Thread: Have we become too politicaly correct?

Have we become too politicaly correct?

Halloween display sparks controversy in Franklin

FRANKLIN -- Some Franklin residents say a Halloween display of a skeleton hanging by a noose is racially offensive.

"You can show black people a noose and it's gonna' immediately, immediately slavery registers hanging, lynching," said Councilman Greg McLemore.

He said he's heard several complaints from constituents over the display.

"It was not meant to hurt anybody. If they look carefully at it, it's the Saw mask. You can see it online," said Michele Tono, who says this is the third year she's put up the display.

A complaint was also filed with the Franklin Police Department.

The mayor and other council members stepped in to help mediate the situation.

"I do respect and high standards for the black and white community, and I would never support or condone racial things," said Councilman Donald Blythe.

He said he didn't think there was anything criminal about the display.

Passerby Lamont Davenport also weighed in.

"It's just a skeleton. I don't find too much offense to it," Davenport said.

But McLemore insists that the display should be modified or taken down.

"It's the principle. Take the noose down. Change it to a knot. Change the black wig to a blond wig. It's the principle," said McLemore.

Franklin police say that investigators did not find any violation with the display.

Tono says she's choosing not to take it down.

"I guess now it's just a matter of principle. I don't mean to say it like that, but I haven't done anything to anybody, and if I offended anybody I'm very sorry," said Tono.

WVEC News

OMG some people use really every opportunity to get into the news.

But McLemore insists that the display should be modified or taken down.

"It's the principle. Take the noose down. Change it to a knot. Change the black wig to a blond wig. It's the principle," said McLemore.
    So it's okay if it's a 'whitey' hanging? Lol. Talk about hypocrisy...

This just proves that ANYTHING can be potentially offensive to someone. At some point a line will have to be drawn. Should've been drawn already, IMO.

This gentleman doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed, nor is he willing to take responsibility for his own actions. Typical race-baiter...

McLemore accused of breaking mirror
    Published 5:15pm Tuesday, January 18, 2011

FRANKLIN—Councilman Greg McLemore is facing a misdemeanor destruction of property charge stemming from an alleged incident on Jan. 12.

According to paperwork filed in Franklin General District Court, McLemore was charged after complainant Barbara Rands alleged he destroyed property belonging to her valued at less than $1,000.

“I broke a mirror; that’s all I have to say,” McLemore said Tuesday when asked about the incident.

He was released on a summons and is scheduled to appear in a Franklin courtroom at 8:30 a.m. Monday, Feb. 7, for arraignment.

If convicted, McLemore could face up to 12 months in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500. McLemore, who ran for mayor in 2008, was elected in May 2010 to the Ward 3 seat on the City Council.

http://www.tidewaternews.com/2011/01...n-of-property/

Last edited by Rob; 10-20-2011 at 06:46 PM.

I really wanted the video...the skeleton has the face of the character from the "Saw" movie series, and who's to say the skeletal remains were not that of a pirate? I am glad "that" local group isn't up in arms!

Wow, we can end racism in the world simply by passing out blonde wigs? Usually the most complex issues do indeed have simple solutions! I however, am already blonde, so I guess I don't get one and therefore, must not be a racist.. or I can get lynched and no one will be offended. Hey! this game sucks!

I hate to state the obvious, but didn't anyone notice that the skeleton is white?

Thread Information