Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jodi Arias Sentenced to LWOP in 2008 AZ Murder of Travis Alexander

Arias murder trial will resume today @ 12:30 p.m. EST and can be viewed live on RadarOnline.com

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...ial-livestream
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

The Jodi Arias Murder Trial: Everything You Need to Know About the Case

Jodi Arias is on trial for the first-degree murder of her one-time boyfriend, Travis Alexander, who was found dead at age 30 in his shower over four years ago. Arias, who has been locked up since her arrest in July 2008, has pleaded not guilty to the charge.

“I didn’t hurt Travis. I would never hurt Travis,” Arias said in a jailhouse interview after her arrest. “I would be shaking in my boots right now if I had to answer to God for such a heinous crime.”

Since her arrest, Arias has gone from denying any involvement in the crime, implicating others, to eventually claiming she was forced to kill Alexander in self-defense after years of abuse.

But in the trial that began on Jan. 2, Arizona prosecutors are painting Arias, a 32-year-old photographer from Yreka, Calif., as a jealous ex-girlfriend who should face the death penalty for what they deem a cold-blooded murder of a good man.

If Arias is convicted of first-degree murder, she could become the fourth woman on Arizona’s death row.

Here’s a breakdown of all the need-to-know facts in the Arias murder trial.

How did Alexander and Arias meet?
    Arias and Alexander came into each other’s lives at a Las Vegas work conference in September 2006. Arias says they fell in love, traveled the country together, and that she even converted to Mormonism for Alexander. But Alexander’s friends maintain that after they dated for a few months, he tried to break it off. One pal said Arias was Alexander’s stalker.

How long were Alexander and Arias dating?
    Arias told authorities that she dated Alexander for just five months before splitting in June 2007, though they maintained a sexual relationship thereafter. In a conversation with a detective the day after Alexander was discovered dead, Arias described herself as a “good friend” of Alexander.

How did Alexander die?
    Alexander was found dead on June 9, 2008, inside his standup shower in his locked room. Investigators determined Alexander was stabbed 27 times, had his throat slit from ear-to-ear and was shot in the head at his Mesa, Ariz.

What’s the prosecution’s case?
    Prosecutors argue that this was a case of fatal attraction, in which Arias was a jealous ex-girlfriend who brutally attacked Alexander after he tried to end their relationship. “This is not a case of whodunit,” prosecutor Juan Martinez said in his opening statement. “The whodunit sits in court today.”

What’s the defense’s case?
    Arias’ attorney, Jennifer Willmott, has claimed Arias was a victim of domestic violence and killed Alexander — who Willmott labeled a sexual deviant — in self-defense.

What evidence was collected from the crime scene?
    After Alexander’s body was discovered, police recovered a camera from his washing machine, which contained a memory card with pictures of Alexander and Arias’ last sexual encounter, of Alexander in the shower just before his death and of accidental shots seemingly taken when the camera was dropped. One snap features Alexander’s bloody body, while another shows Arias dragging his body across the floor.

http://www.celebuzz.com/2013-01-04/t...bout-the-case/

Highlights: Week 1 of Jodi Arias trial

It was a dramatic first week in a Phoenix courtroom as Jodi Arias faced a jury for the first time in her capital murder trial for the death of her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander. If you haven’t been following the trial, here are the highlights from the opening statements and this week’s testimony:

In his nearly two-hour opening statement, Deputy County Attorney Juan Martinez described the violent and nightmarish murder of Travis Alexander, that included at least 29 stab wounds to his back and torso, a gunshot wound to his face and a slit across his throat from ear to ear. Martinez discussed forensic evidence he said places Jodi Arias at the crime scene during the attack.

Martinez said police recovered a bloody handprint that contained a mixture of Arias’ blood and Alexander’s. Martinez told the jury police also recovered a series of time and date stamped photos of the couple engaged in sexual activity hours before the murder, as well as a photo taken while the attack was in progress.

In a dramatic closing, Martinez played an excerpt from Arias’ September 2008 interview with Inside Edition, where she emphatically stated, “No jury will convict me, mark my words, no jury will convict me, because I’m innocent.” Martinez concluded by asking the jurors to “mark her words” and return a guilty verdict.

Defense attorney Jennifer Willmott began her opening statement by telling the jury Arias killed Alexander in self-defense. She described the couple’s relationship as psychologically abusive and controlling, stating Alexander kept Arias as his “dirty little secret,” Meanwhile, Willmott stated Alexander repeatedly degraded Arias by telling his friends that she was a stalker.

On the day of the murder, Willmott said Arias was subjected to rough vaginal sex. Willmott stated Arias killed Alexander while she was defending herself against her angry ex-boyfriend after she dropped his new camera. Willmott discussed two time stamped photos taken on the day of the murder. One photo points up at the bathroom ceiling light after apparently accidentally falling. The other, a bloody photo of Alexander. Willmott concluded by telling the jury that if Arias had not chosen to defend herself in the one minute that passed in between those photos being taken, she would not be here today.

Marie Hall, a friend of Alexander’s who briefly dated him after Arias, was the first witness called to the stand. Hall testified she and Alexander planned a trip to Cancun, but she became concerned when she didn’t hear from him. The day before their scheduled trip, Hall stated she, a friend, and the friend’s boyfriend went to Alexander’s house at night and gained access through the garage.

Hall testified she noticed a “really bad smell” throughout the house once she was inside. Alexander’s roommate used a key to gain access to his locked bedroom, according to Hall. Moments later, Alexander’s roommate ran out and said, “He’s dead,” she testified.

Day one of the trial was wrapped up with testimony from Sterling Hall, the patrol officer from the Mesa Police Department who responded to Alexander’s home the day his body was discovered. Hall described in detail the Alexander’s body at the crime scene. Graphic photos of Alexander’s decomposing, nude body with a slit throat in the shower were shown to the jury. Jodi Arias could not hold back her tears.

Through a recorded phone call with lead investigator Esteban Flores, jurors heard Arias’ reaction to Alexander’s death. Flores testified Arias contacted him by phone on the day Alexander’s body was discovered. A day later on June 10, Flores called Arias back after receiving a second message. During that call, Arias told Flores, “I heard a lot of rumors, and that there was a lot of blood.”

On cross-examination, Defense Attorney Kirk Nurmi asked Flores if he recalled Arias telling him that Alexander hired her to clean his house and wanted her to wear a French maid’s outfit. Flores said he didn’t remember. The defense also presented email in which Alexander called Arias a “slut” and a “whore.” On redirect, the prosecution presented instant message emails where Alexander wrote to Arias, “I think I was little more than a dildo with a heartbeat to you.”

Through the testimony of Heather Conner, a crime scene technician and latent fingerprint examiner with the Mesa Police Department, prosecutor Martinez walked jurors through Alexander’s home. Conner testified she spent three days collecting evidence from the house. She reviewed photos of Alexander’s home, entry way, garage and laundry room. Inside the washing machine, Conner testified she found a camera inside the partially loaded washing machine. At the end of day two, photos of a bloody sink, a .25 caliber spent shell casing and a pool of blood were shown to the jury. Those photos left Alexander’s family members, and Arias, in tears.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/01...k-1-highlights

Mistrial motion denied in Arizona murder trial

A judge has denied a mistrial motion in the trial of an Arizona woman accused in the shooting and stabbing death of her boyfriend.

Jodi Arias' defense lawyers asked for the mistrial Thursday after accusing a prosecution witness of perjury.

The motion was denied and the trial is scheduled to resume Monday.

The 32-year-old Arias could become the fourth female on Arizona's death row if she's convicted in the June 2008 killing of 30-year-old Travis Alexander.

Authorities say Arias shot Alexander in the face, stabbed him 27 times and slit his throat, then left him in a shower in his Mesa home.

Arias claims the killing was in self-defense. Prosecutors argue the actions were those of a jealous woman who brutally attacked Alexander after he tried to end their relationship.

http://ktar.com/22/1600981/Mistrial-...-murder-trial-

Highlights: Week 2 of Jodi Arias trial

NEED TO KNOW

Jodi Arias is accused of shooting her ex-boyfriend in the face, stabbing him 29 times and slitting his throat from ear to ear.

It was another dramatic week in a Phoenix courtroom -- filled with testimony of gore, sex and lies -- as Jodi Arias stands trial for the death of her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander. Arias claims she stabbed Alexander 29 times, shot in him the face, and slit his throat from ear to ear in self-defense.

Gore

Day three of Arias' trial kicked off with the direct questioning of Heather Conner, a crime scene technician and latent fingerprint expert with the Mesa Police Department. Conner documented more bloody photos taken of the crime scene, including photos of a blood- smeared wall in the hallway next to the master closet. The jury saw photos of a piece of hair recovered from the hallway, and section of carpet from the master bathroom with significant blood stains.

Dr. Kevin Horn, M.D., the medical examiner who autopsied Alexander, was the next witness called to the stand. Arias immediately began to cry as the jury saw a gruesome photo of Alexander's decomposing face.

The medical examiner suggested Alexander did not die calmly. Alexander fought for his life before succumbing to three fatal injuries, including two stab wounds and a gunshot to the head that the state said in their opening statement occurred after Alexander was already dead.

By displaying the picture that prosecutor Martinez described as capturing the killing in progress, Defense Attorney Jennifer Willmott challenged the sequence events in attempt to downplay the extent of Alexander's suffering.

Elizabeth Northcutt, a forensic firearm examiner, testified the casing recovered from the victim’s bathroom and the bullet retrieved from Travis Alexander's cheek were both .25 caliber in size.

Sex

During the fourth day of the trial, Ryan Burns, Arias' alleged love interest, was called to the stand.

Burns testified that he expected Arias to show up at his house on June 4, 2008, the same day Alexander died. However, she never arrived, and he got worried about her because she was driving overnight.

After a series of phone calls that went straight to Arias' voicemail, Burns said Arias finally called him around 10:30 p.m. on June 4 and told him that she had taken the wrong freeway, had gotten lost and had taken a nap in the car.

Burns said when Arias finally showed up at his house on June 5, he noticed Arias had dyed her hair from blonde to brown and had a couple of bandages on her fingers.

Arias claimed she cut her hand on a broken glass at a restaurant called Margaritaville where she worked, Burns said.

That night, Burns said the pair watched a movie and began to kiss, but they didn’t take it any further because of their shared Mormon faith.

On cross-examination, Defense Attorney Kirk Nurmi confronted Burns with his e-mails to Arias, suggesting that he pursued her in an attempt to counter testimony that Arias was sexually aggressive.

Through the testimony of lead investigator Esteban Flores, the jury heard clips of Flores' two-hour phone conversation with Arias on June 25, 2008.

Among those excerpts was Arias recounting how she found out about Alexander's death, expressing shock, disbelief and regret that she didn't live closer and wasn't able to go to Alexander's home after she heard about his death.

Arias also told Flores that she contacted Alexander's family about the debt she owed him for the purchase of his car, and asked them whether the check she had written Alexander would be deposited.

Lies

Day five began with questioning of Nathan Mendes, a former detective with the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s office who testified there were no restaurants called Margaritaville in the county.

Two forensic scientists with the Mesa Police Department offered testimony to support the State's theory that Alexander fought for his life.
    Lisa Perry, a forensic scientist, testified a shell casing was found on top of blood in Alexander's bathroom, suggesting the fatal gunshot wound came later in the attack.

Jodi Legg, a DNA analyst with the Mesa Crime Lab, testified a latent palm print found on the wall of the hallway connecting the bathroom and bedroom, contained a mixture of DNA from Arias and Alexander.

Earlier in the day, jurors heard two excerpts from Arias' September 2008 interview with Inside Edition. In one of those clips, Arias said, "I can't imagine slitting anyone's throat."

In another clip, Arias said, "No jury will ever convict me, because I'm innocent. Mark my words. No jury will ever convict me."

At the end of day five, Arias' defense team asked for a mistrial, arguing that Detective Flores, the lead investigator, gave inaccurate information at a hearing in 2009.

Arias’ defense argued that a different judge in the 2009 probable cause hearing found there was enough evidence to suggest that Arias’ crime may have been cruel and determined Arias was qualified for the death penalty partially based on Flores’ testimony at the hearing.

The judge denied that motion, saying that Flores' "mistake" did not violate Arias' right to a fair trial.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/01...two-highlights

Jan
    Jodi Arias Denied Guilt After Told of Sex Photos, Palm Print, DNA

A defiant Jodi Arias insisted she was innocent of killing her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander even after a detective told her that he had nude photos of them together on the day he died.

"Are you sure it's me? Because I was not there," Arias is heard saying in the police interrogation tape played for the Arizona jury today.

When Detective Esteban Flores tells Arias she is seen in pigtails in the photos, she asks with a tone of incredulity, "Pigtails?"

As Flores laid out more incriminating evidence, including that investigators found DNA of their blood mixed together, her hair stuck with blood and her palm print in blood, Arias was insistent.

"I would not hurt Travis. I would not hurt Travis. I would not do that to him," she told Flores.

At another point Arias said, "If I hurt Travis I would beg for the death penalty."

"Jodi, this is over. … you have to tell me the truth," Flores says. The detective suggests a motive for the killing to be jealousy, and cites the opinion of Alexander's friends.

"They don't just say you were jealous. You were absolutely obsessed… a fatal attraction," Flores in heard on the tape.

Arias, now 32, has since admitted to killing Alexanderfollowing their tryst in 2008, but has claimed it was self-defense. She is accused of stabbing Alexander 27 times in the chest, back, and head, slashing his throat from ear to ear, and shooting him the head with a .25 caliber handgun.

Arias is charged with murdering her ex-boyfriend in a "heinous and depraved" way and could face the death penalty if convicted.

The interrogation tape was played after the jury was shown sexually graphic photos that police recovered from Alexander's digital camera. Among the pictures were shots of Arias and Alexander posing naked on Alexander's bed, as well as pictures of Alexander in the shower.

Those photos were the last pictures of Alexander while he was alive.

The final photos in the series show a body partly covered in blood on the bathroom floor.

Arias looked away from the screen in the courtroom where the sexual photos were shown, as her mother watched from the gallery. Alexander's sisters, also seated in the gallery, looked away from the photos of their brother.

Computer analysts for the city of Mesa, Ariz., where Alexander lived, went over the photos in detail during the sixth day of testimony in the trial. The photos were time stamped June 4, 2008, beginning around 1:45 p.m.

Prosecutors have said that Arias drove from her California home to Alexander's house, arriving early in the morning on June 4. The pair had sex in the afternoon, took photos of one another, and then Arias killed Alexander, age 30, around 5:30 p.m., they said.

The photos on the bed occurred around 1:45 p.m., according to the data on the camera. The shower photos and the pictures of a bloody body part occurred around 5:30 p.m.

In earlier testimony today, the jury watched video taped interrogations of Arias as she repeatedly denied to police stealing and using the handgun that killed Alexander.

Arias told police that she had never seen a .25 caliber handgun and had no idea her grandparents owned one until they reported it stolen a week before Alexander's killing, according to the police interrogation tapes played in court today.

Police from Yreka, Calif., where Arias lived with her grandparents, described the scene of the home when Arias's grandparents reported a break-in. The door was pushed in, breaking the door jamb, and many drawers were opened in Arias' bedroom and her grandparents' room.

The only things reported taken were the handgun, a DVD player, and $30, while other valuable items, including a large pile of quarters and three other guns, were left untouched. Arias told police that her laptop computer was not taken because she had hidden it in a laundry basket covered with clothes.

Officer Kevin Friedman of the Yreka police department told the court today that burglary struck him as odd.

"I believed it was unusual that small items worth money or money, for instance, that the change was not taken," said Officer Kevin Friedman, of the Yreka police department, who investigated the alleged robbery. "I also thought it was strange that only one of the firearms was stolen from the cabinet."

In the police videos, Arias is seen calmly denying stealing the gun from her grandparents' home and using it when she killed Alexander in June 2008, a week after the burglary.

The tapes are the first look at the interrogation and Arias appears to be relaxed as she denies knowing anything about the theft or the murder. She slumps forward at one point with her head almost on the table, and does not appear to be upset when the detective reads the Miranda right to her.

"The gun that was stolen, a .25 auto, just happens to be the same caliber used to kill him," Detective Esteban Flores of the Mesa, Ariz., police department said to Arias after she arrested her in July 2008 for the murder of Alexander.

"A .25 was used to kill him?" she asked.

"Jodi, we're just playing games here," Esteban replied.

"I didn't even know there were guns until my grandparents reported them stolen the day their house was broken into," Arias said.

The prosecution has presented witnesses and evidence throughout the five days of testimony showing that Arias lied repeatedly to investigators before her arrest.

"What did you do with the gun?" Esteban asked her in the video taped interviews.

"I don't have a gun," Arias responded. "I don't know what a .25 looks like."

Arias had previously told Esteban in phone calls and interviews that Alexander had inexplicably stopped returning her phone calls, that she had taken a road trip to Utah to visit a man she was interested in dating that Alexander was killed, and that she had never used a gun or been violent.

Arias later admitted driving to Alexander's house in Mesa, Ariz., where she killed him, before continuing onto Utah to meet her new love interest.

Police allege that Arias arrived in Mesa from California, that she and Alexander had sex, took sexually graphic photos of one another, and then Arias brutally attacked Alexander, killing him.

She then drove to Utah to see Ryan Burns, whom she kissed and cuddled with for a day before returning to California.

Alexander's body was found five days later in a pool of blood in his bathroom by his friends.

Arias lied to Burns and to cops about the trip to Mesa in the months leading up to her arrest, before she confessed and said the killing was in self-defense.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jodi-arias-...ry?id=18211547

Prosecution rests in Jodi Arias trial

The state rested its case in the murder trial of Jodi Arias Thursday, and the defense made an immediate plea for dismissal.

Prosecutors in the Phoenix courtroom rested after brief appearances by Mesa, Ariz., police detective Esteban Flores, Sprint representative Jeff Strohn, and an acquaintance of Arias, Leslie Udy.

Flores took the stand long enough for the prosecution to play a voicemail recording of a phone call Arias placed to the detective after Travis Alexander's murder. In the message, Arias requested to speak with him about Alexander.

Jodi Arias Crime Scene Photos (GRAPHIC)
    Who's Who In The Jodi Arias Case (PHOTOS)
    Jodi Arias Personal Photos
    Jodi Arias Timeline: Key Dates In The Case
    More Jodi Arias Coverage

Arias, a 32-year-old photographer, is accused of shooting Alexander in the face, stabbing him 27 times and slitting his throat from ear to ear in the shower of his Mesa apartment on June 4, 2008. She has pleaded not guilty to murder, contending that she killed Alexander in self-defense. Prosecutors allege Arias was jealous and did not want Alexander to see other women.

After Flores stepped down, Strohn, an employee of Sprint Nextel Corp., took the stand to briefly discuss phone calls made from Arias' cell phone after Alexander's murder.

The most interesting part of the day came with the final state's witness, Leslie Udy.

A resident of Utah, Udy testified that she met Arias in September 2006 at a work-related conference in Nevada. Udy said Arias expressed concerns that Alexander was cheating on her. Later, when she met with Arias in Utah after Alexander's murder, Udy said she observed cuts on Arias' hand, which the defendant attributed to a broken glass. Udy said Arias never told her she had killed Alexander.

During cross-examination by public defender Kirk Nurmi, Udy testified that Arias was a soft-spoken, gentle person and that she had trouble believing Arias could have killed Alexander.

It was obvious during redirect that prosecutor Juan Martinez was not very pleased with Udy's testimony regarding Arias' demeanor. In an effort to demonstrate to the jury that Udy did not know Arias as well as she might think, Martinez showed Udy photos of a nude Arias posing in sexually explicit positions and asked her if she knew about that side of Arias.

Udy replied, "No."

Martinez then showed Udy a photo the prosecutor alleges was taken during the murder -- a photo he claims shows Alexander in a pool of blood near Arias' leg. He asked Udy if she was familiar with the pants Arias was allegedly wearing in the photo.

Udy replied, "No."

Martinez then announced that the state was resting its case.

The prosecution testimony lasted less than an hour on day nine of Arias' murder trial.

Once the jury was escorted out of the courtroom, Nurmi filed a motion asking for dismissal of the premeditation charge. According to Nurmi, prosecutors had failed to present evidence of premeditation and therefore a reasonable jury could not convict Arias on a charge of premeditation.

Martinez voiced his disapproval of the motion, arguing that Arias had gone to great lengths to plan Alexander's murder. Martinez said Arias staged a burglary of her own home, rented a car, and brought a gun and a knife to Alexander's home.

Judge Sherry Stephens said she would review the motion.

While there will likely be some criticism of the prosecution's decision to pull up stakes on day nine, without presenting additional evidence or witnesses, Seattle lawyer and legal analyst Anne Bremner said she feels the state did an excellent job presenting the case to the jury.

"I think that the state has done well," Bremner told The Huffington Post. "They built their case step by step. They showed Jodi's lies and depravity. They showed her obsession. They showed her lack of remorse. She confessed. They have a dead body."

Bremner added, "In the Casey Anthony and O.J. Simpson trials, the DAs took far too long. They overtried their cases trying to anticipate any criticism or defense. As a result of that, they bored the jurors, obfuscated the issues, diluted their own powerful evidence and ultimately lost."

If the defense motion for dismissal is denied, Arias' lawyers will begin presenting their case at 10:30 a.m. on Jan. 29, according to a Maricopa County Superior Court spokesperson. If convicted, Arias could face the death penalty.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2498572.html

Recap: Week 3 of Jodi Arias trial

The State of Arizona has rested its case against Jodi Arias for the death of her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander. Arias claims she stabbed Alexander 29 times, shot him in the face, and slit his throat from ear to ear in self-defense. Arias’ defense team is now preparing its case for the jury, as the State of Arizona hopes it presented enough evidence to get a conviction.

Naked photos taken hours before the murder

For the first time on camera, jurors heard Arias repeatedly deny that she had anything to do with her ex-boyfriend’s death when Prosecutor Juan Martinez played tapes of Arias’ police interrogation with Detective Flores after her arrest.

After being confronted with evidence that police said placed her at the crime scene, Arias insisted to Flores, “I wasn’t there. I was not at Travis’ house.”

Arias acknowledged that a piece of hair and her bloody palm print recovered from the crime scene was “compelling evidence” against her, but insisted she didn’t hurt Alexander, and told Flores that if she had, “I would beg for the death penalty.”

Courtroom watchers were stunned when Mesa police officer Michael Melendez testified that he recovered date- and time-stamped naked photos of Arias and Alexander that were previously deleted from the camera found in the washing machine.

Pornographic photos of Arias and Alexander taken on the day of the murder suggested the two were involved in sex play in the hours before Alexander was killed.

A series of photos taken on June 4, 2008, between 5:22 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. of Alexander in the shower captured his last moments alive.

The final three photos were taken about a minute apart, and Prosecutor Martinez said they captured the attack in progress.

A photo taken at 5:31 p.m. showed the ceiling, another at 5:32 p.m. showed Arias’ foot appearing next to a bleeding Alexander, and the final photo taken at 5:33 p.m. showed blood smears on the baseboard.

Arias changes her story

After spending just one night in jail, the jury saw the police interrogation tape where Arias changed her story and admitted to Flores she was with Alexander when he was killed, but said they had been attacked by two intruders.

“I turned around. There were two people. One was a guy, and one was a girl. One was in all black. One was in jeans. The girl wanted to kill me,” Arias told Flores.

Arias described the attack in detail, even indicating on a floor plan where she thought the intruders struck.

“I started running this way…I got Travis and he wasn’t doing much. I was trying to get him. She came back…Travis was just starting to get weaker and weaker,” Arias cried.

After the assailants shot and stabbed Alexander, they warned her that if she reported the attack, she and her family would be punished, Arias said as she lied to police.

“Part of me didn’t want to leave. Travis was still alive but not moving a lot…Travis was bleeding everywhere,” she said.

After listening to Arias describe the attack for nearly 45 minutes, Flores said, “I don’t believe you. It doesn’t make sense. This is the most far-fetched story I have ever heard. Is this how you want to leave this?”

During opening statements, Arias' story changed again when Defense Attorney Jennifer Willmott said she killed Alexander in self-defense.

Jurors also saw phone records detailing calls that took place between Arias and Alexander. The records showed Arias made 10 calls to Alexander’s phone in the days before he died and four after his death.

The jury also heard a voicemail Arias left on Alexander’s phone about six hours after she killed him. During that message, Arias made small talk and invited him to see Othello.

Jurors also saw evidence that Arias made a 16-minute phone call to Alexander’s phone, which suggested she was trying to listen to his voicemails just hours after she killed him.

Arias’ mysterious road trip

The court recessed early Wednesday after the jury heard more of the videotaped statements Arias gave to Flores after her arrest.

“You had the knife and you stabbed him several times. Tell me the truth please,” Flores pleaded to Arias.

“If I had it in me to kill him, I would make it as humane as possible…quick. Not that I think killing him is humane,” Arias told Flores.

Raphael Colombo, a Budget Rent A Car owner, testified that he rented a car to Arias a few days before Alexander was killed.

A “gentleman” was with Arias when she rented the car, but he didn’t know who the man was, Colombo said.

Colombo testified that Arias told him she was using the car locally, but she returned the car with more miles on it than he expected -- over 2,800. He also said the car was returned without floor mats, and that the passenger seat and the middle of the back seat appeared to have "Kool-Aid" colored stains.

Officer Michael Galieti — former officer from West Jordan, Utah, where Arias had stopped to visit Ryan Burns the day after the killing — testified he pulled Arias over the day after Alexander was killed.

Galieti said he pulled Arias over because her rear license plate was upside down, and Arias told him, “My friend must have been playing a joke on me.”

The State rests

At the end of day 9, the State of Arizona rested its case after calling Arias’ friend who said she noticed nothing unusual about Arias' demeanor less than a day after she killed her ex-boyfriend.

“She was acting like Jodi,” Leslie Udy recalled after she attended a Prepaid Legal business event with Arias the day after the murder.

Udy testified Arias told her that she and Alexander were no longer together, but they would remain friends.

On cross-examination, Udy said, “The person I had known was very quiet, soft-spoken…I couldn’t imagine her doing something like that.”

In a dramatic fashion, Prosecutor Juan Martinez showed Udy two nude photos of Arias, and asked her, “Know anything about that aspect of her life?”

And after displaying the photo of Arias’ foot next to a bleeding Alexander, Prosecutor Martinez asked Udy, “She never told you she killed him, did she?”

After jurors left the courtroom, Defense Attorney Kirk Nurmi moved to dismiss the count of felony murder, arguing that the State had not presented any evidence of an underlying felony to support the charge.

“No one can debate that if he [Alexander] were alive to be asked ‘Do you want her to be in your house when she is stabbing you?’ he would say that he did not want her to stab him. At that point her status has changed from guest to murderer,” Prosecutor Martinez argued back.

As the judge takes the motion under advisement, Arias’ defense team will prepare to present its case to the jury on January 29.

Accused killer's artwork goes up for sale on eBay

We've seen interrogation videos and photos of accused killer Jodi Arias. Now, it appears she's involved in another visual medium.

The aspiring photographer turned murder defendant has now turned to eBay.com. A seller identified by the username "0817soldierofochrist" is selling colored pencil drawings claiming to be created by Arias.

One drawing titled "Grace Kelly" has attracted bids of at least $300, while another titled "Pisces" has reached nearly $350.

In the seller's notes section, it reads "Jodi thanks everyone that has helped out during these tough times. Please continue to pray for her family and for Travis' family."

Arias faces the death penalty for the murder of her former lover, Travis Alexander. His body was found inside his Mesa home in June 2008, with nearly 30 stab wounds, a gunshot wound to the head and a slit throat. Arias is claiming she killed him in self-defense.

http://ktar.com/22/1603546/Accused-k...r-sale-on-eBay

Jodi Arias on defense witness list leading some to speculate she may testify

On Jan. 25, 2013, the defense witness list was released in the Jodi Arias case. According to “Good Morning America’sNancy Grace, Arias’ name is on that list, thus, she could possibly testify in her own defense.

Arias is accused of brutally murdering her former lover, Mesa, Ariz. man Travis Alexander, in 2008.

The defense witness list includes one of Arias’ former boyfriends, Matt McCartney, who now resides in Calif., according to ABC 15.

View slideshow: Nude Photos of Jodi Arias and Travis Alexander, Believed to Have been Taken the Same Day he was Murdered

In addition, two former girlfriends of Alexander, who the defense argues he was seeing while dating Arias, will testify. Two of the slain man’s friends are also on the list.

View slideshow: Graphic Crime Scene Photos in Jodi Arias Case

Psychologist and expert on sexual violence, Richard Samuels, is also slated to testify.

Additionally, Arias’ former cell mate, Kimberly Ross, is on the defense witness list. ABC 15 notes that Grace tweeted Ross has an extensive rap sheet.

View slideshow: Photos of Jodi Arias and Travis Alexander, the Former Boyfriend She Admits Killing, Saying She Was Forced to Do So

Arias, 32, claimed the day of the murder she had been taking photos of Alexander in the shower, when she was hit on the back of the head. She said when she awoke Alexander was being killed by two masked intruders. One grabbed her, held a gun to her head, and told her if she talked he would kill her, according to her story. Arias alleged the man pulled the trigger and all she heard was a click so she ran down the stairs and out the door. She said she did not tell police about the incident because she was scared.

Later, Arias would admit to murdering Alexander, 30, because, she claimed, he was abusive and she had no choice.

The prosecution has rested in Arias’ trial, which is scheduled to reconvene on Jan. 29, as her attorneys plead her case.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jodi...he-may-testify

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information