Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derek Tyler Horton - Alabama

Derek Tyler Horton - Alabama

Jeannette Romprey

Jury recommends death for man in Grand Bay murder

A jury has recommended the death penalty for a man accused of killing a Grand Bay woman at her trailer home in 2010.

The Press-Register (http://bit.ly/OMvCTV) reports that the Mobile County Circuit Court jury returned with a 10-2 verdict Friday in favor of the death penalty for Derek Tyler Horton.

Circuit Judge Charles Graddick will make the final decision and has set the sentencing for Horton on Oct. 10.

Horton is accused of robbing 59-year-old Jeanette Romprey at her home on April 10, 2010, and then fatally shooting the woman twice before setting the trailer on fire.

Police found Horton — who was 18 years old at the time — walking along the highway with his clothes covered in mud.

http://www.cbs42.com/news/content/st...-PK7QXdzw.cspx
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

And out of nowhere an Alabama death sentence!

Thanks for the pic tpg...DSL...they are going to love him!

Passed away.
    They are indeed...and he has that "pretty boy" look about him. I give it 6 months before you can fit a can of soda in his anus.

Alabama will never let us know those intimate details! Rest assured someone will be hitting that!

Opalmaje
    Jeannette was my mom I am her oldest daughter and sat thru the trial and sentencing of Derek. I have no doubt in my mind this man is guilty he did not show one ounce of remorse thru the whole trial. one thing the papers and news dont tell you was my mom was on her knees when she was shot twice in the top of her head execution style. We believe he was making her pray. I pray the judge stands by the jurys verdict and sentence. I also believe we stopped a serial killer whos first victim was my innocent mom.

Welcome to the site Opal. I am sorry for your loss, and I would like to apologize for mine and tpg's snide comments about Horton. We got a little carried away.

I don't think you have to worry about the judge not following the jury's recommendation. Alabama has a pretty good track record.

Opalmaje
    Well if he does stick to jurys decision Horton won't be in general pop he will be stuck in a little box for 23 hrs a day. As far as your remarks it's ok the hate i have for him nothing that happens to him would be enuf. Thanks for your kind words....you watch stuff on tv like this and never think it can happen to your family it's all so surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Opalmaje View Post
    you watch stuff on tv like this and never think it can happen to your family it's all so surreal.
    I can only imagine, following crime and death penalty trials has made me paranoid, or extremely cautious, depending on who you talk to.

Judge hears execution arguments in slaying of ‘totally innocent victim;’ will decide next month

Prosecutors and defense lawyers today made their best arguments over whether convicted murderer Derek Tyler Horton should be executed, but the judge said he will not decide until next month.

A Mobile County Circuit Court jury in August found Horton guilty of capital murder and then recommended on a 10-2 vote that he be sentenced to death for the 2010 robbery and killing of a Grand Bay woman.

Presiding Circuit Judge Charles Graddick listened to both sides and then asked them to submit proposed sentencing orders in writing. He said he would impose judgment on Nov. 7.

By law, Graddick has two options – death, or life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Samantha Alspaugh, the victim’s daughter, said she was OK with the extra wait.

“I’m not concerned, with the way things have been handled,” she said. “It would have been nice (to see a decision today), but if it’s another month, it’s another month. It’s been two and a half years.”

Assistant District Attorney Jo Beth Murphree recounted the circumstances of the crime: Horton broke into Jeanette Romprey’s home on April 10, 2010, shot her twice and stole her car. Before leaving, Horton set the home on fire.

“Obviously, we agree with the jury’s recommendation for death in this case,” Murphree said. “You have a situation where a totally innocent victim was in her own home.”

Defense attorney Greg Hughes said all murders are terrible but argued this one does not stand out compared with others.

The defense submitted a friend-of-the court brief by the American Psychological Association in a U.S. Supreme Court case that resulted in raising the minimum age for execution to 18. That lays out all of the differences in adolescent brains that make many psychologists believe that people should not be executed for crimes committed before turning 18.

Hughes argued that 18 is an arbitrary line, noting that his client was just four months past his 18th birthday on the day of the crime.

“He’s just barely in the range where death is even an option,” he told Graddick.

What’s more, Hughes argued, Horton’s criminal record basically consists of stealing a compact disc and damaging a car.

“The rest of it was problems between him and his mother, who by all accounts, used the police as a parenting tool,” he said.

Murphree urged the judge not to give Horton a break based on age.

“Even though he is young, he had many, many changes during the course of his life to make difference decisions,” she said.

Graddick, on the recommendation of prosecutors, dismissed one criminal charge hanging over Horton’s head – a third-degree escape charge that authorities filed after the defendant left a hospital room after his arrest.

http://blog.al.com/live/2012/10/judg..._argument.html

Hughes argued that 18 is an arbitrary line, noting that his client was just four months past his 18th birthday on the day of the crime.

“He’s just barely in the range where death is even an option,” he told Graddick.
    Imagine the damage Horton would have done had he not been caught!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information