Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Actual Innocence After Execution

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Baldrick View Post
    Well it seems relevant to me. Because I believe the average wait on death row is something like 15 years. Therefore any time after that is borrowed time and it seems more likely that an execution will happen. So 20, 25 or 30 years from this position and obviously not fully up with the 'system', appears to be applied in an arbitrary way, but then again that seems to be the case anyhow. Once you're in the system 'they' like to keep you there and are reluctant to change their minds and admit 'they' got it wrong. In fact just today/now as the radio has just reminded me 'they' have changed the story on the crush at Hillsborough in the 80s with 96 dead, the gates were not forced/rushed, but opened by the police.
    I heard that on the radio as well (are you a wannabe old person like me who listens to Radio 4 on my way to/from work ) shocking.

Personally I think the appeals system should be more scientific. If I propose an alternative model for how a system behaves that radically disagreed with everyone elses I'd have to do experiments to demonstrate that this is the case (and how the currently understood model doesn't explain my results). As a matter of fact, I do radically disagree with my PI on something like this :p although I'm not the only one. A defendant should be expected to put forwarded an explanation for how the evidence against them can be explained by an alternative explanation, and some evidence that supports this. Rodney Reed for example is trying to do this, but aside the dispute over the degree of rigor mortis he hasn't put forward anything convincing of his version of events. Atleast, nothing that would outweigh the evidence used to convict him. No one should spend 30 years on death row, how long does it take to resolve a case that's being investigated thoroughly?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard86 View Post
    who listens to Radio 4
    Naw, radio5live, mostly!

Seth08
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Baldrick View Post
    Not to forget The Birmingham Six, The Guildford Four, Macquire Seven, Cardiff Three, etc. mostly from the 70s, who would have all been executed if the death penalty had not been abolished in the 60s. But they lived to be released many years later on appeal, so we can concluded that there
    must be many cases, that are not in the public eye, from the 1900s that did not get that treatment.
    You can add Stefan Kisko to that list.

sir baldy, the reason that murderers spend a decade or more on death row is because of people like yourself.
    bonnie heady was executed fifty-five days after she was arrested.
    dna testing should be automatic in every case, at the beginning, so that it is guaranteed that every fool that is sentenced to death is guilty.
    one trip through the courts, which results in over twenty judges studying the case, is all the appeal that should be allowed.
    there should never be more than 18 months to 2 years between sentence and execution
    happiness is a warm gun and a dead thief

custer died for your sins

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    France managed about 2 years between sentence and execution and I can't think of any innocent people they executed. The only one I know of that's disputed by anyone is Christian Ranucci.

i don't know much about france. i know that there were a couple in the uk who have been shown to be innocent. there were a couple in the u.s, such as lena baker, who have been shown to be innocent.
    the thing is, all of the innocents that have been executed were before all of the safeguards that have been put into place. there has not been a single case in the u.s. since 1976 of an innocent being executed. there is no possibility that it could happen
    happiness is a warm gun and a dead thief

custer died for your sins

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread Information