Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jake England Sentenced in 2012 OK Random Shootings

Murder, hate crime charges in Tulsa shootings

Oklahoma prosecutors filed murder and hate crime charges Friday against two men arrested in an Easter weekend shooting spree that left three people dead and terrorized Tulsa's black community.

Jake England, 19, and his roommate, Alvin Watts, 33, each are charged with three counts of first-degree murder, two counts of shooting with intent to kill and five counts of malicious harassment. The harassment counts allege the victims were targeted because of their race.

Police say the men, who were arrested early Sunday after a two-day manhunt, appeared to have chosen five victims at random. Three died and two others were wounded. Under state law, first-degree murder is punishable by death or life in prison. Prosecutors said decisions about whether to seek the death penalty are usually made after a preliminary hearing.

"Filing charges is the first step to obtain justice for the victims and their families," said Doug Drummond, Tulsa County First Assistant District Attorney. "This is a tragic and senseless crime. Our office is committed to holding those responsible accountable for their actions."

Court documents say both men confessed, England to shooting three people and Watts to shooting two. All the victims were black and police have said one motive might have been England's desire to avenge his father's fatal shooting by a black man two years ago. Documents do not list an attorney for either man, who a judge ruled Friday will be held without bond. They will be arraigned on the charges Monday.

A probable cause affidavit filed with the charges said anonymous callers to a police department hotline before the men were arrested claimed England was a racist who hated black men and that he "has mentioned he will die in a shoot out with the police if he has to."

England's family and friends have said the death of his father and his girlfriend's January suicide sent the younger England into a downward spiral — he apparently wrote a Facebook post marking the second anniversary of his father's death and lamented that "it's hard not to go off."

England's father, Carl, was fatally shot in 2010 by a black man who had threatened Carl England's daughter. After tracking down Pernell Jefferson, the men fought and Carl England was fatally shot. Jefferson was not charged with homicide because an investigation determined he acted in self-defense.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_1...lsa-shootings/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Tulsa Shooting Spree Suspect Says Killings Weren't About Race

Tulsa Police Department (NEW YORK) -- One of two white Oklahoma men accused of hate crimes in a shooting spree that left three black people dead in Tulsa says in a jailhouse interview that race had nothing to do with the shootings.

Jake England's attorney Clark Brewster, released a seven-minute tape of the interview with his client today, in which the 19-year-old says he has friends who are black. The video was posted by Tulsa TV station KOTV.

"The line of work that I was in and the place I worked, we always got along with everybody," England says in the video. "It didn't matter what color you were."

England and Alvin Watts, 32, have reportedly confessed to carrying out the rampage on April 6 that left three people dead and two others seriously wounded.

The two men were charged Friday with three counts each of first-degree murder, two counts of shooting with intent to kill and five counts of malicious intimidation or harassment.

In the video posted by KOTV, England seems stoic, but his deep voice seems to catch when the lawyer asks him about the violent deaths of his father and girlfriend.

Staring hard into the camera, England describes how his father was killed trying to defend his sister and her two young children from a man trying to break into their home.

He also discusses how his girlfriend, with whom he had a young son, shot herself in the head in front of him and the toddler in January.

Police have said their investigation of the killings included England's racially charged Facebook postings.

The shootings occurred nearly two years to the day after a black man shot England's father, Carl England, to death on April 5, 2010, according to a post from his Facebook. Authorities believe Watts was a friend of England's father.

On April 5 at 4:04 p.m., England wrote, "Today is two years that my dad has been gone shot by a f------ n----- it's hard not to go off between that and sheran I'm gone in the head."

In the interview with his lawyer, England said that statement was directed at the man who killed his father, and not at black people in general.

"It was just to express the way I was upset about the guy who shot my dad," England said. "That's the only time I ever express anything like that about somebody."

According to England's Facebook page, his girlfriend, Sheran Hart Wilde, recently died.

The five victims were shot early April 6 in four separate incidents during a span of less than two hours on the same side of town and not far from one another, police said.

Police identified the deceased victims as Bobby Clark, 54, and William Allen, 31, and Dannaer Fields, 49, the only woman among the victims. There was no connection between the suspects and victims, police said at a news conference on April 8.

Two males were critically wounded in the shooting spree. All of the victims were targeted while they were out walking, and apparently did not know each other.

"We have not been able to find any commonality between the victims other than they were walking on the street," Sgt. Dave Walker of the Tulsa Police Department said.

On the night of April 6, England posted on Facebook, "Chilling at that house people talking s--- on me for some s--- I didn't do ... it just mite be the time to call it quits I I hate to say it like that but I'm done if something does happen tonite be ready for another funeral later."

A series of tips led to the arrests of both men at a house north of Tulsa around 2 a.m. on April 8.

http://www.masoncountydailynews.com/...ent-about-race

Not Guilty Pleas Entered for Men Accused in Tulsa Shootings

A judge entered not guilty pleas Monday for two Oklahoma men accused of going on a racially-motivated shooting spree in a predominantly black section of Tulsa this month, killing three people and wounding two others.

Jake England and Alvin Watts appeared in Tulsa County District Court via closed-circuit television from jail, where they have been held since their arrests Easter Sunday.

Special Judge William Hiddle assigned a lawyer to Watts — England already had a lawyer — and entered not guilty pleas for both to charges of first-degree murder, shooting with the intent to kill and malicious harassment in the April 6 attacks in Tulsa. The harassment counts imply the victims were targeted because they are black.

The first-degree murder counts are punishable by execution or life in prison, but prosecutors say they have not decided whether to seek the death penalty.

The early-morning shootings terrorized Tulsa’s black community over Easter weekend. William Allen, Bobby Clark and Dannaer Fields were killed, and David Hall and Deon Tucker were wounded.

Police said England and Watts confessed after their arrests and said they chose the victims at random.

Authorities, who have described the pair as white, contend the two housemates targeted their victims because they believe England wanted to avenge his father’s shooting death by a black man two years ago.

A day before the shootings, England apparently wrote a Facebook post saying that it was the second anniversary of his father’s death, using a racial slur and lamenting that “it’s hard not to go off.”

A friend of England’s said England is Cherokee Indian and is not a racist.

Documents filed with the charges said anonymous callers to a police department hotline before the men were arrested claimed England was a racist who hated black men and that he “has mentioned he will die in a shootout with the police if he has to.” England’s family and friends have said the death of his father and his girlfriend’s January suicide sent him into a downward spiral.

Local and national black leaders have called on prosecutors to bring hate crimes charges against the two. Jesse Jackson spoke with black leaders last week, while NAACP President Benjamin Jealous visited Tulsa on Sunday and spoke at an event to raise money for the victims’ families.

Oklahoma’s malicious harassment law is a misdemeanor on the first offense and carries a sentence of up to one year in prison and a $1,000 fine.

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...1410?p=2&tc=pg

I think it was a hate crime. Watts and England brought until now no explanation for their crime.
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

Mother, attorney, defend accused Tulsa shooter

Editor's note: This story contains offensive language.

(CNN) -- The mother of one of two men accused of shooting and killing three African-Americans in Tulsa, Oklahoma, earlier this month said Tuesday her son was "a very good kid."

"I'm still devastated from the news. I can't wrap my head around that," Teri Alexander told CNN from the Mabel Bassett Correctional Center in McCloud, Oklahoma. She's serving an 18-year sentence on an arson conviction.

Alexander's son, Jake England, and his friend, Alvin Watts, are accused of first-degree murder and other charges in the April 6 shooting spree, which came a day after he posted a message lamenting his father's death two years earlier "at the hands of a f--king n----r."

A judge on Monday entered not guilty pleas for the men and ordered them held without bond pending a May 3 preliminary hearing.

England's attorney, Clark Brewster, reiterated Tuesday that England, 19, is not a racist, despite the posting.

"The fact that he uses that term and is comfortable in using that term in describing in a real derogatory fashion one person does not make him a racist," Brewster said. "He used the most derogatory term he could in describing the person who shot his dad in the heart."

Brewster took the case after England's mother wrote an impassioned plea for her son's defense from prison.

His office released a jailhouse interview Monday recorded by the legal team in which England spoke of the trauma of seeing his father killed and his girlfriend commit suicide in front of him, as well as troubles with depression.

In the video, England also talked of growing up and living in North Tulsa, which has a large African-American community, and said he had friends of all races.

"I always got along with everybody," he said in the video, which was recorded last Friday. "It didn't matter what color he was."

The language in the Facebook post was used "just to express how I was upset at the guy who shot my dad," England said in the interview, adding that was the only time he had used the derogatory term to describe someone.

That view is starkly different from the portrayal of England and Watts, 33, that has been offered by authorities.

Authorities say the two went into a largely African-American section of Tulsa after midnight April 6, killing three people and wounding two others. Police have said the two confessed to the killings shortly after their arrest.

All the shooting victims were black. Police have identified Watts and England as white, though the probable cause affidavit released Friday noted England was a co-owner of a truck that had Cherokee Nation license plates.

Three Crime Stoppers tips helped lead authorities to the men, according to the affidavit. In the first, made last Saturday, a caller described England as "a racist (who) hates black males" and said he had "bragged about other shootings."

Another person phoned to say that England had gone off to burn his truck, which was similar to the vehicle seen by several people -- including one of the survivors -- in and around the area where the shootings took place. Sheriff deputies soon after found a 1989 Chevy truck with the Cherokee Nation tag on fire in North Tulsa.

The third caller to contact Crime Stoppers on April 7 said England had "made several comments about killing black people" and wanted "justice" for his father's killing. This person added that England "uses drugs and will not go down without a fight."

In addition to the first-degree murder charges, Watts and England also face two counts of shooting with intent to kill and five counts of malicious harassment -- the equivalent of a hate crime under Oklahoma law.

The law makes it illegal to "maliciously and with the specific intent to intimidate or harass another person because of that person's race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin or disability."

Prosecutors have not yet announced if they plan to seek the death penalty on the murder charges.

The Justice Department is investigating the shootings to determine if federal civil rights laws were violated.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/17/justic...ngs/?hpt=us_c2

Gun in Good Friday slayings may have killed alleged shooter's father

A defendant in a Tulsa County gun-possession case, who was ruled to have acted in self-defense when he killed the father of a triple-murder suspect, seeks comparative gun and bullet testing involving items from both cases.

Assistant Public Defender David Phillips, representing Pernell D. Jefferson, maintains that a bullet recovered from Carl England's body after he was fatally shot in 2010 may be suitable for comparison with "one and possibly two" firearms recovered when Jacob England and Alvin Lee Watts were arrested a month ago as suspects in the killings of three people and the wounding of two others.

Phillips seeks a court order requiring the State of Oklahoma to conduct testing in an effort to determine whether the bullet could have been fired by a gun recovered in the investigation of the three-count murder case.

Regarding the defense motion, First Assistant District Attorney Doug Drummond said that ''we will respond at the appropriate time.''

Jefferson is charged with attempted first-degree burglary and possessing a firearm as a convicted felon in connection with an episode that also involved Carl England, reports show.

Jefferson, 40, was scheduled for trial this week on those two felony counts. District Judge William Kellough reset the trial for Sept. 17.

In a court document filed Friday, Phillips asserts that "the firearm used to shoot Mr. England was never recovered" and Jefferson has claimed that "the firearm used to kill Carl England was Carl England's own gun.''

According to Phillips, it appears that property of Carl England has been kept by his son, Jacob England, and "there is a reasonable assumption that one of the items retained" by the son was his father's gun.

After the April 2010 shooting, Tulsa County prosecutors ruled that Jefferson acted in justifiable self-defense.

Jefferson is currently serving a prison term in a separate case.

Jacob England, 19, and Watts, 33, are charged with five felonies - three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of shooting with an intent to kill - plus five misdemeanor counts of malicious intimidation or harassment (hate crimes).

England and Watts, listed in court records as white, are accused of shooting five black people at random in Tulsa in the early hours of Good Friday, April 6.

Dannaer Fields, 49, Bobby Clark, 54, and William Allen, 31, were fatally shot. David Hall, 46, and Deon Tucker, 44, were shot but survived.

England and Watts were arrested April 8.

By law, malicious harassment occurs when a person acts "maliciously and with the specific intent to intimidate or harass another person because of that person's race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin or disability."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...9_ULNSbW793850

Woman Accuses North Tulsa Shooting Spree Suspect Of Also Killing Her Daughter

There are new murder allegations involving the Good Friday shootings in north Tulsa.

Jake England and Alvin Watts are in jail without bond on murder and hate-crimes charges, after five black people were shot on April 6th.

Three victims died.

Now, a North Tulsa woman believes her daughter was England's first victim.

England has said he watched his girlfriend, the mother of his child, shoot and kill herself.

The girlfriend's family now thinks he lied about what happened.

"I'm thinking that he murdered her January 10th," Cindy Wilde, said about her daughter's death.

Wilde was in shock after her 24-year-old daughter, Sheran Wilde, died from a gunshot wound in January. Now, she's enraged.

"I loved the guy, just like my daughter did," Cindy Wilde said of England. "He's nice, loving, caring, I thought. He played me just like he played her."

Sheran Wilde had three children.

The youngest is England's son.

Cindy has custody of Sheran's middle child, a 3-year-old boy, who Cindy says was also in the room when Sheran died.

"The 3-year-old was sitting there watching it, and he said at the therapist today, "Daddy Jake shot mama," Wilde said.

England is accused in the random north Tulsa shooting spree that took place on April 6th.

After his arrest, England spoke about recent stresses in his life, including Sheran's death.

"It's impacted me more than anyone could really ever imagine," England said.

In a jailhouse interview, England's attorney asked how Sheran died.

"She shot herself in the head about 2 feet away from me and our son right there in the same room," England said.

The medical examiner's office is still investigating, but says Sheran died from a gunshot wound and the manner was suicide.

That ruling is preliminary until the death report is complete.

While Cindy waits for that final report, she's wondering what would have happened had England been tied to Sheran's death.

"Those poor black people wouldn't have got shot and killed," Cindy Wilde said. "They're going through the same thing me and my family is going through. I know how they feel."

Cindy says she asked England about shooting Sheran, and he denied it.

England's attorney, Clark Brewster, says Sheran's death was fully investigated and the allegations that England killed her are untrue and Cindy Wilde is just attempting to gain custody of England's son.

Tulsa County DA asks for delay in Good Friday murder case

A preliminary hearing for the two men accused of the Good Friday murders in Tulsa may be delayed.

Jake England and Alvin Watts are charged with three counts of murder and a hate crime because authorities believe they intentionally targeted black people.

Three people were killed and two others wounded during the shooting spree that started in the early morning hours of Good Friday.

Tulsa County District Attorney Tim Harris tells KRMG he asked for the delay because his office is still waiting on the autopsy reports.

“This is not like a singular case, it is a triple case so that they have triple amount of work to get done,” says Harris. “Even if it was just a singular murder charge, there’s only two medical examiners that are supplying autopsies for all of northeastern Oklahoma.”

England and Watts are charged with first degree murder, shooting with intent to kill and malicious harassment.

The preliminary hearing is set for May 30th and a judge hasn't yet ruled on the request to delay the hearing.

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/...er-case/nPB6K/

Prosecutors seek delay to consider death penalty in Good Friday shootings

Tulsa County prosecutors are seeking to postpone arraignments for two men who are charged with the Good Friday shootings of five people, court records show.

In a document filed Wednesday, First Assistant District Attorney Doug Drummond indicates that granting a continuance of about a month would give the prosecution additional time to determine whether to pursue the death penalty.

Jacob Carl England and Alvin Lee Watts are both scheduled to be arraigned Oct. 22 on five felonies — three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of shooting with an intent to kill.

England, 20, and Watts, 33, are accused of shooting five black people at four different locations in north Tulsa in the early hours of April 6.

The defendants each face murder counts linked to the fatal shootings of Dannaer Fields, 49, Bobby Clark, 54, and William Allen, 31.

The counts of shooting with intent to kill relate to two victims, David Hall and Deon Tucker, who survived their wounds.

England and Watts, who are listed in court records as white, are also charged with five misdemeanor counts of malicious intimidation or harassment because of race, color, ancestry or national origin. Each of the five victims in the murder and shooting counts is listed as a victim in one of the alleged “hate crime” misdemeanors.

Drummond requests that the arraignments be reset for the last week of November.

The prosecutor’s filing says defense attorneys have no objection to the request.

England’s father, Carl England, was shot and killed by Pernell Jefferson, a black man, in April 2010 — two years before the Good Friday shootings. In that homicide, Tulsa County prosecutors ruled that Jefferson acted in justifiable self-defense.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_TulsaC944330

Tulsa Murder Suspect To Be Arraigned For Assaulting Jail Officer

A man who prosecutors say targeted blacks in a shooting spree that killed three people earlier this year is scheduled for a November 29 arraignment for assaulting a Tulsa County jail detention officer.

Jake England faces charges of elbowing and cursing the officer as he was being taken to his cell from a jail recreation yard on November 1.

A Tulsa County judge postponed England's arraignment on Wednesday.

England and 33-year-old Alvin Watts are both awaiting arraignment on November 26 for the shooting deaths of William Allen, Bobby Clark and Dannaer Fields on April 6. Two other people were shot but survived. All five victims were black.

Prosecutors say the two targeted blacks because the father of England -- who is a Cherokee Indian -- was killed by a black man in 2010.

http://www.newson6.com/story/2009601...g-jail-officer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information