Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Jodi Arias Sentenced to LWOP in 2008 AZ Murder of Travis Alexander

Jan
    I would have banned live coverage too. I just want to view it on a "professional" basis; I want to see the facts. Unfortunately this coverage became entertainment and this is totally wrong. A court of law is no place to get your daily entertainment.

In Germany all live coverage or pictures during the trial are prohibited. But in most cases you can follow the trial as a courtroom spectator. Only in special cases like child abuse where the victim has to take the stand spectators aren't allowed.

I will be following on twitter if they allow twitter updates live.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Now Nurmi will have more free time for eating. I bet he's happy about that.

Jodi Arias lawyer tries to quit case

On Monday, convicted killer Jodi Arias was granted permission to act as her own lawyer in her September retrial to determine if she is sentenced to life or death.

On Friday, her lead attorney, Kirk Nurmi, asked the court to let him quit.

Arias, 34, is supposed to start picking a new jury Sept. 8. Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Sherry Stephens approved Arias' motion to represent herself, and appointed Nurmi and his 2nd-chair attorney, Jennifer Willmott, as her legal advisers for the upcoming trial.

Nurmi had asked to be removed from the case in 2011, but another judge denied the motion. With Friday's filing, Nurmi asks for reconsideration because the situation has changed.

In his motion he noted that the earlier judge told him he had an ethical obligation to stay on the case. But now that he is merely advisory counsel, he wrote, "his ethical obligations to Ms. Arias are lessened to the point where these ethical obligations are of significantly lesser import."

He also pointed out that Arias has repeatedly tried to fire him from the case.

On Monday, Nurmi told Stephens that he and Arias did not agree on defense strategy for the upcoming retrial.

A judge ruled that Jodi Arias will be allowed to represent herself in her upcoming death-penalty trial.

In April 2013, Arias was found guilty of 1st-degree murder for killing her lover. Travis Alexander, 30, was found dead in the shower of his Mesa home in 2008; he had been shot in the head, stabbed nearly 30 times, and his throat was slit. The jury in the 1st trial, however, could not come to a unanimous verdict as to whether Arias should be sentenced to life or death.

Arias was granted the right to represent herself before the 1st trial so that she could argue motions that her attorneys did not want to consider. When her motions were denied, she asked to have her lawyers back.

Stephens told Arias that she could change her mind this time as well, but if she asks to have attorneys represent her again, it will be final.

(Source: azcentral.com)
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Jodi Arias seeks delay of second penalty phase in murder case now set for September

PHOENIX – Jodi Arias is asking for a delay in the penalty phase retrial of her murder case while a judge considers whether to allow one of her attorneys to quit the proceedings.

Arias was convicted last year in the 2008 murder of her ex-boyfriend, but the jury deadlocked on a sentence. She said the killing was done in self-defense. Prosecutors argued it was carried out in a jealous rage.

A second penalty phase is set for Sept. 8 when jurors will decide whether she lives or dies for the crime.

Lawyer Kirk Nurmi has asked to leave the case. The judge has granted Arias' motion to serve as her own attorney, but Arias now says she will allow one of her two advisory lawyers to represent her if Nurmi is permitted to bow out.

There was no immediate ruling Wednesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/13...e-now-set-for/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Judge denies attorney's effort to quit case, setting stage for Jodi Arias to represent herself

PHOENIX – An Arizona judge has denied a request by one of Jodi Arias' attorney to quit, setting the stage for Arias to represent herself at the penalty phase of her trial.

Arias was convicted of murder last year in the 2008 killing of her ex-boyfriend, but jurors couldn't decide on a sentence. A second penalty phase is set for Sept 8 with a new jury as prosecutors try again for a death sentence.

Attorney Kirk Nurmi sought to quit, citing conflicts with Arias wanting to represent herself. Arias had said if he quit, she would not represent herself and would permit her other lawyer to handle the case. In the past, Arias has tried to fire Nurmi, and he has sought to get off the case.

Arias returns to court Aug. 22 for her motion to delay the retrial.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/15...jodi-arias-to/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Judge Delays Start of Arias Penalty-Phase Retrial

A judge has granted Jodi Arias' motion to delay her planned Sept. 8 penalty phase retrial.

Arias briefly addressed the judge Wednesday morning before the courtroom was closed to the media. The judge ruled later, setting a new retrial date for Sept. 29.

Lawyers declined comment.

Arias was convicted of murder last year in the 2008 killing of her ex-boyfriend, but jurors couldn't decide on a sentence.

A second penalty phase is set with a new jury as prosecutors try again for a death sentence. If the new jury fails to reach a unanimous decision, the death penalty will be removed as an option. The judge would then sentence Arias to spend her life behind bars or be eligible for release after 25 years.

Arias plans to represent herself.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/j...trial-25054994
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Local TV stations request to air delayed footage in Jodi Arias's retrial

By Kristen Keogh
    FOX 10 News

PHOENIX (KSAZ) - Live coverage of the upcoming sentencing retrial of Jodi Arias has been banned. On Friday the local TV stations, including FOX 10 proposed a compromise.

Millions watched the Jodi Arias trial last year. But when Arias acts as her own attorney and fights to avoid the death penalty in her sentencing trial no one will be able to see it live.

The proposal submitted Friday suggests no live coverage but video of the trial can be aired after the court has adjourned for the day.

"The last time around Jodi said two of her witnesses received death threats during the penalty phase and refused to come to Arizona and testify. Based on that the court said no live media coverage this time around," said Brian Foster.

Jodi Arias's expert witness list this time is under seal, and that could make a difference when it comes to TV cameras.

So when the witnesses show up to testify that will be the first time that the public and media know who they are. The thought is if they testify during the day, and leave at the end of the day, there cannot be threats or intimidation if the broadcast is shown after the close of business and after that witness has testified," he said

Ultimately this could all come down to Jodi Arias herself.

"Jodi Arias who is now representing herself gets to make the decision about whether to oppose the request to have the coverage delayed... it's not solely up to Jodi, but I will tell you if she does not oppose this request by the news stations the judge will likely allow the coverage," said Foster.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/26...ariass-retrial

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Passed away.
    Yes! Hopefully they will replay the day in its full entirety on HLN after the close of trial....cannot wait to see my girl defend herself in a DP punishment phase.

tpg Your girlfriend is a psychopath...LOL, that being said I really want to watch Jodi too

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread Information