Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Faith positions regarding the Death Penalty

Senior Member Frequent Poster elsie's Avatar
    The same as a death bed confession. Doesn't that stand in a court of law or do I watch to much Law and Order?

As a former Roman Catholic, I can speak to the problem that The Vatican faces. (BTW KindExecutioner, I realize your asking me what my religion is was out of good intention. That said, what affects me in social issues - including the DP - is my conscience. The faith to which I belong encourages free will and free thought. It is an ancient faith but as to its name, it's not important insofar as I do not wish to muddy the waters in this thread. If you would like to discuss this in PM, I would gladly answer).

Okay, back to The Vatican and the DP. The Roman Catholic Church had for almost two millenia been officially in favor of the death penalty. The Cathechism however has been changed in that the Church now recognizes the state's use of the DP in the gravest of cases and additionally, when the safety of society against a convicted killer cannot be guranteed by the state. [N.B. "state" in this sense means government]. What has become problematic for Roman Catholics is the sense of the sanctity of life. American Bishops have called for The Vatican to take an official stance against the death penalty but, relations between the Bishops and the Vatican have been rocky of late over a number of issues. While the Roman church is in no danger of schism at this point as is occurring in Anglicanism, there is a sense among American Roman Catholics that The Vatican is out of touch over many issues. As many of you are well aware, the Roman church has long stood opposed to abortion. In fact, the death penalty really received very little attention until quite recently as Heidi's post stated. Furthermore, the Church's own history is problematic in that it sanctioned the torture and execution of tens of thousands during the Spanish Inquisition. The Church faces a thorny problem then because it would need to first apologize for the Spanish Inquisition officially. This is problematic obviously because it means reversing a horror it sanctioned. I hasten to add folks that I am not anti-Roman Catholic. This post is concerned with historical fact.

There is no indication that Pope Benedict XVI will make any official change in the Church's position. Ironically, Pope Benedict XVI was, as Cardinal Ratzinger, the head of the Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith. This office was formed during - you guessed it - the Inquisition. The following sentences are purely speculation. When Pope John Paul II passed, there were many younger cardinals who were favored to win election to the Throne of St. Peter. Chief among them was Cardinal Arinze. Many Vatican followers have speculated that the election of Ratzinger was the safer way to go since it was believed that Ratzinger, who was essentially the Pope's right hand man, would not stray far from his predecessor's legacy. It's important to note here that speculation is appropriate here as cardinals are forbidden to discuss papal elections. Due to Benedict's advanced age it will be interesting to see the direction the Roman church takes. I would hazard a guess that if a more liberal cardinal is elected Pope then the Roman Catholic Church may call for the abolition of the DP. The anti-DP voice is growing stronger in the more liberal countries where Catholicism is present. Whoever is elected next will have to deal with the DP, celibacy, contraceptive use, and plethora of other issues. Also, the words and writings of Pope John Paul II - who is on the road to sainthood - resonate with many Catholics and indeed many mainline non-Catholic Christians. Evangelium Vitae stresses the sanctity of life from birth to natural death. Again, conmjecture here, but, if the next Pope decides to change the Church's stance to abolition, he will have the words of a very beloved Pope to back him up.

Also, the death penalty is not so much a controversial issue in the Church as is abortion or the ordination of women to the priesthood.; on those issues you will not see the Catholic Church change its position, especially on abortion, or the ordination of women.

One last thought: The Papacy is politically an absolute monarchy. No matter what the numbers may say in terms of lay Catholic position on the DP may reveal, the Pope can make doctrinal changes through what is known as a Papal Bull. [N.B.: The preceding has nothing to do however with the concept of papal infallibity. It is a concept that is very misunderstood, and this is not the place to discuss it. But for trivia buffs, it was only invoked one - in 1871].

Best,
    Vlad

Do Christians Support the Death Penalty? Poll Finds Big Generational Divide

The death penalty is a contentious issue with multiple layers that collide to create a complicated picture, especially when it comes to public perception. Among the religious, demographics and theology further complicate the stances that the masses have on executions.

In analyzing recent data from the Barna Group, a research firm that assesses issues pertaining to faith, Religion News Services’ Jonathan Merritt noted that there is a big generational difference when it comes to Christians’ views on capital punishment.

When asked if “the government should have the option to execute the worst criminals,” only 32 percent of self-identified Christian millennials (individuals born between 1980 and 2000), answered affirmatively. This compares to 42 percent of self-identified Christian boomers (those born between 1946 and 1964).

But the divide grew even larger among the cohorts when Barna analyzed the views of “practicing Christians.” These are individuals who said that faith is very important in their lives and who attended church at least once in the month leading up to the data collection last summer, Merritt noted.

The gap in this case grew from nearly half of practicing Christian boomers supporting the death penalty verses only 23 percent of practicing Christian millennials.

This may all be part of the changing trends involving the public’s views on capital punishment. In the mid 1990s, Gallup found that 80 percent of the general public favored the death penalty for those convicted of murder, while only 16 percent opposed this punishment.

The latest data shows, though, that while 60 percent currently support this, 35 percent do not. The historical trend is below:

It’s likely these changes in the general public carry through to Christians as well, though believers are also tasked with asking how Jesus — the centerpiece of the faith — would see capital punishment. Barna found that only five percent of Americans believe Jesus would support the death penalty.

The Barna Group’s results are based on a survey of 1,000 American adults and have a margin of error of plus or minus 2.6 percentage points.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...ng-christians/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Who cares? Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out... When someone like Tony Campbell violently murders someone like my sister, Jo Eaton, its egregiousness and heinousness are immediately sadly evident. I AM AGAINST MURDER and that is why, I AM FOR CAPITAL PUNISHMENT. Please join me in supporting justice, dealt promptly and heavily, to this piece of trash, whose ego was more valuable than life.
    gofundme.com/ahu8f4 is the site Jo's eldest son, Dink, put together to assist the four, younger children, as their Father now extemporaneously inherits the duty of being a full time worker, and full time father.
    See the truth about it: http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...8146#post68146

Passed away.
    To Blackadder and others, we will not be arguing with victims family members on this board. This is your, and everybody's final warning.

You guys know I think the bible is fiction but there is plenty of support for executions in the bible! That's why I can't believe it when clergy say they are against it!

Libtard garbage. Enough said.

There are TONS of executions in the bible so any Christian is being very hypocritical by saying the DP is very un-Christian!

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindExecutioner View Post
    You guys know I think the bible is fiction but there is plenty of support for executions in the bible! That's why I can't believe it when clergy say they are against it!
    The greatest story ever told.

I agree in a way it is the greatest story every told. A FICTIONAL story. Keep in mind for centuries people were FORCED to believe this story or bribed into believing it. I have even spoken to clergy who admit the bible is FAITH and not FACT and cannot show it is any more real than any other religion's scripture!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information