Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latavious Johnson - Arkansas Death Row

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Latavious Johnson - Arkansas Death Row

Sgt. Barbara Ester

Inmate Suspected of Stabbing Detention Officer Transferred to Varner Max

An Arkansas prison inmate is in solitary confinement, moved there after he allegedly stabbed a female detention officer in Brickeys Friday.

Prison officials say Latavious Johnson, already serving a life sentence for murder, has been transferred to the Varner super maximum security unit.

An investigation is still on-going to determine if he'll be charged with capital murder.

But prison officials say Sgt. Barbara Ester was trying to confiscate a pair of unauthorized tennis shoes when they say Johnson stabbed her with a shank likely made of a piece of an air conditioning vent and an ace bandage.

Sgt. Ester's husband, her niece, and some cousins also work at the Brickey's unit.

A charity organization for detention officers will be covering her funeral expenses but exact arrangements haven't been finalized.

It's only the second time in Arkansas prison history that a detention officer has died at the hands of an inmate. The other time was in 1995.

http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext?nxd_id=501302

Funeral set for Cpl. Barbara Ester, correctional officer killed by Latavious Johnson

MARIANNA, Ark. (KTHV) - Funeral arrangements are set for a correctional officer killed by an inmate last week. (http://on.kthv.com/yVUGGI)

Cpl. Barbara Ester will be laid to rest Saturday in Marianna. The funeral will begin at noon at Lee High School at 523 Forest Avenue.

The Arkansas Association of Correctional Employees Trust will cover her funeral expenses and has provided $3,000 to the family for miscellaneous expenses.

Those wanting to make a contribution in her honor, you can mail them to:

AACET
    P.O. Box 1579
    Cabot, AR 72023

The Arkansas Department of Correction says they are grateful for the outpouring of sympathy from people across the country. They say, "This is obviously a difficult time, but it has been made easier by the gestures of kindness and support from the public and representatives of correctional and law enforcement organizations. Please continue to pray for her family and fellow correctional officers. They will need the strength of many prayers in the days to come."

They're receiving messages of condolences from all over the United States, and even Canada.

From Pulaski, NY: "I don't know if I'm using the correct email address for this message, but I just wanted to give my condolences to the family, co-workers and friends of [Cpl.] Ester. I read about her death at the East Arkansas Regional Unit today on CNN.com. I am very sorry for your loss.

I never knew this person, but I feel strongly about how important it is to show gratitude to our law enforcement officers, first responders like EMT's, and correction officers for the work they do. Oftentimes it's a thankless job, which is most unfortunate. My ex-boyfriend retired from the NY State Dept. of Corrections awhile back, having previously served as a police officer.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss."

From Napanee, Ontario: "Could you please pass on to the staff at the East Arkansas Regional Unit the condolences of the correctional staff of the Quinte Detention Centre in Napanee Ontario, Canada on the passing of [Cpl.] Barbara Ester who was recently murdered while on the job."

From Missouri: "To All Arkansas Department of Corrections staff I just wanted to say how sorry I am to read of the murder of [Cpl.] Ester. I am a Sgt. with 29 years in the Missouri Department of Corrections. I supervise the Central Services are in a med/max security unit of 1925 inmates in Cameron,Mo. One of my areas is the Property/Clothing issue section. I feel as I have lost a Sister that I never met. Please pass my thoughts and condolences on to her fellow Corrections Officers."

Cpl. Barbara Ester was stabbed to death by male inmate Latavious Johnson, after she noticed that he was in possession of a pair of tennis shoes that weren't issued by the ADC Friday.

Because they were not formally issued, the shoes were considered contraband. Sgt. Ester then entered the open barracks where Johnson stayed with a number of other inmates, and he allegedly stabbed her at least twice in the abdomen.

The East Arkansas Regional Unit is back to normal procedures of operation Monday.

THV's Max Seigle is visiting the area today, talking with those who were close to Cpl. Ester. He'll have more tonight at 10:00.

(Source: Arkansas Department of Corrections)

Passed away.
    Latavious' first murder conviction, his father was the victim.

Arkansas Supreme Court rejects death row inmate's appeal

The Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday rejected the appeal of an inmate on death row for the 2012 fatal stabbing of a prison guard.

Justices rejected Latavious Johnson's argument that he received ineffective assistance from his attorney during his sentencing following his conviction for the killing of Barbara Ester. Johnson was convicted of killing Ester with a shank after she attempted to confiscate contraband shoes he was wearing.

Johnson was serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the shooting death of his father at the time of Ester's slaying.

Arkansas currently doesn't have any executions scheduled. The state's supply of lethal injection drugs expired last year and the state has not replaced them.

Johnson argued his attorney should have introduced additional evidence during his sentencing, including decades-old mental health records from his first trial.

https://www.thehour.com/news/article...s-15237441.php
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

On January 8, 2021, Johnson filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ar...cv00022/126384
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Johnson's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Arkansas
    Case Nos.: (CR-15-68)
    Decision Date: April 14, 2016
    Rehearing Denied: May 19, 2016

Inmate accused of stabbing guard to face murder charge

A prosecutor said Thursday that he plans to file a capital-murder charge next week against Latavious Johnson, the inmate accused of fatally stabbing a guard at the East Arkansas Regional Unit near Brickeys in January.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2012/m...rder-20120309/

Prosecutor files capital murder charge against inmate accused of killing Ark. prison guard

Prosecutors have filed a capital murder charge against an inmate accused of stabbing a guard to death in an east Arkansas prison.

Attorneys filed the formal charge this week in Lee County against 30-year-old Latavious Johnson.

Prisons spokeswoman Shea Wilson says she doesn't know of a lawyer representing him.

Prison officials say Johnson killed Sgt. Barbara Ester in January while she was investigating whether he had an unauthorized pair of shoes.

Prosecutor Fletcher Long says he's going to allege two aggravated circumstances in the case that he says would justify the death penalty. Investigators say Johnson admitted to stabbing Ester and in a statement said he didn't mean to kill her.

Johnson had been serving a life sentence for killing his father. Court documents don't list an attorney for Johnson.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...-Guard-Killed/

Trial set for inmate accused of stabbing guard to death in east Arkansas prison

A trial date has been set for an inmate accused of stabbing a guard to death in an east Arkansas prison.

A Lee County clerk said Wednesday that Latavious Johnson's trial is scheduled for Oct. 29 in Marianna.

Prison officials say Johnson stabbed the guard, Barbara Ester, while she was investigating whether he had a pair of unauthorized shoes in the prison.

He was previously sentenced to life in prison for killing his father.

Prison records show that 30-year-old Johnson is being held at the state's maximum-security unit at Varner.

One of his attorneys, Joe Perry, didn't immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...-Guard-Killed/

Case of inmate charged with killing guard at east Arkansas prison will likely be continued

A prosecutor says he doesn't expect the case of an inmate accused of stabbing a guard to death in an east Arkansas prison to go forward next week.

Latavious Johnson was slated to go to court Monday, but prosecutor Blake Spears says he expects the case to be continued.

Spears says he doesn't know when Johnson's court date would be rescheduled.

Prison officials say 30-year-old Johnson stabbed Barbara Ester in January while she was investigating whether he had a pair of unauthorized shoes in the prison.

Johnson faces a capital murder charge in Ester's death. Johnson was previously sentenced to life in prison for killing his father.

One of his attorneys, Joe Perry, didn't immediately return a phone message left Friday.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...n-Guard-Killed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information