Thread: Clayton Antwain Shanklin - Alabama Death Row

Clayton Antwain Shanklin - Alabama Death Row

Michael Crumpton and sister Amanda

Shanklin sentenced to death in 2009 murder

A Parrish man was sentenced to death by lethal injection Wednesday morning for the role he played in the 2009 murder of a Cordova resident.

Clayton Antwain Shanklin, 26, was given the death penalty by Walker County Circuit Judge Doug Farris, overriding a jury recommendation in October that he be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Before the sentence was handed down, family members for Shanklin begged Farris to show him mercy.

“I’m begging the court to save his life,” Shanklin’s father, Clayton Shanklin Sr., said. “I love him with all my heart, and I would trade places with him if I could.”

Renea Shanklin, the defendant’s mother, told Farris, “I love my son, and I’m begging you to save his life. His family needs him.”

Farris called his decision a “most difficult decision.” He said the murder deprived two children of their father.

“The community is fortunate that four people were not killed,” Farris added.

In his final comment to Shanklin, Farris said, “I pray, sir, that you make amends with our maker.”

On Oct. 27, 2011, following a nine-day trial, Shanklin was found guilty of first-degree capital murder during a robbery, first-degree capital murder during a burglary and attempted murder due to his alleged involvement in the crime.

Michael Crumpton died on Oct. 12, 2009, at his home in Cordova after he was shot in the back four times during a robbery allegedly committed by Shanklin and his cousin, Kevin Shanklin, who is awaiting his capital murder trial.

Crumpton’s wife, Ashley, was also shot in the leg during the incident, and their two, small children were inside the home when the incident happened.

Laurie Evans, Crumpton’s mother, said during Wednesday’s sentencing hearing that her son’s death “changed everything” for their family.

“There are no words to describe the nightmare you go through,” she said. “I feel like one of the biggest parts of me has died.”

Sina Beard testified Wednesday that Crumpton’s death has had the biggest impact on his children.

“His loss is so great that I can’t even begin to describe in words the effect it has had on our lives, and especially the babies,” she said. “He was a loving father and this has caused those little ones so much trauma.”

Walker Count District Attorney Bill Adair said he was pleased with Farris’ decision.

“This family has been through so much,” Adair said. “I feel the evidence in the case showed that the death penalty was the appropriate sentence. I commend Judge Farris for the sentence that he handed down.”

similar stories
    Shanklin sentencing delayed until Jan. 24 | 4 months ago

Shanklin capital murder trial continues | 5 months ago

Parrish man found guilty of capital murder | 5 months ago

Defense, prosecution rest in capital murder trial | 5 months ago

Jury selection in Shanklin murder trial under way | 6 months ago

Daily Mountain Eagle - Shanklin sentenced to death in 2009 murder

Kevin Dwyane Shanklin

Related

Life sentence for 2009 murder

Kevin Dwyane Shanklin pleaded guilty Tuesday to one count of murder and one count of attempted murder in the 2009 shooting of Michael and Ashley Crumpton in their Cordova home.

Walker County Circuit Judge Hoyt Elliot sentenced Shanklin to life in prison for the murder charge and 10 years for the attempted murder charge to be served consecutively, in accordance with the plea deal.

Shanklin also agreed to testify for the prosecution in any future trials, if needed.

Shanklin had been indicted on a capital murder charge like his cousin, Clayton Antwain Shanklin, who is currently on Alabama’s death row awaiting execution in the case.

According to Kevin’s testimony during the plea, he was picked up by Clayton and co-defendant Tracy Ward at his home in Jasper. The trio then drove to Cordova where Ward dropped off the Shanklins near an apartment complex. According to the statement and Ward’s previous plea, she had purchased marijuana from Michael Crumpton earlier in the day and knew he had money.

Kevin and Clayton Shanklin entered the apartment and attempted to rob the Crumptons, who they found sleeping. During the ensuing struggle, Michael Crumpton was shot four times in the back and died. Ashley Crumpton was shot in the leg and claimed Clayton also pointed the gun at her face, but it misfired. All the bullets came from the gun Clayton Shanklin brought to the scene and Kevin Shanklin and Ashley Crumpton said he was the shooter.

The couple’s two children, who were 8 months old and 2 years old at the time, were in the house but were not harmed.

Walker County District Attorney Bill Adair said he was pleased with the outcome of the case, which will include securing Kevin Shanklin as a witness if there are any appeals in the original case of Clayton Shanklin.

“It secures the conviction of not only Kevin Shanklin, but in the event there is any kind of successful appeal, we will now have another eyewitness in this case,” Adair said.

The nine-day trial of Clayton Shanklin was difficult for the Crumpton family, and they were in agreement with the plea deal, Adair said. Ward took a plea deal before Clayton Shanklin’s trial and testified against him.

http://www.mountaineagle.com/view/fu...=homefirstleft

Court reverses Blount County death penalty; rules for death penalty in Dale County case

An Alabama appeals court struck down a death penalty conviction Friday and re-instated another.

In a case from Blount County, the appeals court reversed the capital murder conviction and death sentence that Thomas Doyle Crowe received for the November 2009 killing and robbery of Marvin Dailey. The appeals court said the trial judge gave improper instructions to the jury about Alabama's capital murder law. The ruling would allow a new trial.

The appeals court ordered the capital murder conviction and death sentence be reinstated for Emanuel Aaron Gissendanner Jr. in Dale County. A lower court had ruled that he should get a new trial because of ineffective attorneys at trial. The appeals court reversed that in a 3-2 decision.

Gissendanner was convicted of killing Margaret Snellgrove during a kidnapping and robbery in November 2009.

In other cases, the appeals court:

—Split 3-2 in upholding the capital murder conviction and death sentence that Corey Allen Wimbley received in Washington County for the shooting and robbery of Connie Ray Wheat at a grocery store in Wagarville in December 2008.

—Unanimously affirmed the capital murder conviction and death sentence that Clayton Antwain Shaklin received in Walker County for the shooting death of Michael Crumpton during a robbery at his home in October 2009.

—Unanimously affirmed the capital murder conviction and death sentence that Ronnie Lynn Kirksey got for causing fatal injuries to 23-month-old Cornell Norwood in April 2006 in Etowah County. Kirksey lived with the child's mother in Gadsden and was watching the boy while the mother was away, the court said.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/sto...Death-Penalty/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Shanklin's petition for certiorari.

US Supreme Court refuses to hear sentencing challenge

MONTGOMERY - Today the U.S. Supreme Court denied a petition for certiorari in Clayton Shanklin v. Alabama, in which a convicted murderer argued that Alabama's capital sentencing scheme was unconstitutional under the Court's recent decision in Hurst v. Florida. This was the first Alabama death penalty appeal to reach the Supreme Court on this issue since Hurst was decided on January 12, 2016.

Attorney General Luther Strange said, "The Supreme Court's decision to deny this petition establishes, yet again, that Alabama capital sentencing system is constitutional. As I have previously explained, the Court's decision about Florida law in Hurst has no bearing on the constitutionality of Alabama's materially different capital sentencing system. It is time for criminal defense lawyers to stop making specious arguments and for public officials to recognize that Alabama's capital sentencing is constitutional under current U.S. Supreme Court precedent."

In the Florida case, the holding is that a jury must find the aggravating factor in order to make someone eligible for the death penalty. Alabama's system already requires the jury to do just that. The jury must unanimously find an aggravating factor at either the guilt or sentencing phase-such as when the murder was committed during a robbery, a rape, or a kidnapping.

Shanklin was convicted of capital murder and attempted murder, which he committed during a home-invasion robbery in 2009 in Cordova. A jury in Walker County Circuit Court recommended that Shanklin be sentenced to life-without-parole. But, under Alabama law, the judge sentenced Shanklin to death because of his long criminal history and the nature and circumstances of his crime.

There were no noted dissents to the Court's single sentence order denying the petition.

http://abc3340.com/news/local/us-sup...cing-challenge

On December 15, 2020, Shanklin filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/al...cv02020/175906

Thread Information