals court.

Troy Kell is facing a firing squad execution for the 1994 murder of Lonnie Blackmon inside the Central Utah Correctional Facility at Gunnison. Kell stabbed Blackmon 67 times during the murder that was captured on video.

“White power!” Kell screamed at corrections officers who were putting on riot gear to get into the cell block. Kell, a white supremacist, stabbed his victim, who is black and left him to bleed to death on the floor. Kell was already serving time for another murder in Nevada.

The video of the gruesome killing was entered into evidence and used to convict Kell, who was sentenced to death.

Now, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is considering how long it has taken to exhaust Kell’s appeals. Recently, a three-judge panel heard arguments over a lower court’s decision to stay his case, grinding it to a halt.

“It did so in a way that irrevocably and unreviewably deprives the people of Utah of their constitutional right to timely carry out their presumptively valid sentence against Mr. Kell,” assistant Utah Attorney General Andrew Peterson argued before the court.

But Kell’s attorney, Lindsey Layer, argued there are still legitimate legal issues that need to be explored and exhausted by both state and federal courts.

“There have been multiple stays in this case and that might be unusual, but it’s warranted by the circumstances,” she argued.

In their questions, the judges on the 10th Circuit panel wrestled with prior case law on capital punishment appeals and decisions made by other courts across the country. Senior Judge Bobby Baldock suggested this case may go to the U.S. Supreme Court.

“We either do have jurisdiction or we don’t have jurisdiction,” he said. “The groundwork’s been laid if there’s four Circuits gone one way, we go another… perfect vehicle for the Supreme Court to straighten it out.”

The 10th Circuit Court panel took the case under advisement with no timeline for when they will release a decision. The Utah Supreme Court is also considering this case.

https://fox13now.com/2018/11/28/fede...macist-killer/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

I wish it was the 10th looking at this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I wish it was the 10th looking at this case.
    ???
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

I thought that Utah was under the 9th's jurisdiction but its not.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-28-2018 at 07:54 PM. Reason: My Brian is replacing the words I am reading with something else

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    I hate when Brian replaces words I am reading

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information