Thread: Charles Ulysses Sneed - Alabama Death Row

Charles Ulysses Sneed - Alabama Death Row

Charles Ulysses Sneed

Summary of Offense:

On September 7, 1993, Sneed and his cohort John Hardy (also sentenced to death) shot Clarence Nugene Terry, 51, multiple times with a rifle during the robbery of a convenience store. The store’s videotape showed Terry attempting to hide under the counter while Hardy shot him. Sneed argued that he had not known that Hardy intended to kill the clerk.

Sneed was first sentenced to death in 1995. The sentence was overturned in 2000. Subsequently, he was once again given a death sentence in 2006.

Hardy died of natural causes on June 14, 2015.

February 4, 2006

Murder suspect convicted again

By Sheryl Marsh
    The Decatur Daily

More than 10 years after the first trial, a second Morgan County jury convicted Ulysses Charles Sneed of capital murder in the 1993 slaying of Clarence Terry, a Bud's convenience store clerk.

The jury will decide whether to recommend death or life without parole for Sneed on Monday in Circuit Court.

Sneed was first tried in 1995 with co-defendant John Hardy, who shot Terry multiple times with a rifle Sept. 7, 1993. Terry, 51, was working the night shift at Bud's on Westmead.

A jury convicted both men of capital murder, and Judge Sherrie Paler sentenced them to death.

The state Supreme Court overturned Sneed's conviction and sentence in 2000 based on a statement that was entered as evidence.

Deliberations lasted for about four hours Friday before the jury reached a verdict.

Earlier, prosecution and defense attorneys presented closing arguments.

Defense attorneys Allen Stoner and Carl Cowart contended that Sneed was guilty of felony murder but not capital.

Stoner said in his closing argument that Sneed's participation in the robbery made him guilty of the lesser-included charge.

"You needn't worry about turning Mr. Sneed lose on the street," Stoner told the jury. "He will be punished."

He went over evidence and encouraged jurors to watch the videotape, which recorded the crime.

Stoner said District Attorney Bob Burrell had to prove that Sneed had intended for Terry to die.

"You cannot look into somebody's head to say there's the intent," Stoner said.

In rebuttal argument, Burrell told the jury that Hardy or Sneed could've easily manhandled Terry because of his small frame.

"The defendant weighed 275 pounds at the time, and Hardy was 6'5" tall. Clarence Nugene Terry weighed 119 pounds," Burrell said. "Either one of them could've jerked that little man up with one hand."

As to Sneed's intent, Burrell said, "I don't know what he was thinking, but I know what he did."

Sneed testified Thursday that he did not know that Hardy was going to kill Terry. He denied hearing the gunshot Hardy fired as the two entered the store.

The videotape showed Terry duck behind the counter and crawl underneath the counter to avoid being shot.

Sneed went to the cash register and was shown trying to open it, and Hardy went around him to Terry, leaned over and shot the victim.

"While Mr. Hardy took care of the clerk, he (Sneed) took care of the cash register, and there they go out the door," Burrell told the jury.

Sneed was 23 when the murder occurred. He and a friend, Chris Hines, who had relatives in Tanner, were there visiting from Kentucky. Hardy and Hines are cousins.

Hardy remains on Alabama's death row.

http://legacy.decaturdaily.com/decat...derfront.shtml

August 15, 2008

Court nixes motions to review 4 Ala. death penalty cases

The Alabama Supreme Court has turned back motions to review 4 Alabama death penalty cases, including the appeal of Westley Devone Harris, convicted of killing 6 members of a Crenshaw County family.

The court on Friday also refused to hear the appeals of death row inmates Vernon Madison, Geoffrey Todd West and Ulysses Charles Sneed. The court issued no written opinions.

All 4 condemned men have further appeals available.

Harris was sentenced to die for the 2002 murders of 6 members of his girlfriend's family at their farm in Rutledge.

Madison was convicted in the 1985 murder of a Mobile police officer. West was sentenced to die for the killing of an Etowah County store clerk in 1997. And Sneed received a death sentence for the killing of a store clerk in Decatur in 1993.

(Source: The Associated Press)

No. 08-7306 *** CAPITAL CASE ***
    Title:
    Ulysses Sneed, Petitioner
    v.
    Alabama
    Docketed: November 19, 2008
    Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Alabama
    Case Nos.: (CR-05-2033)
    Decision Date: December 21, 2007
    Discretionary Court
    Decision Date: August 15, 2008

~~~Date~~~ ~~~~~~~Proceedings and Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nov 13 2008 Petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis filed. (Response due December 19, 2008)
    Dec 19 2008 Brief of respondent Alabama in opposition filed.
    Dec 30 2008 Reply of petitioner Ulysses Sneed filed.
    Jan 8 2009 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of January 23, 2009.
    Jan 26 2009 Petition DENIED.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/08-7306.htm

On August 31, 2016, Sneed filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/al...cv01442/159969

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Sneed's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Alabama
    Case Nos.: (CR-12-0736)
    Decision Date: November 14, 2014
    Rehearing Denied: October 16, 2015
    Discretionary Court
    Decision Date: March 18, 2016
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Sneed’s habeas petition denied by the federal district court on August 31, 2022.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...442/159969/34/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

On October 3, 2022, Sneed filed an appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci.../ca11/22-13328
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information