Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unabomber Ted Kaczynski

Unabomber Ted Kaczynski

Unabomber submits update to Harvard alumni book

Harvard University alumni attending their 50th class reunion this week are getting updates on classmates — including Unabomber Ted Kaczynski.

Kaczynski graduated in 1962 and is locked up in the federal Supermax prison in Colorado for killing three people and injuring 23 during a nationwide bombing spree between 1978 and 1995. In an alumni directory, he lists his occupation as "prisoner" and says his awards are "Eight life sentences, issued by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, 1998."

Harvard’s alumni association said all class members, including Kaczynski, were invited to submit entries for the class report, distributed for reunion activities during commencement week. But it said it regrets including his references to his convictions.

"While all members of the class who submit entries are included, we regret publishing Kaczynski’s references to his convictions and apologize for any distress that it may have caused others," the Harvard Alumni Association said in a statement Wednesday evening.

A Harvard spokesman said the update was submitted by Kaczynski but could not immediately say how the university confirmed that. A message seeking comment was left with Kaczynski’s attorney.

Kaczynski is a Harvard-trained mathematician who also got master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Michigan.

He lived as a recluse in a Montana cabin, railed against technology and led authorities on the nation’s longest and costliest manhunt. He was caught in 1996 when his brother recognized his idiosyncratic writings and tipped off authorities.

Kaczynski pleaded guilty two years later to avoid a trial at which his lawyer had planned to offer an insanity defense. The guilty plea also saved him from the death penalty.

Items seized from his cabin were auctioned last year by the U.S. Marshals Service for more than $200,000 to benefit his victims.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/re...osition=recent
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, rotting in supermax, doesn't regret his three murders or years of spreading fear

By DAVID J. KRAJICEK
    The New York Daily News

On a spring day in 1978, a young Northwestern University engineering professor named Buckley Crist received an odd phone call from another Chicago college campus.

Someone had found a package in a parking lot at the University of Illinois at Chicago, and Crist was listed as the return addressee.

The caller asked if Crist would like the parcel returned. The professor was dubious.

“The person who ostensibly sent that package was me, which was not true,” Crist recalled recently on a Northwestern podcast. ”My antenna was up. Obviously something was amiss.”

The package was delivered by courier to Crist. He gingerly scissored away the paper wrapper, and underneath he found a handcrafted wooden box with a door inscribed “OPEN.”

He said he was spooked by the “stupid little door…and I said, ‘I’m done.’”

A Northwestern campus cop, Terry Marker, decided to open the box himself. As he did, it exploded with a thundering boom. Inside the box was a 9-inch piece of pipe packed with explosive powder rigged to ignite with matchheads when the door was opened. Despite the big bang, the bomb was a dud.

Marker escaped with a minor hand injury.

University officials and law enforcers shrugged at the incident. It seemed like a one-off anomaly—no big deal.”

They collected all the bits and pieces and dumped it in a trash can,” Crist recalled.

That explosion on May 25, 1978, gained new importance a year later when a second bomb-in-box at Northwestern injured a student who opened it. The 1978 case proved to be the curtain-raiser for a domestic terrorist that the FBI would dub the Unabomber because his early targets were universities and airlines.

It would be 18 years before the madman was unmasked as Ted Kaczynski, a reclusive former academician on a whacked-out quest to publicize his theory that technology was destroying the human race.

A federal task force pursued the elusive bomber throughout the 1980s, as a series of explosives arrived at universities in Utah, Tennessee, California and Michigan.

The Unabomber got his first fatality in December 1985 in Sacramento, Calif., when Hugh Scrutton, 38, was killed by an explosive left outside his computer store. Public relations executive Thomas Mosser was killed in December 1994 by a bomb sent to his New Jersey home.

In April 1995, Gilbert Murray, a California timber lobbyist, died when he opened a letter bomb at his Sacramento office.

After 17 years underground, the Unabomber came into the light with a 35,000-word screed— “Industrial Society and Its Future” — that the Washington Post published as an eight-page supplement on Sept. 19, 1995.

David Kaczynski, an Albany social worker, noticed similarities in the manifesto to themes and phrases in letters from his older brother Ted, and he approached the FBI through an intermediary.

Born in Chicago in 1942, Ted Kaczynski once was a mathematics genius who had won a scholarship to Harvard at age 16, earned a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan, and worked as a professor at Cal-Berkeley before walking away from society in 1971, eventually retreating to the woods.

On April 3, 1996, federal agents roused Kaczynski, then 53, from his cramped cabin near Lincoln, Mont. Inside they found journals with detailed accounts of the planning, construction and execution of his bombings. He took macabre delight in his work.

After reading in a newspaper that his first murder victim, computer salesman Scrutton, had been "blown to bits,” Kaczynski wrote in his journal, “Excellent. Humane way to eliminate somebody. He probably never felt a thing. $25,000 reward offered. Rather flattering.”

Charged with multiple felonies, Kaczynski avoided capital punishment by pleading guilty to murder and other charges 20 years ago. Now 76, he is serving life at the federal “supermax” prison in Florence, Colo., where he continues to fret over technology.

His manifesto and two more recent tomes with similar themes are available at Amazon, where his author’s page says Kaczynski “has focused his life’s work on sounding the alarm about society’s paramount problem: the omnipresent, subjugating, and destructive force of technological progress.” (He earns nothing from sales, his publishers say.)

His bio glosses over the three murders and more than 20 injuries he caused with his 16 helter-skelter bombings over two decades. He had hoped for many more victims: The bomb he secreted on an American Airlines flight in 1979 — because he objected to jet engine noise — was another dud.

Two decades behind bars have not changed Kaczynski, whose ideas lean to the alt-right.

In addition to technology, he is nettled by “elite” scientists, activist women, liberals, and other “politically correct types.”

Like many mass killers—from Columbine’s Eric Harris to California “kissless virgin” Elliot Rodger—Kaczynski presents himself as part of a “revolution.”
    And like the others, he offers no apologies for killing innocent people.

In a letter from prison to a love interest who questioned his violence, he wrote, “Do I feel that my actions were justified? To that I can give you only a qualified yes.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny-n...711-story.html
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Wilso
    Extremely dumb to have given him a plea deal. Nothing is admirable, intriguing, or fascinating about this callous killer.

I have to disagree with you here. His writings are highly fascinating and, dare I say, prophetic at times.Industrial Society and Its Future, Technological Slavery, and Anti-Tech Revolution: How and Why are all reads that I highly recommend.

Consider some of the following quotes:

He absolutely nailed it on conservatives: "the conservatives are fools: they whine about the decay of traditional values, yet they enthusiastically support technological progress and economic growth. Apparently it never occurs to them that you can't make rapid, drastic changes in the technology and economy of a society without causing rapid changes in all other aspects of the society as well, and that such rapid changes inevitably break down traditional values." Paragraph 50 of ISAIF.

And he sure broke down the pharmacological subjugation of man, highly redolent of Huxley's Brave New World: "The system makes people sick by subjecting them to conditions that are not fit for human beings to live in, and then it restores their ability to function by feeding them drugs. To me, this is a colossal insult to human dignity." Excerpted correspondence from Technological Slavery, page 183.

Or consider his rebuttal of the left's habit of acting as if the Tribals of the New World were all more virtuous than the European conquistadors: "[author] plays up ethnographic facts that teach his readers politically correct lessons, but he understates or omits altogether ethnographic facts that are politically incorrect. Thus...[He emphasizes] the Indians' acceptance of intersexed persons, he does not mention, for example, that among many of the Indian tribes, women who committed adultery had their noses cut off, whereas no such punishment was inflicted on male adulterers; or that among the Crow Indians a warrior who was struck by a stranger had to kill the offender immediately, else he was irretrievably disgraced in the eyes of his tribe; nor does [he] discuss the habitual use of torture by the Indians of the eastern United States. Of course, facts of that kind represent violence, machismo, and gender discrimination, hence they are inconsistent with the present day values of the system and tend to be censored out as politically incorrect." From the essay "The System's Neatest Trick," in Technological Slavery. Page 123. Kaczynski also points out in ISAIF that leftists grossly exaggerate and Enthusiastically point out any flaws here in the West, but downplay, ignore, or acknowledge only begrudgingly much worse flaws in communist countries and other despotic nations. Just look at how the woke left treats the USA as a White supremacist nation but ignores China's much worse human rights record. Pro sports leagues do business with China and work with apparel companies that use sweatshops overseas while acting uppity about Georgia's voting law (to the point of moving the all star game). And the NBA, who simps for China, a prolific abuser of human rights - as already mentioned - that currently operates literal concentration camps for minorities, but pulled the all star game out of North Carolina for (gasp!) the evil policy of requiring people to use the bathroom of their biological sex! Not to mention they act as if the United States is racist against any minorities while ignoring China's treatment of its minorities and dissidents.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Wilso
    Nice some enjoy his drivel but Ted should've been worm food. If they got the DP for him, I'm sure Barr/Trump would have had him executed last year.

I have a mindset where if you kill someone, I couldn't care less what you say, no matter what it is about lol.

Senior Member Member
    "I have a mindset where if you kill someone, I couldn't care less what you say, no matter what it is about lol."

Andrew Jackson, among others, might have disagreed.

I have to agree with all sides here

Kaczynski was right about how technology would screw up mankind. Although there were other less violent ways to express his views.

Also, Wilso does have a point. Kaczynski has admitted that he enjoys prison. He’s basically just back to what he was before his arrest, being in a small room away from mankind and spending his time reading and writing. Life Imprisonment at ADX Florence isn’t a real punishment for someone like Ted Kaczynski
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Wilso
    Yeah the way technology is going scares me sometimes with inventions like Meta and self aware robots.

I really don't understand why they didn't pursue the DP for Ted. Makes me wish there was a mandatory death sentence atleast for serial killers but society is too "progressive" for that.
    Last edited by Wilso; 12-09-2021 at 12:06 AM.

They actually did pursue the death penalty but Kaczynski pleaded guilty to all charges in exchange for a life sentence. He tried to withdraw the guilty plea because, according to him, the judge coerced him into pleading guilty. However his request to go to trial was denied
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Wilso
    Oh yeah my bad. I suppose his alleged paranoid schizophrenia may deserve a sentence reduction to some but something about his complete lack of remorse just completely scares me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information