Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Us Carnell Petetan, Jr. - Texas

I hope he realizes he just ruined any chance of him avoiding the death penalty at his resentencing.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Former death row inmate indicted on second-degree aggravated assault in altercation with fellow inmate

By Tommy Witherspoon
    KWTX News

WACO, Texas (KWTX) - A McLennan County grand jury indicted former death row inmate US Carnell Petetan Jr. Wednesday on charges he slashed another McLennan County Jail inmate’s neck with a razor blade.

Petetan was sentenced to death by lethal injection in 2014 after a 19th State District Court jury convicted him of capital murder in the 2012 death of his estranged wife. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals vacated his death sentence in May 2021 and Petetan was returned to the McLennan County Jail to await a new sentencing trial in July 2021.

The grand jury indicted Petetan, 46, on a second-degree felony aggravated assault charge in a Jan. 5 incident at the jail in which he reportedly cut jail inmate Courtney Deshun Gibson during an altercation that was captured on jail surveillance video.

An arrest affidavit alleges that Petetan and Gibson had “issues” and that Petetan sliced Gibson’s neck and right cheek with a razor blade. Gibson’s injuries did not require hospitalization, according to the affidavit.

The Court of Criminal Appeals did not overturn Petetan’s capital murder conviction. However, his trial attorneys offered evidence of Petetan’s IQ and neurological problems that their expert witnesses said made Petetan intellectually disabled and ineligible for the death penalty.

Prosecutors presented witnesses to rebut Petetan’s intellectual disability claim. But the Court of Criminal Appeals ruled “the jury’s rejection of Petetan’s affirmative defense of intellectual disability was against the greater weight and preponderance of the evidence,” and the court set aside his death sentence.

Petetan, a Port Arthur native, was convicted of breaking into his estranged wife’s Lake Shore Drive apartment and shooting her in front of her daughter and two men who rode from South Texas with him in September 2012.

Judge Thomas West has an Aug. 18 status conference set in Petetan’s case. No trial date is set.

https://www.kwtx.com/2022/08/04/form...fellow-inmate/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Hopefully this incident results in another death sentence. He’s a danger to everyone around him.

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

March 11, 2023

New sentencing hearing for convicted killer

By Dean Wetherbee
    FOX 44

McLENNAN COUNTY, Texas – A new sentencing hearing for convicted killer US Carnell Petetan, Jr. will take place on December 4, 2023.

A jury convicted Petetan, Jr. of capital murder for the September 2012 shooting death of his wife Kimberly Petetan, who was shot twice in front of her nine-year-old daughter.

The two got married in 2010 after they became pen pals while he was serving a 20-year sentence for attempted murder. Petetan, Jr. was sentenced to death, but the Court of Criminal Appeals dismissed this penalty and ordered a new hearing.

https://www.fox44news.com/news/local...victed-killer/

The death penalty is being sought again

https://mclennan.edoctec.com/McLenna....aspx?id=39317

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Habeas petition DENIED by the TCCA, with written order.

https://search.txcourts.gov/SearchMe...f-701e664ea6fc

Petetan gets life for 2012 Waco murder after death sentence overturned

By Matt Kyle
    Waco Tribune-Herald

Carnell Petetan Jr. was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without parole for the 2012 murder of his estranged wife in Waco, after the death sentence he received at trial in 2014 was tossed out.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals overturned the death sentence in 2021, ruling the jury that handed down the sentence did not have enough evidence to establish that Petetan is not intellectually disabled. The ruling left Petetan's capital murder conviction in place but prompted the new punishment hearing Thursday.

Petetan, 46, was initially charged in 2012 with the murder of Kimberly Farr Petetan, 41, who was Petetan's estranged wife. The Tribune-Herald reported at the time that the two had met as pen pals while Petetan was serving a 20-year prison sentence for attempted murder and aggravated assault, and they and married in 2010 while he was imprisoned. He was released from prison in May 2012 and moved in with her in Waco, but repeated fights soured their relationship, causing him to move back to his hometown of Port Arthur.

Petetan was convicted of murdering Kimberly Petetan on Sept. 23, 2012, when he also kidnapped her 9-year-old daughter after he burst into her apartment and demanded she drop domestic abuse charges against him in Jefferson County. Testimony from the trial revealed Petetan shot her in front of her daughter and two of his friends before fleeing and later being arrested in Bryan.

During the trial, Petetan testified one of the friends was the killer, but testimony from the two friends and Kimberly Petetan's young daughter implicated Petetan. He was convicted of capital murder on April 21, 2014, and sentenced to death a week later.

Before the trial, Petetan was found competent to stand trial after Petetan and his lawyers claimed he was intellectually disabled. However, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, the state's highest criminal court, overturned the sentence in May 2021, ruling “the jury’s rejection of Petetan’s affirmative defense of intellectual disability was against the great weight and preponderance of the evidence.”

A press release Thursday from the McLennan County District Attorney's Office says evidence from Petetan's school and juvenile records indicate a possible intellectual disability. A neuropsychologist retained by Petetan's attorneys ruled he is disabled, while a different neuropsychologist retained by the DA's office could not rule out the disability, according to the press release.

Since the disability could not be disproven, prosecutors elected not to pursue another death sentence and instead sought a sentence of life in prison without parole, the only other sentence for a conviction of capital murder. The press release says prosecutors wanted to avoid another lengthy trial and many years of appeals.

Kimberly Petetan's daughter, now 20 years old, took the stand Thursday in Waco's 19th State District Court to give a victim impact statement. She cried and looked Petetan head-on as she described how her mother's murder changed the trajectory of her life and made her into a strong woman.

The daughter said she has wanted to say many things to Petetan over the years, and said God delivered justice when Petetan was originally convicted and sentenced for her mother's murder. She said she was a scared and confused little girl when she witnessed Petetan gun down her mother and kidnap her.

"Regardless of what the IQ test says, God holds the truth," she said.

She also said Petetan was undeserving of the second chance at life he received when he was released from prison in 2012. Petetan was originally convicted on the attempted murder and assault charges when he was 16.

"On behalf of my mother, you never deserved the love she gave or the second chance you received," she said.

The daughter said she has prayed for Petetan in the 11 years since the murder. She said she has forgiven him and will continue to pray for him. As she said this, Petetan broke down in tears and said "I didn't kill her," before being quieted by one of his attorneys.

Finishing her statement, the daughter looked Petetan head-on as she declared "I forgive you."

Petetan was represented by attorneys Jim Young and Darla Davis. First assistant DA Ryan Calvert was the prosecutor for the state.

In a statement, McLennan County DA Josh Tetens said the DA's office is grateful Petetan will never be free again.

"Despite Carnell Petetan's decades of violence and murder, the law forbids a death sentence for anyone who is intellectually disabled," Tetens said. "While the evidence does not support seeking another death sentence for Petetan, we are grateful this monster will never again breathe fresh air."

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/crim...30d0261af.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Re-sentenced to life without parole on 10/19/23.

https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/death_row...ger_on_dr.html
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information