Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Authorized Methods of Execution

aclay
    This question may have been asked before, but I can't remember. However, back when they were using the gas chamber, instead of using cyanide, why didn't they just use carbon monoxide? With states trying to switch to nitrogen, why not just use carbon monoxide? It's painless, and I would imagine that it is very easy to obtain.

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    It is extremely flammable and a pain in the ass to store for long periods. In most industrial applications it is produced in situ by combustion. Prussic acid (hydrogen cyanide) can be made easily from the combination of a salt and a liquid that keep fairly nicely.

aclay
    O.k., thanks for replying.

This question may have been asked before, but I can't remember. However, back when they were using the gas chamber, instead of using cyanide, why didn't they just use carbon monoxide? With states trying to switch to nitrogen, why not just use carbon monoxide? It's painless, and I would imagine that it is very easy to obtain.
    Unlike nitrogen, carbon monoxide produces the same sensations of suffocation that cyanide does. It is a poison. Nitrogen, by contrast, is not a poison: about 80% of our air consists of nitrogen.
    "Sorry for the delay, I got caught in traffic." — Rodney Scott Berget, South Dakota, October 29, 2018 — final words.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information