Thread: Malcolm Rent Johnson - Oklahoma Execution - January 6, 2000

Banned

Malcolm Rent Johnson - Oklahoma Execution - January 6, 2000

Facts of Crime:
    On October 27, 1981, Frank Thompson found his aunt, 76-year-old Ura Alma Thompson, deceased on the floor of her Oklahoma City apartment. Following an autopsy, the medical examiner found evidence of forcible sexual intercourse before death. He concluded that although Thompson was not strangled, she died of asphyxiation either because of pressure on her chest during the intercourse or because her assailant covered her mouth and nose. On October 27, 1981, police arrested Johnson on an unrelated weapons charge at his apartment, where they seized several items later identified as belonging to Thompson, including furs, a typewriter, watch, key rings, cigarette case, hand mirror, rings, a purse and other valuables.

Johnson denied knowledge of the homicide, but when told that semen found in Thompson's body matched his own, he reportedly responded, "you couldn't have found my semen in her, I didn't come." State Police chemist Joyce Gilchrist testified that semen found on the bed coverings in Thompson's apartment matched Johnson's blood type. She also testified that several strands of hair found at the scene of the crime were "consistent microscopically" with petitioner's hair. A neighbor testified that Johnson was near the scene at the time of the murders.

The defense did not present any witnesses. Johnson had prior convictions for two rapes, two armed robberies, and a burglary. He was on parole from Illinois at the time of the murder.

Following the execution, Gilcrist was fired from the State Lab and retests on the evidence in Johnson's case showed discrepancies.

Victim: Ura Alma Thompson

Time of Death: 12:13 am

Last Meal: Three fried chicken thighs, 12 shrimp, tater tots with ketchup, two slices of pecan pie, strawberry ice cream, honey and biscuits, and a soda

Final Statement: "I'm innocent, and I've got peace in my heart, and I'm ready to go home. I'm going to heaven on a midnight train. God Bless my family."

January 6, 2000

Oklahoma Carries Out First U.S. Execution of Year

McALESTER, Okla. (AP) -- A man who raped and suffocated a 76-year-old woman in her Oklahoma City apartment in 1981 was executed by injection early today, becoming the first person put to death in the United States this year. Malcolm Rent Johnson, 41, was pronounced dead at 12:13 a.m.

Johnson had been on death row for almost 18 years after being convicted of killing Ura Alma Thompson. Oklahoma County District Attorney Bob Macy, who prosecuted Johnson, said Johnson was identified in several rapes or attempted rapes involving elderly women.

He said Johnson would follow elderly women to their homes and brutalize them. Last month, Johnson opted not to go before the state clemency board to try to have his sentence commuted.
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

Thread Information