Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ralph Leroy Menzies - Utah Death Row

Taylor’s appeals have been exhausted for 8 months and they taken no action same will occur here.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Taylor chose lethal injection. Menzies chose firing squad.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Final petition for writ of certiorari filed May 3, 2023.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....5C22-7482.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    That cert petition has no chance. So esoteric and not even the strongest issue addressed in his habeas petition.

Thank god he chose firing squad too.

Final appeal distributed for conference 9/26/23.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/22-7482.html

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Menzies' petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
    Case Numbers: (19-4042)
    Decision Date: November 7, 2022
    Rehearing Denied: January 3, 2023

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...23zor_5368.pdf

An execution date has been requested.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...-could-be-next

Death Row Inmate Ralph Menzies Faces Firing Squad; Exhausts Appeals

This week, Utah Attorney General Sean D. Reyes announced that Ralph Leroy Menzies had exhausted all appeals in his 1988 capital punishment case. He will face a hearing within the next few weeks, where a judge is expected to sign a death warrant as the process progresses.

Menzies was convicted of the brutal murder of Maurine Hunsaker, a young mother of three who worked as a Kearns convenience store cashier. On February 23, 1986, Menzies kidnapped Hunsaker from her job and took her to Big Cottonwood Canyon. He kept her overnight in a picnic area near Storm Mountain. Her body was found two days later, tied to a tree with her throat slashed.

Over the years, her son has grown from a child to an adult who actively advocates for Menzies' execution. Menzies has been on death row for 35 years.

https://www.publicnow.com/view/A9756...593?1697744858

Prosecutors move to execute death row inmate Ralph Menzies

By Tim Gurrister
    Gephardt Daily

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah, Jan. 18, 2024 (Gephardt Daily) — Prosecutors Wednesday filed papers seeking a hearing to request a death warrant for long-time death row resident Ralph Menzies.

The filings request a hearing before West Jordan 3rd District Judge Matthew Bates for the purpose of seeking the warrant for Menzies’ execution.

“Menzies has no pending action challenging either his capital murder conviction or death sentence,” the Utah Attorney General’s Office writes. “Therefore no legal reason exists to delay issuing an execution warrant.”

The application for the warrant was filed earlier in the day, with attending documents. No response or scheduling document has been filed, the last entry in Menzies’ court file Wednesday a 5:45 p.m.electronic confirmation to all parties of a proposed order for the judge to sign.

It reads simply: “Pursuant to Utah Code Section 77-19-6(1)(2023) the Court hereby orders the Sheriff of Salt Lake County, or his designee to deliver to the Executive Director of the Utah Department of Corrections, or his designee, the Warrant of Execution and a certified copy of the judgment of death in the above-entitled case.”

On Dec. 22, a judge cleared away the apparent last obstacle to Menzies death, dismissing a lawsuit from Menzies and four other death row denizens that claimed Utah’s capital punishment statute was cruel and unusual.

Menzies was convicted in 1988 and sentenced to death for the brutal murder of Maurine Hunsaker, a young mother of three who worked as a Kearns convenience store cashier.

On February 23, 1986, Menzies kidnapped Hunsaker from her job and took her to Big Cottonwood Canyon, according to the Ag’s office. He kept her overnight in a picnic area near Storm Mountain. Her body was found two days later, tied to a tree with her throat slashed.

Two prior death warrants, specifying a firing squad, have been issued for Menzies, on March 30, 1988 and Sept. 11, 2003, according to court files, both vacated during the appeals process.

Utah’s last execution came June 18, 2010, with Ronnie Lee Gardner executed by firing squad for the 1985 fatal shooting of an attorney during a courthouse escape attempt. He was in prison at the time for the 1984 killing of a bartender during a robbery.

https://gephardtdaily.com/local/pros...ralph-menzies/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information