Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Execution Times Per State

Missouri 6:00 PM as of 2015

Missouri switches time frame for executions, will start around dinner time instead of midnight
    By Kim Bell — St. Louis Post-Dispatch — Feb 6, 2015

Missouri will be taking a new approach to executing inmates.

For an execution scheduled for March 17 for a Barry County cop-killer named Cecil Clayton, the Missouri Supreme Court has given executioners a new time frame to carry out the death sentence.

In the past, Missouri would get a certain day on the calendar to complete the task and the state would start at 12:01 a.m. on that particular day. If something was delayed with appeals or something went wrong in the procedure, the Supreme Court's execution warrant would be good for the rest of that calendar day.

Now, the state still has a 24-hour time limit, but the clock will begin at 6 p.m. Missouri was the only remaining state to use the midnight start time, a federal court official said.

Department of Corrections' spokesman David Owen said the department wanted the change to better accommodate witnesses.

"Moving the execution time to 6 p.m. makes it more practical for witnesses attending an execution and for the courts reviewing the case, and falls in line with the majority of other states that carry out executions," Owen said in an email.

Families of the victim and the condemned often make the drive to the execution site to watch it unfold. They are summoned hours before the 12:01 a.m. start, told to check in by about 10 p.m., then kept hours on site while courts ponder appeals and act on stays of execution. Even if the execution goes off without delays, the witnesses typically are driving home at 2 or 3 a.m.

For years, this was the routine. It was done that way when executions were carried out at Potosi, and more recently at Bonne Terre. State employees whose job it is to oversee the execution often would stay in hotels near the execution site.

Missouri will stick with the midnight start once more — for its execution of Walter Storey scheduled for 12:01 a.m. next Wednesday. Storey was sentenced to die for a fatal attack in 1990 on Jill Lynn Frey in her St. Charles apartment.

Observers have said the reason for the midnight executions was, in part, to cut down on the risk of inmate disturbances and large protests.

Richard Sindel, a defense attorney in Clayton who has represented men on death row, said it may serve a dual purpose of allowing protesters on either side of the debate who want to voice their opinions a more convenient time to stage their protests.

But Sindel said he doesn't support the move. "I don't support any change in the execution protocol as long as they are executing people. The protocol I object to is the entire process."

Clayton, the first prisoner set to be executed under the time change, was convicted of killing Barry County Sheriff's Deputy Christopher Lee Castetter south of Cassville, Mo., in November 1996. The deputy, 29, was shot in the head while responding to a call about a suspicious vehicle. Prosecutors alleged that Clayton was upset after a break-up and he took a loaded gun to the home of his girlfriend's parents.

Clayton's trial was moved to Joplin in Jasper County on a change of venue. The defense attorney argued that Clayton didn't understand his actions that night and that he had lost part of his brain in a accident years earlier.

Clayton is now 74.

Source

The time should have always been amended to 6pm local time to match Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Arkansas and Missouri.

I have updated the execution times for the following:

Federal to 6:00pm

South Dakota to 1:30pm

* State no longer carries out executions
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Due to a previous article i read on Twitter owing to a 6pm start, the editor got it wrong. I have edited the execution times back to Federal executions for 7.00am.

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Indiana is one of those states that's divided between Eastern and Central time zones.

The federal death house is in Terre Haute, which is in the Eastern time zone.

On the other hand, the State of Indiana executes its offenders in Michigan City, which is in the Central time zone.
    "Sorry for the delay, I got caught in traffic." — Rodney Scott Berget, South Dakota, October 29, 2018 — final words.

According to the upcoming death warrants, federal executions are scheduled for 4.00pm EDT.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_con View Post
    All the times should be at 12:01 AM because that will maximize the time for the warrant when the avalanche of appeals get filed on execution day.
    That’s right. There are two other remedies that are more efficient but that would require a statutory change in most states:

– The federal criminal justice system provides that an execution can be rescheduled immediately during the first 20 days following the initial date. But that remedy is probably not feasible at the state level.

– Provide a longer period than a day in the execution warrant, such as a week. Several states already do so.

Besides, Robert Blecker criticized Arkansas multiple executions in 2017 on the grounds that the death penalty should be applied singularly in association with the crime to serve its catharsis purpose (he was right, but Arkansas government was right nevertheless because their execution drugs were going to expire and it is more important to thwart obstructionism).

But for the same reason, criminals condemned for a common crime should be executed the same day, and Arkansas has done so once in 1994 and another in 1997. But for doing so today, the law should require that co-perpetrators sentenced to death have a joint appeal process if the prosecution requests it, even if they didn’t have a joint trial. And they should also have a joint trial, to avoid sentencing inconsistencies in a same case.

-------------------------

For both single and multiple executions, the best way to avoid botched executions is experience. Even under the partial and baloney criteria of the pseudo-DPIC, Texas had its last botched execution in 2000. From then to 2021, they carried out 340 other executions. So, when it is feasible, states should not only share their drugs, but also their most experienced executioners to help and train the others. And impose by statute secrecy of the identity of all members of the execution team, as for the provenance of the drugs.

And prisoners should be fed in such a way that they don't become or remain overweight.

-------------------------

A common slogan of death penalty opponents is that those supporting it should accept to attend or even participate in executions.

But one can also be unwilling to attend or help in an autopsy, and still believes that they are necessary and legitimate.

Especially autopsies in murder cases deserving a capital sentence, such as with a child or tortured victim.

A similar slogan is that death penalty defenders like executions, which is not better than saying that death penalty foes like murderers or murders.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 03-15-2023 at 12:20 PM.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

Reminder that if you wanna know execution times, refer to this thread and not keep asking on every inmate thread
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information