Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matthew Lee Johnson - Texas Death Row

Passed away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post

Amazing what a crap-load of commissary money, lack of crack, and some gold rimmed glasses can do huh? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Any other sentence than a death sentence can´t be accepted. LWOP is not enough for a criminal like him.
    I agree. It sickens me when there are cases where the victim(s) are set on fire.

Jan
    Jennifer Emily ‏@dallascourts

Court preparing to sequester Johnson jury. Getting luggage from car, deciding if can have cell phones.

Jury Still Weighing Fate Of Garland Clerk Killer

A jury in Dallas County entered its second day of deliberations on Friday, trying to determine the fate of a convicted killer. Matthew Johnson could face the death penalty, depending on the verdict. Jurors spent Thursday night sequestered at a local hotel, so as not to be influenced in what is literally a life-or-death decision.

These same jurors found Johnson guilty of captial murder last week in the death of a Garland convenience store clerk. Johnson robbed 76-year-old Nancy Harris and set her on fire. The vicious attack was recorded by surveillance cameras.

If the jury determines that Johnson is a continuing threat to society — and there are no extenuating circumstances for his behavior due to his past — Johnson will be sentenced to death instead of life in prison. If the jury cannot reach an unanimous decision about what the punishment should be, Johnson will automatically receive a sentence of life in prison.

Jurors were allowed to make phone calls to family members on Friday morning, but were closely monitored by baliffs and only allowed to tell their loved ones that they were okay and heading back to court. Deliberations on Thursday lasted for about six hours.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/11/08/j...-clerk-killer/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Jan
    A Dallas jury just sentenced Johnson to death!

Man Who Set Garland Clerk on Fire Sentenced to Death

A North Texas man convicted of capital murder for setting a clerk on fire as he robbed her Garland convenience store has been sentenced to death.

After about nine hours of deliberation over the course of two days, the jury unanimously sentenced 38-year-old Matthew Johnson to death. The jury last week returned a guilty verdict for the May 2012 death of Nancy Harris.

On Monday, Johnson took the stand on his own behalf, trying to save his life.

"I just want to live long enough to see my girls grow up," he said. "I put myself and family in a bad situation and the victim's families. I feel like a coward. I have my day of redemption, and I ask forgiveness from the victims families and for the court to have mercy."

Johnson is married and has three daughters, ages 15, 11 and 3.

Jurors can choose between death or life imprisonment without parole for Johnson, who admitted to police that he killed the 76-year-old Harris.

Johnson poured lighter fluid on Harris as she stood behind the store counter and set her on fire after she had opened the register for him.

Harris suffered burns over 40 percent of her body and died days later.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Pun...230970931.html

Jan

Weidmann1939
    I confess I'm finding it hard to feel anything like empathy for Mr. Johnson.

Conviction upheld for condemned Texas man

HOUSTON (AP) - The state's highest criminal court has upheld the conviction of a Dallas-area man sent to death row for the burning death of a clerk set on fire during a convenience store robbery.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals on Wednesday rejected an appeal from 40-year-old Matthew Johnson of Garland.

He was condemned for the death of 76-year-old Nancy Harris, who was splashed with lighter fluid and set ablaze at the Garland store where she worked. Security video captured part of the incident. Harris was able to describe the suspect before she died several days after the May 2012 attack.

Johnson's lawyers argued unsuccessfully there were 65 errors two years ago at his trial, including questions about jury selection, punishment phase testimony and the sufficiency and propriety of evidence.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/conviction-...-man2/36522366
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Johnson's petition for certiorari

Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Texas
    Case Nos.: (AP-77,030)
    Decision Date: November 18, 2015

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information