Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Row Artwork/Poetry/Books

what I love about this whole thing is that the victims family is outraged and surprised that he has been able to draw or paint in his cell
    You meant to word that differently, right?

Angola has a rodeo. Yep, a rodeo where inmates are the cowboys and people come from all over to go to this thing!
    They are not death row inmates.

In addition to that, any inmate who wants to sell something (woodwork, artwork, etc) can put it out at a booth (the Correctional Officers obviously facilitate this) and they can sell their stuff to the public! And yes, they get paid....and guess who else gets paid? The Warden! Right -- he gets like a 40% cut of everything to pay for prison stuff.
    The Angola Prison Rodeo also includes an Arts and Crafts show, complete with concessions; all produced by inmates.

The $450,000 a day revenue brought in by the rodeo "pays for Baptist seminary classes at the prison, funerals for inmates, educational programs and maintenance of the prison's six chapels <<<< Source Wikipedia

See the Warden is not pocketing the proceeds.

Missy I am sure you understand the difference between general population inmates participating in a prison event, and death row inmates sneaking artwork out to be sold for a profit which is illegal.

Senior Member Frequent Poster stixfix69's Avatar
    This guy has a better chance of dying of old age than he does by lethal injection.....Cali is a joke.........
    Last edited by stixfix69; 02-20-2012 at 08:36 PM.

missymiss
    Hi Heidi!

You're partially correct...death row inmates aren't allowed to participate in the rodeo activities but they are allowed to send items out to be placed up for sale. There's no sneaking stuff out -- there's a whole process where the CO's take the items, specific paperwork is signed by all parties, and then again when the proceeds gets deposited in the inmates accounts. By saying Cain gets a cut, of course I meant his prison and whatever charitable functions he so deems to get a portion -- however, the only reason why he's upset that this guy was selling his stuff online is because he wasn't getting his cut...and every article you read about this makes it seem like he's just so concerned about the victims families being offended.

Missy have you been to the rodeo? Does the prison mark the merchandise as hand crafted by a death row inmate?

missymiss
    Yes, I've been....and no, it's not marked by a death row inmate. There's a ton of booths and alot of stuff for sale. Most people put their initials or name somewhere on the item but it's not like they group all the stuff by crime or different camps at the prison.

I do understand that just the thought of having a website where all they sell is stuff from 'killers' is sickening and yuck -- so i'm not blind to the fact that part of this story is the craziness of the people who go online specifically to buy something from a convicted killer....whereas, when you're walking around at the rodeo, you could see a rocking chair or a birdfeeder or a painting that you really like and you have no idea who the person is that created it...or what they did to be convicted.

That being said, Cain is still a hypocrite in my book -- *shrug*

I think buying something made by the hands of a murderer is "sickening and yuck", but I don't mind discussing it!

An agreement would be, that all the prison inmates art work will be sold by one official webstore. The items should be sold without any reference to the inmate. If someone likes the art itself (and not the morbid murder-made-story behind it) it would be ok if someone pays for it. What I donīt like is that companies/persons earn money with murder memorablia/art. Most of the earnings should be spend for the victims or its relatives, the prison and the court (to keep the DP on the table even if the trial is expensive). The inmate could get a Twix or M&Ms and new pencils and paper. A good side effect is that itīs likely that a drawing inmate doesenīt have to much time to think about violent actions against others.

And BTW - welcome back missymiss. :cheerful:

missymiss
    whoa...hold up, Michael ~ can it be that we actually *gasp* agree on something? :beguiled: That's a great idea about the official webstore! And I completely agree about the proceeds, although I'm seeing paperwork nightmare. In a perfect world, the prison and the victims family would take like 80% and the inmate would get his stamps and Twix - win/win!!

Your point about keeping the inmates busy is valid. I didn't post this early because I didn't want to make it seem like anyone on death row needs pity but....after this whole deal with Lee blew up in the media, all the guys on the Louisiana row had to give up all their art supplies. It truly does keep some of them busy, which means an easier day at work for the Correctional Officers, etc. I've said it before and I'll say it again...these guys should be doing something USEFUL -- they're kept solitary, etc so any work details is out of the question but dang, can't we seriously come up with SOMETHING they could do all day long to benefit society??

and btw...thx Michael -- I missed all y'all!!

Itīs always said, that we germans are bureaucratic monsters and that the US is the land of the free - so I expect not much paperwork on the other site of the big pond. .. and I agree - I like the idea too.

In an episode of Lockdown there was a great interview with a warden which changed my mind on this topic. I donīt care much about the inmates ( :playful: ) but we should think about the staff members. If art makes their job easier it would be ok for me.

BTW - we could agree on so much more topics - you just need to come on the other site of the fence. :cheerful:

time2prtee

Ok, so yes, Todd Lee's artwork was being sold online -- what I love about this whole thing is that the victims family is outraged and surprised that he has been able to draw or paint in his cell but

Wow Missy, I really do not hope that you MEANT to be that offensive...WOW!

I am guessing his victim's families are looking to justice...I can't imagine their pain knowing that he is even BREATHING, let alone selling something..

Like I said, I hope this was misstated...Lee

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information