Page 20 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Murders Abroad

Luke Harwood death: Three guilty of playing field murder

Two men and a woman have been found guilty of the murder of a teenager whose mutilated body was found in a playing field in east London.

Luke Harwood, 18, from Havering, was found near Broadmead Fields in Woodford Green in May last year.

The teenager had been beaten after an 18-year-old woman accused him of rape, the Old Bailey jury heard.

Emma Hall, 21, James Danby, 27, and Tony O'Toole, 30, all from Romford, had denied murder.

Following the verdicts, Mr Harwood's family said: "He was so young and had so much life left to live.

"He should still be alive to share his life with us and to be a father to his son, as well as his daughter whom he never met.

"Instead he was falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit and killed in the most violent way."

The court heard the 18-year-old woman who accused the victim of rape had reported it to the police but she later withdrew the complaint.

The jury heard that while visiting friends in Romford, the teenager, who had gone there with Hall, found Mr Harwood staying at the house.

The victim was "severely" beaten before Hall drove O'Toole, Danby and Mr Harwood to a location near a stream where the victim could be "finished off", the court was told.

Simon Denison QC, prosecuting, told the trial: "They killed him by punching and kicking him and stamping on his head many, many times."

His body was dumped at the location. The killers then bought petrol and set fire to their clothes and cleaned the house.

The following day Hall drove the two other killers and another man to the location where they had hidden Mr Harwood's body under rubbish.

Mr Denison said: "They had with them knives and a pair of bolt-cutters that they were intending to use to mutilate his body to make it more difficult for him to be identified by cutting off his fingers and removing his teeth."

But Hall had secretly tipped off the police who were waiting at the location where the body was hidden, the jury heard.

Hall and Danby were also found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and perverting the course of justice while O'Toole was also found guilty of perverting the course of justice and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, along with Danby.

Billy Duggan, 21, was found guilty of perverting the course of justice and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

The jury cleared Jovan Roberts, 28, of murder and causing grievous bodily harm with intent, while Khalid Hassan, 20, was found not guilty of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. They were discharged.

Following the verdict, Detective Chief Inspector John Sandlin said: "The attack on Luke Harwood was unbelievably violent. The injuries he suffered were horrific, his face was unrecognisable.

"The defendants acted in the belief that the victim had previously attacked one of their number. The woman involved was in no way to blame for the extreme and sustained attack that they then carried out and subsequently tried to cover up: she could not have predicted what would happen."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22062516

These offenders are to be sentenced next Wednesday (April 24) by Judge Paul Worsley QC at the Central Criminal Court (colloquially known as the "Old Bailey"). James Danby is clearly the ringleader in this murder and should receive a minimum term of 30 years, if not slightly more.
    "I have adopted the Italian way of life... I may stab you!"
    — Heidi

"You make the British Lion seem like a declawed, toothless, neutered fat tabby with the mange."
    — Weidmann1939

"Maybe you think your being clever."
    — Weidmann1939

Convicted killer Norman Carlton guilty of Stewart Gillespie murder

A convicted killer has been found guilty of murdering his ex-girlfriend's father and attempting to murder the woman's ex-partner in Renfrewshire.

Norman Carlton, 28, fatally stabbed 53-year-old Stewart Gillespie - who was a convicted murderer and gangland figure - at a flat in Paisley in October 2012.

He was also found guilty of stabbing 32-year-old Robert Lawther.

Carlton, who was jailed for culpable homicide in 2001, will be sentenced next month.

The trial at the High Court in Glasgow heard how Carlton had lost control after being ignored by his ex-girlfriend Natalie Gillespie, 31, the daughter of his victim.

He was said to have grabbed Mr Gillespie by the neck and stabbed him to death.

Mr Lawther told the court he had tried to pull Carlton away and was stabbed on the groin and fell to the floor.

Carlton denied the charges and lodged special defences of self defence claiming he was attacked with the knife and fought back with it because he was "scared."

The jury did not believe him, however, and convicted him of murder and attempted murder.

Carlton now faces a mandatory life sentence when he is sentenced next month.

It emerged after his conviction that the 28-year-old was jailed for eight years in 2001 after he admitted killing Patrick Brady, 34, at a flat in Paisley.

He was originally charged with murdering the father-of-three but the Crown accepted a guilty plea to the lesser offence of culpable homicide.

Last year he appeared at Paisley Sheriff Court after terrorising his mother in her home and was made subject to a community order with the condition of carrying out 160 hours of unpaid work.

Carlton's victim Stewart Gillespie was jailed for life in 1996 for the gangland shooting of rival drug dealer Mark Rennie and released in 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-22188902

This would result in a minimum term of around 35 years in England (indeed, had he been convicted of the murder of Patrick Brady, rather than his manslaughter, a whole-life sentence would be inevitable). Scottish law, as I never tire in saying, is somewhat more lenient.
    — Heidi

"You make the British Lion seem like a declawed, toothless, neutered fat tabby with the mange."
    — Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

Raymond Wodehouse jailed for life for Gerry Dobbin murder

A man has been jailed for life after being convicted of murder over a fatal stabbing in Glasgow.

Raymond Wodehouse, 27, attacked 25-year-old Gerry Dobbin at a property in Old Rutherglen Road, in the city's Gorbals area, in February last year.

He was free on licence at the time, having been jailed for four years in 2009 for assault and attempted robbery.

At the High Court in Glasgow, Wodehouse was told he must serve a minimum of 16 years before being eligible to apply for parole.

It emerged after Wodehouse's conviction that he was also jailed for four years in 2003 for assault before receiving a two year sentence for drug offences months later.

Jailing him, Lord Boyd said it was clear the he had a "propensity for violence."

As Wodehouse was being led to the cells, some of Mr Dobbin's relatives and friends shouted "bye bye."

Wodehouse shouted "easy peasy" as he prepared to begin his life sentence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-22217641
    — Heidi

— Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

Body in boot murder: 'Possessive' John Yates jailed for life

A man who murdered his wife and drove her body to a north Wales police station has been jailed for life.

John Yates, 58, beat his estranged wife Barbara, 49, in Warrington in July last year before giving himself up to police in St Asaph, Denbighshire.

Sentencing him, the judge at Caernarfon Crown Court told Yates he was "possessive and violent."

He was told he must serve a minimum of 18 years in prison before he can even be considered for release.

Yates was convicted of murder in February after a trial.

During his trial, the jury head that Yates had subjected his wife to 30 years of domestic abuse, leading to the fatal attack.

Yates had admitted killing his wife but denied it was murder.

But he was convicted following a week-long trial in which the jury heard that Yates was a controlling, jealous and violent husband, who had first been convicted of assaulting his wife in 1982.

Mrs Yates finally tried to break free of the abusive relationship in 2009 when she moved out of the family home in the Padgate area of Warrington.

But Yates remained in close contact with his wife, and the violence continued.

By the beginning of 2012, Yates had become "a bitter and vengeful man", the trial heard.

Following an argument on 18 July, Yates drove his wife to a secluded farmer's field and launched a furious attack on her, headbutting her and strangling her.

He continued the attack until she died, and then put her body in the boot of his Peugeot 306 estate car, covering the body with a tarpaulin.

Yates then drove to north Wales, before handing himself over at the North Wales Police traffic base at St Asaph.

He told officers: "I've killed my wife. I've just had enough. I've got mental health issues. She is in the back of the car."

Jailing him for life at Caernarfon, Judge Merfyn Hughes QC said Yates had carried out a "brutal and sustained" attack on his wife.

"From the outset you behaved in a possessive and violent manner towards her," said the judge.

"Your killing of her was premeditated and had been in your mind for some weeks prior to her death."

Speaking after the sentencing, Barbara Yates' sister Angela Hyland said: "I hope he dies in prison. He was very possessive, selfish, controlling and jealous.

"If he couldn't have her, he wouldn't let anyone else have Barbara. She was living a life of fear."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-22224275

Yates was convicted of murder on February 27 and was scheduled to be sentenced March 20; I have no idea what postponed sentencing until now. My understanding of the case was that the murder was not premeditated, although the judge's sentencing remarks say it was. If there was little or no premeditation then the 18-year minimum term is entirely appropriate, but if the killing had been "in [his] mind for some weeks prior to her death" then it probably isn't. Judge Hughes is not known for his leniency so he must have some rational basis for alighting on a minimum term of 18 years.
    — Heidi

— Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

While admittedly absolutely nothing to do with murder, this is another one of those "putting-the-Philpott-case-in-perspective" posts:

Sunderland man jailed for 16 years for sexual relationship with underage girl

A man who conducted a sexual relationship with an underage teenage girl for 14 months was today (Friday April 19) jailed for 16 years.

David Waller, who continues to protest his innocence, was branded "arrogant and self-centered" by the sentencing judge.

Durham Crown Court heard that he told the girl the intimate consensual relationship was "not just sex", but "making love".

The court heard that he bought the girl alcoholic drinks and gave her cigarettes before they had sex at various locations across the North East, including in a Teesdale caravan, a rented flat in Chester-le-Street, in a car outside St Peter's Church, in Monkwearmouth, Sunderland, and in an Asda store car park.

He also gave her gifts of money, up to £100.
    [...]
    Passing the lengthy sentence, Judge Christopher Prince told him: "You have shown no empathy for your victim, and no concern about putting her through the ordeal of a trial.

"You are a self-centered, selfish and arrogant man who manipulated this young girl for sexual pleasure."

Judge Prince banned Waller from contacting the girl and ordered him to register as a sex offender, both permanently.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...underage_girl/

This course of criminal activity began when the girl was not quite 13, and he was charged with one count of statutory rape (for which the maximum penalty is life imprisonment) as the issue of consent is immaterial at this age. She turned 13 during this period, and he was consequently charged with a further five counts of consensual sexual activity with a child aged 13 or over (maximum sentence fourteen years imprisonment).

A decent sentence, of course, but he would have got less if he had set fire to her house with her inside!
    — Heidi

— Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

Two arrested after man shot dead in Southampton

A man and woman are being questioned by police tonight after a man was murdered in a dramatic shooting in Southampton today.

Armed police officers and a dog unit closed off part of the city after the victim was shot in a flat in St Mary's.

Residents were told to stay indoors while police hunted the gunman.

The victim died in Southampton General Hospital despite officers' attempts to save him after he was found at the scene in St Mary Street.

Some residents said he had been shot in the head, although that has not been confirmed by police.

In another twist tonight police said that they were also hunting two more suspects in connection with the shooting which happened at about 11am.

A 36-year-old woman and a 41-year-old man have been arrested in connection with the shooting near the scene and are this evening being questioned.

Police said all those involved in the incident were known to each other.

A statement said: "It is believed the individuals involved were all known to each other and this is being treated an isolated incident."

Hampshire Police confirmed they had launched a murder investigation and said the two other suspects did not pose any further threat to the public.

The development comes after officers were called to reports of gun fire at 11am this morning and found a man at a flat in St Mary Street with gunshot wounds.

A police presence was still at the scene of the shooting this evening and a cordon remains in place along the road either side of the block of flats and is likely to remain there for some time.

No-one has been allowed to enter or leave the scene during the day and police would not say whether they had found a weapon.

Earlier, residents told how the streets had been swarming with armed police and police dogs.

They entered the property and a man was brought out on a stretcher, being given CPR by a police officer, witnesses said.

Many residents said they had heard the man had been shot in the head, including one who said he had heard it on a police radio.

Market worker Carl Lowes, 20, from the Holyrood Estate, said police turned up and cordoned off the whole area.

He said: "I asked police what happened and he said someone has been shot in the head.

"They brought out a guy and left in an ambulance.

"One of the policemen was doing CPR.

"They're everywhere at the moment, armed police, dogs and everything."

A 25-year-old resident, who lives in a flat opposite the scene of the shooting, said: "I've heard somebody has been shot in the head.

"I saw the ambulance pull up outside and there were ten difference police vehicles with armed officers and dogs."

One 26-year-old man, who lives on St Mary Street, said: "I noticed police out there with machine guns.

"I came down and spoke to a police officer and he said somebody has been shot in the head in the flat opposite and that no one was allowed in or out of the road for their own safety."

"I didn't hear any shots but saw police inside the flat doing forensics."

Aaron Kempson, 21, said there are lots of armed police officers at the scene between the Best One and Premier Store in St Mary Street.

Witness Mr Kempson said: "It's quite weird, you do not expect this sort of thing on your own door step.

"It's like something off the news and not something you expect to happen round here."

Anyone with information should contact the Hampshire Police Major Investigation Team on 101, quoting Operation Emetic.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1036..._dead_in_city/

I've no idea how this could have happened!
    — Heidi

— Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

Bernadette Watt jailed for life for murdering uncle

Bernadette Watt

A 29-year-old woman has been jailed for life for murdering her uncle.

Bernadette Watt, of Vincent Avenue, Sholver, Oldham, stabbed 48-year-old Peter Watt at a house on Coleridge Road, Sholver, on 19 November.

When police were called, a voice could be heard shouting: "He's dead, he's dead. I've killed him, I've killed him, he's dead."

Watt, who was convicted by a jury on Friday, was today ordered to serve a minimum term of 22 years at Manchester Crown Court.

Greater Manchester Police said Mr Watt had been at his brother's house on Coleridge Road with a number of other people drinking on the afternoon and evening before he was killed.

A row had broken out and Mr Watt was stabbed three times.

When officers arrived at the house, he was found lying on the floor, being cradled by his brother, with Bernadette Watt screaming and shouting nearby.

Mr Watt was pronounced dead at the scene and a post-mortem examination later found he died from a single stab wound to the heart.

The senior investigating officer, Detective Superintendent Andrew Tattersall said: "Our thoughts remain with the family of Peter Watt.

"Only Watt knows why she did what she did, and it is clear that she will have to live with that for the rest of her life."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-22245734 (HHJ Gilbart)

She's only 29 years old?!

This article in the Daily Mail claims that Bernadette Watt stabbed the victim after he admitted sexually assaulting Watt's sister when she (the sister) was a teenager. Far be it from me to be soft on convicted murderers, but if that is the case, and if the killing was perpetrated in the heat of the moment (which seems likely), then a minimum term of 22 years may be marginally too high.
    — Heidi

— Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

Dale Cregan trial: Anthony Wilkinson pleads guilty to murdering David Short

One of Dale Cregan's co-defendants has dramatically changed his plea and admitted a gun-and-grenade murder.

Anthony Wilkinson, 33, from Beswick, today pleaded guilty to murdering David Short, 46.

He also admitted possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, namely a Browning 9mm semi-automatic pistol.

Wilkinson continues to deny two other charges and the trial continues.

Short died in a gun-and-grenade attack at his home in Folkestone Road East, Clayton, on August 10 last year.

The Crown say the murder, and the shooting dead of his 23-year-old son Mark in Droylsden's Cotton Tree pub three months earlier, was part of a feud with a rival family, the Atkinsons.

On the 41st day of the trial at Preston Crown Court, Wilkinson's barrister Peter Birkett QC asked that the two counts be put to his client again.

The defendant was invited to stand in the dock and answered 'guilty' when the two charges were read out.

The foreman of the jury was then asked to formally return guilty verdicts on those two charges.

The two charges Wilkinson continues to deny centre on the events at Luke Road in Droylsden some nine minutes after the murder of David Short in Clayton.

The Crown say that Wilkinson, together with Dale Cregan and getaway driver Jermaine Ward, attempted to murder Sharon Hark who was at her home in Luke Road on August 10 and caused an explosion with a hand grenade. He denies the charges.

Cregan, 29, of no fixed abode, and Jermaine Ward, 24, deny murdering David Short, the attempted murder of Sharon Hark and causing an explosion. Cregan also denies murdering Mark Short and three other counts of attempted murder in the Cotton Tree pub. He admits murdering two police officers.

The trial continues.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....kinson-2992291

The trial of these nine defendants began in January at Preston Crown Court before Mr Justice Holroyde and a jury (posted way back on page 5 of this thread). Having admitted the murder of David Short, Wilkinson has guaranteed himself a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment and in these circumstances a minimum term of about 30 years is to be expected. If the jury convicts him of the attempted murder of Sharon Hark, this minimum term is likely to be increased. His guilty plea has been tendered at such a late stage in the trial that it will result in little or no remission of sentence.

A Browning 9mm handgun is a section 5 firearm and possession of such a weapon without lawful authority carries a minimum sentence of five years' imprisonment; possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. I would expect a sentence of around ten to 12 years' imprisonment to follow for a firearms offence of this nature.

The trial is now at quite an advanced stage and should last a further two or three weeks before the jury begins its deliberations. The nine defendants are indicted as follows:

DALE CREGAN (29)

Murder of Nicola Hughes (pleaded guilty)
    Murder of Fiona Bone (pleaded guilty)
    Murder of Mark Short
    Murder of David Short
    Attempted murder of John Collins
    Attempted murder of Ryan Pridding
    Attempted murder of Michael Belcher
    Attempted murder of Sharon Hark
    Causing an explosion (s. 2, Explosive Substances Act 1883)
    Possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life (s. 16, Firearms Act 1968)

LEON ATKINSON (35)

Murder of Mark Short

LUKE LIVESEY (27)

Murder of Mark Short

DAMIAN GORMAN (37)

Murder of Mark Short

RYAN HADFIELD (28)

Murder of Mark Short

MATTHEW JAMES (33)

Murder of Mark Short

ANTHONY WILKINSON (33)

Murder of David Short (pleaded guilty)
    Causing an explosion
    Possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life (pleaded guilty)

FRANCIS DIXON (37)

Murder of David Short
    Causing an explosion

JERMAINE WARD (24)

Murder of David Short
    Causing an explosion

MOHAMMED ALI (23)

Assisting an offender (s. 4, Criminal Law Act 1967)
    — Heidi

— Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

Peter Edward Yorke jailed for life for Christmas Eve murder

A man has been jailed for life for the murder of a woman whose body was found at her home in a County Durham village on Christmas Eve.

Mother of two and grandmother of three Lesley Caile, 48, from North View, Hunwick, near Crook, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Peter Edward Yorke, 46, from North View, pleaded guilty to murder at Newcastle Crown Court.

He received a life sentence and will serve a minimum of 15 years.

Ms Caile was employed by Durham County Council's children's and young people's services department.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Edgar said: "Lesley was a professional lady who was a much respected member of her local community who is very much missed by all who knew her.

"I hope that the sentence given by the judge today provides the time for Peter to reflect on the damage and hurt he has caused."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-22251133 (HHJ Sloan QC)

Yorke entered a plea of guilty this morning at his plea hearing in the Crown Court at Newcastle before Judge Sloan. It is unusual for an offender who pleads guilty to a serious offence to be sentenced immediately, and as the circumstances of the case are unreported I have no basis on which to comment on the adequacy of the minimum term. As he pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity, he would have benefited from a fairly substantial discount and would probably have received a minimum term on the order of 20 to 23 years had he contested the murder charge.
    — Heidi

— Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

Thankfully, the local media have reported in greater detail on Lesley Caile's murder:

A man who stabbed his partner 27 times in a jealous drunken frenzy will serve at least 15 years for her murder.

Leslie Ann Caile – a much-loved grandmother of three - was found dead in her home at Hunwick, near Willington, County Durham, on Christmas Eve.

The 48-year-old social worker had been stabbed repeatedly to the throat, chest and abdomen.

She received a further six slash wounds to her arms and hands as she attempted to shield herself from the deadly blows.

Ms Caile’s partner, Peter Edward Yorke, 46, a former shop manager, pleaded guilty to her murder at Newcastle Crown Court today (Monday, April 22).

He was sentenced to life imprisonment, with a minimum term of 15 years.

Graham Reeds QC, prosecuting, described Yorke as a jealous, deluded and controlling man who was tormented by an unfounded suspicion that Ms Caile was having an affair.

In the weeks leading up to her murder, Yorke had stolen Ms Caile’s phone and sent text messages to a man she had briefly dated before the couple got together in 2011.

Pretending to be Ms Caile, he tried to trick the man into revealing incriminating information to back up his fantasies.

The charade proved fruitless but Yorke remained obsessed by the idea and, on December 23, fuelled by alcohol, he stabbed her to death in their home on North View.

The court heard how Yorke, who has no previous convictions, had been merciless in his attack, pursuing Ms Caile from the kitchen, through to the dining room and into the living room.

Her desperate attempts to escape were also demonstrated by traces of her blood on the front door.

Ms Caile’s son Ryan Caile, 23, discovered her body after breaking into the property the following morning.

Yorke was sitting on the sofa with self-inflicted cuts to his neck and wrists.

His solicitor Martin Bethel QC said Yorke was full of remorse for his actions and had attempted to take his own life.

He said Yorke, who has also written to Ms Caile’s family to apologise, had little recollection of the attack, adding: "It bears all the hallmarks of a frenzy – a short-lived frenzy."

When passing sentence, Judge Paul Sloan said Yorke had carried out a "vicious and merciless attack," adding: "It is clear Lesley Caile was much-loved and highly regarded.

"The loss you have caused and the suffering your actions will continue to cause is incalculable. No sentence I impose could ever extinguish the pain."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new..._knife_attack/

A minimum term of 23 or 24 years would have been entirely appropriate after a trial, which means the 15-year minimum term after a very early guilty plea is also appropriate. His apparent remorse (and written apology to the victim's family), previous clean record and guilty plea all act in mitigation.
    — Heidi

— Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

Page 20 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread Information