Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Brandon Lee Bradley - Florida

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Related:

Carlie Brucia killer gets new sentencing hearing

The Sarasota Herald-Tribune

The Florida Supreme Court on Friday ordered a new sentencing hearing for a man who killed 11-year-old Carlie Brucia in Sarasota County in a case that drew national attention.

Justices issued a unanimous, one-paragraph order directing a new hearing for Joseph Smith, now 55, who was convicted in the 2004 murder. The order came more than two months after Attorney General Ashley Moody’s office acknowledged in a court filing that Smith should be resentenced because of rulings last year by the Supreme Court in other cases.

Those rulings came after a series of complicated death penalty developments that began in early 2016 when the U.S. Supreme Court found Florida’s death penalty system unconstitutional because it gave too much authority to judges, instead of juries, in imposing death sentences.

The attorney general’s office in March also acknowledged the need for new sentencing hearings for several other convicted murderers. Along with Smith, the Supreme Court on Friday ordered new hearings for David Sylvester Frances, Pinkney W. Carter, Gerald Delane Murray and Brandon Lee Bradley.

https://heraldtribune.com/story/news...ng/5099263001/

Man on death row for Brevard deputy's killing to get life in prison

VIERA, Fla. — Brandon Lee Bradley, who is on death row for shooting and killing Brevard County Deputy Barbara Pill during a 2012 traffic stop, will be sentenced to life in prison next month, the 18th Judicial Circuit said Wednesday.

Bradley was convicted of first-degree premeditated murder in her death, and a jury voted 10-2 to recommend death. A judge subsequently imposed the recommendation.

But in 2017, Bradley was granted a new sentencing hearing after a Florida Supreme Court ruling that meant juries' death penalty recommendations must be unanimous.

At the time, Brevard Sheriff Wayne Ivey said that Bradley "is a thug who deserves to die for taking the life of Barbara Pill, someone who had given her life for protecting others."

But on Wednesday, the 18th Judicial Circuit said the state of Florida won't pursue a resentencing hearing for Bradley, citing the Pill family's wishes not to be exposed to more pain and trauma from her loss.

"After lengthy consideration and discussion, the Pill family has requested that we agree to a sentence of life in prison for Mr. Bradley rather than seek the death penalty through a new sentencing proceeding. Their expressed desire was to avoid re-living the pain and trauma they experienced in the first trial, as the graphic and disturbing evidence detailing Barbara’s murder was presented for a new jury to consider," State Attorney Phil Archer said in a statement.

"I give great weight to the wishes of the surviving family members in these instances and I have agreed to honor their request."

Because Bradley will not go through a resentencing hearing, he will get life without parole.

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...y-barbara-pill
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Edited:

Man who killed Brevard deputy gets life sentence without parole

Brandon Bradley gets sentence for shooting death of Deputy Barbara Pill

By clickorlando.com

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. – The man who shot and killed a Brevard County deputy will spend the rest of his life behind bars without the possibility of parole.

Brandon Bradley, 28, was sentenced Friday for the 2012 murder of Deputy Barbara Pill.

Bradley was originally facing a death sentence, following his 2014 conviction. However, a jury came back with a 10-2 decision to impose the death penalty on Bradley.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...ithout-parole/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information