Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yemen

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Awesome! I wish we had half the enthusiasm here in the USA.

Concern over Bahai' followers trial by Yemen rebels

The leader of the rebel Houthi movement has denounced the Baha'i faith as "satanic"

bbc.com

Concerns are growing over the fate of more than 20 followers of the minority Baha'i faith in Yemen put on trial by the rebel Houthi movement.

The Baha'i community says they are accused of espionage and apostasy, describing the charges as "baseless".

Right activists say the Baha'is have faced increasing threats in Yemen in areas run by the Houthis, whose leader says their religion is "satanic".

The Baha'i faith accepts all religions as having true and valid origins.

The Baha'i followers are being tried by a judge in Sanaa who sentenced a Baha'i man to death last January, the Baha'i International Community says.

It says they were "falsely and maliciously accused under absurd pretexts".

It adds that the judge sentenced three other individuals to death before hearing the Baha'is' case.

The Baha'i Community in the UK initially stated that the three people sentenced to death were Baha'i followers.

The Houthi movement has so far made no public comments on the issue.

The Baha'i faith was founded in Iran in the mid-19th Century by Mirza Husayn Ali, a man known as "Baha'ullah" ("Glory of God").

Today, there are an estimated five million Baha'is worldwide. There are only a few thousand in Yemen, where 99% of the 27 million population is Muslim.

The Houthi movement has cracked down on Baha'is since its supporters drove the Western-backed government of President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi out of the capital Sanaa and seized control of much of western Yemen in 2015.

The UN has said Bahai's living in rebel territory have faced a "persistent pattern of persecution", including harassment and arbitrary detention.

In January, UN human rights experts urged the Houthi-led authorities to annul a death sentence handed down against a Baha'i man, Hamid Kamali bin Haydara, who was accused of "compromising the independence of the Republic of Yemen" and spreading the Baha'i faith in the country.

A number of trials against Mr bin Haydara, including the one during which the death sentence was imposed, took place without him being present, and his lawyer was not given the opportunity to contest the evidence presented against him.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45709322

A bullet in the back for raping a boy: Two paedophiles, 28 and 31, are publicly executed in Yemen for raping and murdering a 12-year-old

By Sara Malm For Mailonline
    Daily Mail UK

Yemen has executed two men for abducting, raping and murdering a 12-year-old boy by shooting them in public.

Wadah Refat, 28, and Mohamed Khaled, 31, had been convicted of raping and murdering a boy named Mohamed Saad in May last year.

Hundreds had gathered in the port city of Aden on Thursday to watch the men get shot dead in front of the baying crowd.

The boy had been playing next to a house where one of them lived, when the pair set upon him, dragged him into the home and raped him.

'After the rape, they could not silence the cries of the child, who begged for help, so one of them grabbed a knife and slit his throat,' court documents seen by El Mundo states.

A 33-year-old woman has also been sentenced to death for helping Refat and Khaled dismember the boy's body.

Her execution has been postponed as she is pregnant, according to the website.

Yemen has one of the highest execution rates per capita in the world, and shooting is the most common method.

Islamic Sharia law is applied in the country and a number of crimes are punishable by death, including murder, rape and terrorism.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-old-boy.html

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Excellent news. Way to go Yemen!

Indian nurse gets death penalty for murdering, chopping body of Yemeni man

The death sentence of an Indian nurse who killed a Yemeni national in 2014, was upheld by a court in Yemen. The woman, Nimishapriya from Kerala, was found guilty of murdering Talal Abdu Mahdi, chopping his body into several parts and stuffing them in sacks, before dumping them in a water tank above their house in Al Deydh. Another nurse, who helped her with the murder, was sentenced to imprisonment for life.

The crime came to light as local residents complained of a foul smell emanating from the water tank. However, Nimisha who hails from Kollengode in Palakkad district had said that she had been forced to kill the man as she could not stand his torture anymore.

In 2018, before her death sentence was pronounced, Nimisha had written a letter to the Kerala government saying that she was being tortured by Talal and therefore, had to resort to murder. In the letter, Nimisha said that Talal, with whom she had started a clinic in 2014, had forged a marriage certificate to claim that she was his wife. She alleged that he used to pocket all revenue from its operations, and also defrauded her, besides physically threatening and sexually assaulting her, according to reports. She also said that he seized her passport and was not allowing her to leave.

Nimisha had first married a man named Tomy Thomas in June 2011 and the two of them travelled to Yemen. Later, the husband and the couple's child returned to Kerala.

In 2018, following the intervention of Kerala government and India's Ministry of External Affairs, a lawyer was appointed by the Indian Embassy. The Kerala government had sought for a pardon. It was also around this time that she was shifted out of the Al Bayda jail, which is meant for death row prisoners, and lodged in a jail in Yemen’s capital.

The family of the deceased had asked for Rs 70 lakh to pardon her. Media reports suggest that Nimisha was not in touch with her family back in India for the last few years.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...eni-man-131127
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Houthis denounced for sentencing two activists to death

ALEXANDRIA: Yemeni government officials, human rights activists and journalists have condemned a Houthi-run court’s decision to sentence two Yemeni activists to death, accusing the rebels of using the judiciary in areas under their control to punish dissidents.

On Tuesday, a Houthi-run court ordered that Zafaran Zaid, a Yemeni human rights activist and lawyer, and her husband and fellow activist Fuad Al-Mansouri be executed by firing squad. The two were tried in absentia.

Zaid, head of the Yemeni Women’s Empowerment Foundation (Tamkeen), has exposed a number of human rights abuses by the Houthis. Al-Mansouri is the head of the Development Media Association and an outspoken critic of the Houthis. His brother, the journalist Tawfiq Al-Mansouri, was abducted by the Houthis in 2015 and sentenced to death in 2020.

The court found the couple guilty of smuggling Buthaina Mohammed Al-Raimia — the Yemeni child injured in an errant airstrike by the Arab coalition in 2017 — to Riyadh.

The child was sent to Riyadh by the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center, where she received life-saving medical treatment. Once she was fully recovered, she was returned to her family in northern Yemen.

Ahmed Arman, Yemen’s minister of legal affairs and human rights, told Arab News on Thursday that the Houthis are using the judicial bodies in areas under their control to “settle scores” with their opponents and to confiscate their property.

“The ministry renews its strong condemnation and denunciation of all immoral and inhumane practices used by the Houthis against citizens in areas under their control and calls on the international and regional community to provide support to the Yemeni government and help it restore its authority over all Yemeni territories,” Arman said.

He added that Houthi-controlled courts have issued similar death sentences against hundreds of Yemeni activists, military and security officials, politicians and journalists for challenging their rule and backing the Yemeni government and Arab coalition.

“The Houthis continue to use so-called judicial authority in areas under their control to seek vengeance on Yemenis,” Arman said.

Yemeni activists and rights groups echoed Arman’s concerns about the Houthis’ escalating crackdown on dissidents at a time when regional and international mediators are pressuring the rebels to agree to a peace initiative brokered by the UN to end the war.

“The Houthis have become violent and oppressive towards Yemeni women — employing all methods of intimidation against them. What is happening is a flagrant violation of human rights,” Noora Al-Jarwi, a Yemeni activist, said.

The Geneva-based SAM Organization for Rights and Liberties demanded the Houthis put an end to their “farcical” death-sentence rulings.

“SAM emphasizes that such rulings seriously violate a set of basic rights guaranteed by both Yemeni and international law,” the organization tweeted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ara...de/1878506/amp
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

16 June 2021

Houthi's Execute Three Child Killers in Public

By GEORGIA SIMCOX FOR MAILONLINE
    AFP

Three Yemeni men have been put to death in public in the country's rebel-held capital after being convicted of murdering children.

Ali al-Naami, 40, Abdullah Al-Makhali, 38, and Mohammed Arman, 33, were dressed in blue prison jumpsuits as they were led to Tahrir Square in Sana'a on Wednesday.

The men were then forced to lie face-down before being shot in the back by an executioner in green army fatigues and black gloves. Their bodies were then rapped up in red rugs and carried away.

In one image, a security guard can be seen grinning as the executioner put an AK-47 to a prisoner's back in front of hundreds of spectators.

It was Sana'a's first public execution since August 2018, when the Iran-backed rebels shot three men and hung their bodies from a crane for raping and killing a child.

Yemen has been embroiled in a civil war since 2014, when the Houthis swept across much of the north and seized the capital, forcing the country's Saudi-backed government into exile.

A Saudi-led coalition entered the conflict the following year to try and weaken the Houthis and drive them out of the capital.

The war has killed more than 130,000 people in Yemen and spawned the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

In March, Saudi Arabia offered a cease-fire proposal to the Houthis in an attempt to halt the war, but fighting has continued to rage around the city of Marib as the rebels push to capture the city and complete their control over the northern half of the country.

The Iran-backed rebels have made much of their crime-fighting efforts in areas under the control, which include most of the north of country.

Those executed on Wednesday had been convicted of particularly heinous crimes.

Abdullah Ali al-Mukhali and Mohammed Arman, had been convicted of raping and killing an eight-year-old boy.

Al-Naami was convicted of murdering his three daughters Rahaf, seven, Raghad, 12, and Malak, 14, in June 2019.

He had admitted to strangling his daughters and drowning them in a water tank after the mother left the house due to domestic disputes with him.

In pictures from the execution, he could be seen kneeling on the carpet before placing his forehead to the floor.

After the execution, al-Naami was wrapped in a carpet and soldiers carried him out of the square.

Spectators could be seen filming the executions on their mobile phones and video cameras.

In another image, two medics could be seen checking on a prisoner, with one placing a hand on his shoulder and the other, wearing a stethoscope around his neck, holding a pen.

Al-Makhali and Arman were convicted of raping and murdering a boy Mohammed al-Haddad before they were shot dead in the public square.

Soldiers stood guard and another soldier was pictured placing Al-Makhali at the spot of his execution.

Soldiers then wrapped their bodies in white cloths and carried them out of the square.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ner-Yemen.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Abdul Malik Al Houthi is sentenced to hang or firing squad. One of multiple Arab countries who carries out death sentences. Yemen forgoes appeals and intentionally would carry out a death sentence within 2 years.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

I remember when Mohammad Ahman al-Nazari was convicted for the Sana’a School Shooting, they executed him by public firing squad a week after conviction. They were then going to publicly crucify his corpse but instead local citizens were allowed to beat the corpse and burn it in the streets
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Empty poser sentence. This move by the Saudi puppet government is absolutely empty since they have none of these people in custody and didn't hold a trial for any of them. Also torpedo's any chance of a peace deal.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information