Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latavious Johnson - Arkansas Death Row

Arkansas court agrees to put a hold on its ruling for inmate who killed guard

The Arkansas Supreme Court has agreed to put a hold on its ruling denying the appeal of a death row inmate convicted of killing a prison guard.

The court agreed Thursday to stay its mandate to allow Latavious Johnson to file a petition with the U.S. Supreme Court.

Attorney Jeff Rosenzweig wrote in his stay request that the case presented unique legal questions for the U.S. court, including whether an inmate convicted of violence inside a prison should be allowed access to information about the overall incidents inside that prison as part of his defense.

The Arkansas court denied a request last month by Johnson for a rehearing in his 2014 capital murder trial for the stabbing death of prison guard Barbara Ester when she tried to confiscate his sneakers.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2016/j...inmate-w/?news
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Johnson's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Arkansas
    Case Nos.: (CR-15-68)
    Decision Date: April 14, 2016
    Rehearing Denied: May 19, 2016

Arkansas Supreme Court rejects death row inmate's appeal

The Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday rejected the appeal of an inmate on death row for the 2012 fatal stabbing of a prison guard.

Justices rejected Latavious Johnson's argument that he received ineffective assistance from his attorney during his sentencing following his conviction for the killing of Barbara Ester. Johnson was convicted of killing Ester with a shank after she attempted to confiscate contraband shoes he was wearing.

Johnson was serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the shooting death of his father at the time of Ester's slaying.

Arkansas currently doesn't have any executions scheduled. The state's supply of lethal injection drugs expired last year and the state has not replaced them.

Johnson argued his attorney should have introduced additional evidence during his sentencing, including decades-old mental health records from his first trial.

https://www.thehour.com/news/article...s-15237441.php

On January 8, 2021, Johnson filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ar...cv00022/126384
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information