Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Actual Innocence After Execution

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    In my opinion, no one on death row is innocent, even if it were proven they were not guilty of the crime they were accused. In the United States decent law abiding citizens are not accused of capital crimes. Those on death row have done some shady stuff to be a suspect in the first place.
    Let's take Kirk Bloodsworth for example...he was proven by DNA to of been Innocent and was Exonerated. He now travels the nation speaking out against the Death Penalty at Legislative Hearings in different states and recently even on the Colbert Report, lol. He didn't do anything illegal, he was convicted because of faulty eyewitness identification.

I'm not saying that all 142 Death Row exonerees never committed any crime, but I can assure you that there are some who were completely innocent who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. None of them were deserving of Death...and if ANY of them were to of been executed you would of had an Innocent person executed.

As I've stated before, I do believe that Innocent people have been executed in the United States since 1976...I don't know how many, but I would bet money on it.

Diggler, I found Jesus when I was conceived and the Lord works through me everyday. I'm a devout Catholic and I'm not trolling.

142 Death Row exonerees
    Another useless statistic from DPIC.

Only 18 have been exonerated.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Banned
    Only 18 have been exonerated by DNA evidence. But the other 124 were exonerated by other means.

CaliHornia
    In my opinion, no one on death row is innocent, even if it were proven they were not guilty of the crime they were accused. In the United States decent law abiding citizens are not accused of capital crimes. Those on death row have done some shady stuff to be a suspect in the first place.
    I'm not sure about that. The West Memphis Three come to mind.

I do think the vast majority of death row inmates were not otherwise angels. But it does happen that people without prior records end up there. And in the case of those three kids, on the basis of incredibly shaky evidence and major problems with the trial.

Now, nothing is error free. And you could as easily die innocent in jail on a life sentence as on the gurney. So you have to do some balancing.

For myself, I worry as much in this regard with the guilty going unpunished. Someone else killed those kids that the West Memphis Three did time for....and they've not received their dose of justice.

WM3 = Alford Plea

An Alford plea (also called a Kennedy plea in the state of West Virginia, an Alford guilty plea, an "I'm guilty but I didn't do it" plea and the Alford doctrine in United States law is a guilty plea in criminal court, where the defendant does not admit the act and asserts innocence. Under the Alford plea, the defendant admits that sufficient evidence exists with which the prosecution could likely convince a judge or jury to find the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

CaliHornia
    Those were two pretty shoddy trials. Very little evidence of guilt (basically none but for a laughably bad interrogation leading to a bad confession and alleged confessions in the other case). Not to mention an indication that the bad confession by one of the accused was somehow wrongfully introduced to the jury in the trial of the other two accused boys. And evidence that points to one of the parents was there (in fact, there was a story just this past week that based on DNA evidence at the scene tying one of the boy's stepdad's to the scene the case may be re-opened).

It would be impossible for a state not to make a mistake every now and then. Really impossible given that, at the end of the day, unfortunately not all the people on the law enforcement side of things are totally on the up and up (see the story on Watkins I linked on McCarthy's execution page).

Quote Originally Posted by Kriers View Post
    Here's a list of People who were executed, but have strong cases of Innocence.

Carlos DeLuna- Texas Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989
    Ruben Cantu- Texas Convicted: 1985, Executed: 1993
    Larry Griffin- Missouri Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1995
    Joseph O'Dell- Virginia Conviction: 1986, Executed: 1997
    David Spence- Texas Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997
    Leo Jones- Florida Convicted: 1981, Executed: 1998
    Gary Graham- Texas Convicted: 1981, Executed: 2000,
    Claude Jones- Texas Convicted 1989, Executed 2000
    Cameron Willingham- Texas Convicted: 1992, Executed: 2004
    Troy Davis- Georgia Convicted 1991 Executed 2011

I truly do believe that people in the US have been Innocent and Executed.
    Our System is flawed and I see the only solution is to get rid of it.
    I don't believe in the Death Penalty for any crime.
    Why am i not surprised? You could get away with that idiocy at ccrap, but not anywhere that the people have a little sense.
    Why do antis always float willingham? there is NO possibility that he was innocent. there has not been a shred of evidence to even suggest that he might have been. the fact that it has been discovered that a couple of indicators previously thought only present in arson fires can be present at normal fires, does absolutely NOTHING to cast any doubt of willingham's guilt. that is NOT what convicted him. he was convicted because of his behavior during and after the fire, the fact that he was more concerned about his dart board than his kids, and the fact that he had tried to murder one of the kids before it was even born that convicted him.
    TYWy davis? yeah, all the looney tunes were dancing with that one too. again, there is NO possibility of him being innocent. when you kill a cop with the same gun you used to shoot a guy in the face that afternoon, innocence is damn hard to try to fly
    i'm not even going to bother with the rest of them. The same applies to all. There is not a shred of evidence that would overturn the conviction.
    Sorry about your luck

Why didn't you add Roger Keith Coleman to your list? Keep on thughugging!
    Yeah. That was funnier than hell. All the anti numbnuts were guaranteeing that the dna was going to show he was innocent. It was so comical when it blew up in the fools' faces.

Well I would guess because DNA Testing proved his guilt?
    I'm not "Thug Hugging" as you say...I just don't believe in the Death Penalty because of my Moral Beliefs and because of the High Cost of it all to the Taxpayer.
    I'm actually writing a College Comp. Argumentative against the Death Penalty this Week.

And I cited that list from: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/exec...sibly-innocent
    You have no morals. Your assertion that the life of a murderer is more important than the life of the five year old child that he raped and murdered is despicable.
    Your disdain for human rights does not serve you well.
    I would suggest that, when you see something on an anti site, you go to an objective site and get the FACTS before you parrot the lies

Obviously no one is going to bother engaging you in debate. You have made your stance on the death penalty crystal clear. I would appreciate you moving along now.
    i am sad that i haven't been around for awhile. Although it isn't probable, the hope exists, however forlorn, that an anti could possibly see the light

But I do Love Debating, oh so much!
    What I do also wonder is, IF it was Proven that someone was 100% Innocent and was Executed, would you still trust the system of the Death Penalty?
    Since there is NO possibility of that ever occurring, it is a moot point
    happiness is a warm gun and a dead thief

custer died for your sins

Junior Member Stranger

I can't agree with your logic here because to do so would be to have total faith in a justice system that must surely be succeptible to human error from time to time.
    Most people have done something 'shady' at some point in their lives & so I don't follow your argument ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Should someone be executed if there is even the slightest doubt about their guilt ?
    Justice should not depend on the size of your bank balance or colour of your skin !

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information