Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pro-against DP...is there a third option?

pro-against DP...is there a third option?

Hi to everybody,
    I am Alessandra from Italy. I am here to learn and understand more about DP, because I feel very confused about the issue.
    I lived in Florida for 2 years, 10 years ago and when I got to know about DP and visit inmates on death row in Raiford I felt I counldn.'t be other than against.
    I stood in front of the prison in Starke, singing and praying with many members of a couple of associations against DP during Mr.Amos King's execution. They were moments of real pain thinking about the lives he took (someone suggested he was innocent) and his life to be taken.

I am going to read every story in this forum in order to be able to feel more confortable whichever side of this issue I will decide to support.

Thank you Heidi for helping me to join this forum.
    Have a great day
    Alessandra

No problem Alessandra, and welcome to the site.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Hi, Alessandra! Welcome to the site!

As to your doubts about ever using capital punishment. How would you punish an inmate serving a sentence of life without parole who commits another murder inside prison, while on the lam or who orders another murder to take place outside of prison? Should such an individual get another life sentence, which would effectively be meaningless? Should such a person have a virtual license to kill?

Welcome Alessandra. What would a 3rd option be? Neutral?

hi everybody!
    I know there can't be any third option and that life sentence with no parole could be a "dangerous" solution. In fact I have no idea about it. Sometimes I feel a life sentence with every restrictions as the former Warden in Raiford soggested could be even worse than a lethal injection. My point are...why execute criminals, real ones, after decades? I could understand right away, after a fair and decisive trial but not after 20 or 30 or more years. It is like they have already paid for their crime...kind of...
    And... are we sure to the end that every inmate going to the death chamber is really guilty? A statistic is not enough to avoid a crime perpetreted by the State. As unexcusable as it can be! And what about the "law of parties" that many opponents the DP are talking about?...
    Have you ever listened to the words, spoken by Jeremy Irons about DP...They make me doubt a lot.
    I know you will scream now...but visiting inmates on death row years a go, I got to meet Robert Waterhouse and his wife Fran, Oskar Bolin and his wife Rosalie Martinez and Pablo Ilbar and his wife Tania... and also Michael Mordenti, released form death row and Juan Melendez, also released... That is why I feel confused.
    Please, can you explain me through what way you become pro? Everything started with one of John Grisham's books "The chamber"... now I need to handle with this issue. Thank you.

I agree 20 to 30 years is too long but they still have to pay for their crime. It takes a long time to ensure there is a fair appeals process.

Senior Member Frequent Poster elsie's Avatar
    No screaming. Why don't we just sit around and sing Kum bay ya?

Sorry I do not get the meaning of your invitation elsie. Ironic?
    So Executioner that's the point: if it takes that long to ensure a fair appeals process, they may no longer be the evil people who committed the crimes they have been sent to death for, decades before. So... they may no longer deserve to die for it. And taking the whole process that long to close a case with a death sentence, what kind of deterrence effect can you ever get from it? When I was in Winter Park, I felt nobody was aware of anything taking place in that prison. Just a short info on TV and that was it. I mean, over being or not a fair punishment for such hinous crimes, what else should DP be to be necessary? After 20 or 30 years, we may not execute the "right" man.
    Isn't the issue also a philosophic topic?

Not every state is as slow to execute as Florida and California. In Texas and Virginia the average time on death row is less than 10 years. And...In my opinion it doesn't matter what "person" the inmate has become while awaiting execution. Death is their sentence it should be carried out.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Not every state is as slow to execute as Florida and California. In Texas and Virginia the average time on death row is less than 10 years. And...In my opinion it doesn't matter what "person" the inmate has become while awaiting execution. Death is their sentence it should be carried out.
    RIGHT ON! The duration of time does not absolve guilt! Unless they can magically raise the person or people they killed from the dead the sentence should be carried out!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information