Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Isiah Otis Wilmont McCoy - Delaware

Man freed from death row in Delaware arrested in Honolulu raid

WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) - One of the three men arrested in a large Honolulu police operation in McCully on Sunday was recently a death row inmate in Delaware.

Isaiah McCoy, 30, made national headlines when that state's highest court overturned his conviction and death sentence, citing prosecutorial misconduct.

A second trial resulted in McCoy being acquitted of the 2010 murder.

After being freed, McCoy moved to Hawaii.

His Delaware attorney, Herbert Mondros, told Hawaii News Now by phone that McCoy has family here. Mondros would not comment McCoy's arrest for an HPD traffic warrant because he has not been able to speak with his client.

McCoy was not the target of the police operation Sunday, but was in the apartment on Young Street near Punahou Street with the man who was, Jordan Smith. Smith, 18, is the accused gunman in a Waikiki triple shooting that killed one man.

McCoy and Smith are friends from Delaware.

After his acquittal on murder charges in Delaware, McCoy filed suit against the state, seeking compensation for his wrongful imprisonment.

Hawaii attorney Bill Harrison, of the Hawaii Innocence Project, said McCoy's connection to the Waikiki murder suspect should not affect the civil suit because he was only arrested on a traffic warrant and his arrest has nothing to do with McCoy's time on death row.

"That has no involvement and should not taint at all what happened to him," said Harrison.

However, Harrison said, if McCoy was his client he would advise him to take care of traffic tickets as soon as possible and avoid contact with people who attract police attention.

"You've been through the process already. You want to steer clear of that type of situation."

When McCoy was released in January, a Delaware reporter asked him how he felt to be released from death row.

"Glorious," he responded. "God delivered me. All my prayers have been answered. I cried to my lord for justice and he gave it to me."

While McCoy was exonerated for the 2012 murder, he does have a lengthy arrest record on the mainland: multiple robberies, burglaries, terroristic threatening and drug cases.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...-honolulu-raid

Of all the people this "Innocent" man was with, it was a dude who was wanted for murder.

He'll be back on death row soon. Leopards don't change their spots.

Federal agents raid home of death row exoneree on Schofield Barracks

By Lynn Kawano
    HawaiiNewsNow

HONOLULU - A Schofield soldier and her husband, a death row exoneree say they are being unfairly targeted because of his past.

Honolulu Police SWAT officers busted into the home on Bertram Lane Wednesday night about 8:15 p.m.

"I was in my bed upstairs asleep and out of nowhere I heard what sounded like an explosive going off, and I heard a commotion, people yelling," says Isaiah McCoy.

Federal agents with the U.S. Marshals Service, Homeland Security and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives followed.

"You come into my house, blow up my door?" McCoy says. His wife is an Army soldier. He says she returned home from the grocery store when police surrounded her vehicle, guns drawn. "I would have let you in if you knocked, My wife would have let you in she has the key,"

The feds had three warrants, to search McCoy, his car, and the home for firearms or ammunition. McCoy is not allowed to have a gun because he has other convictions prior to the vacated murder case.

Cell phone video Hawaii News Now has obtained shows the couple standing outside the house, as agents searched inside.

"They found nothing. There was no apologies they destroyed my house. Went through my belongings, my wife's belongings, my daughters belongings and completely disrespected my residence," says McCoy.

McCoy was not arrested, no weapons were found. But after the police and federal agents left, Army investigators say they found drug paraphernalia inside the home but wouldn't tell the couple where it was found or what it was. McCoy's wife was taken to the barracks and he hasn't been able to see her or talk to her. Then McCoy was trespassed from the base, meaning he is not allowed back onto the property or to the home.

"Rather than take responsibility and say, 'look we made a mistake Mr. McCoy. We want to apologize to you and your wife,' no, instead they're like get off base."

McCoy was sentenced to die in 2012, for a murder on the east coast. That conviction was overturned because of prosecutorial misconduct and early this year, he was released.

McCoy was on Hawaii News Now in September, defending his friend Jordan Smith, who is charged with a Waikiki shooting that killed 22-year old Maleko Remlinger and injured two others.

Since that television interview, McCoy says the military and law enforcement have been harassing them.

The U.S. Attorney's Office declined to comment on the raid.

McCoy says he will have to sleep at a hotel for now, he also hasn't been able to retrieve his belongings from the home.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...field-barracks

There seems to be a recurring theme here with this guy I can't place my finger on what it is.

He's back again

Former Delaware death row inmate arrested in Honolulu again

By Lynn Kawano
    Hawaii News Now

WAIKIKI - A 30-year-old man who once spent time on Delaware's death row was arrested in Honolulu on Wednesday for promoting prostitution, law enforcement sources tell Hawaii News Now.

Isaiah McCoy, 30, made national headlines in 2012 when that state's highest court overturned his murder conviction and death sentence, citing prosecutorial misconduct. A second trial resulted in McCoy being acquitted of the 2010 murder.

After being freed, McCoy moved to Hawaii. He was arrested during a large Honolulu police operation in McCully last September in which police captured 18-year-old Jordan Smith, who was suspected of committing a Waikiki triple shooting that killed a man.

McCoy and Smith are friends from Delaware.

The circumstances surrounding McCoy's arrest are not yet known, but police sources say the man's wife, a sergeant in the U.S. Army, was also arrested.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...honolulu-again
    Last edited by Moh; 01-05-2018 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Spacing

But wait there's more.

Edited

Former Delaware death row inmate indicted for human trafficking

By Lynn Kawano
    Hawaii News Now

WAIKIKI - A 30-year-old man who once spent time on Delaware's death row has been indicted by a federal grand jury on human trafficking charges.

Isaiah McCoy, 30, was arrested in Honolulu on Wednesday for promoting prostitution, according to the Honolulu Police Department. Law enforcement sources tell Hawaii News Now he was to be transferred into federal custody on Thursday evening

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...an-trafficking

Senior Member Member
    we'll all note that the death penalty information [sic] center website makes no mention of any of this:

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/node/6660

The exonerations list is a fraud anyway, the title should be, list of people who were sentenced to death before or after 1972 who's criminal convictions that lead to a death sentence were dropped. It doesn't make any mention on the criminal convictions that these people have gotten after they were "exonerated".

September 22, 2017

Ex-death row inmate insists teen protege didn’t shoot clubgoers

The Associated Press

HONOLULU — A former Delaware death-row inmate who brought an 18-year-old Delaware man to Hawaii to get a fresh start says the teen has been falsely accused of a deadly shooting because he’s black.

Isaiah McCoy said Jordan Smith is not the triggerman who police say fired about 10 rounds from an assault rifle at a group of people standing outside a Waikiki club Saturday.

“Purposely pinpointing black people, that’s what they’re doing,” McCoy told Honolulu news station Hawaii News Now.

The shooting killed 23-year-old Maleko Remlinger of Kaneohe and injured two other men. Smith is charged with second-degree murder, first-degree attempted murder and two counts of attempted second-degree murder.

Smith pleaded not guilty Wednesday, according to online court records. He was being held on $1 million bail.

McCoy was convicted in Delaware of a drug-related killing and sentenced to death in 2012. A judge in January cited errors in the trial and declared McCoy not guilty.

McCoy moved to Hawaii after his release and said he’s an activist for black men falsely accused of crimes. McCoy said he brought Smith to the islands earlier this month.

“He’s just a new face, so it’s easy for him to be a scapegoat,” said McCoy. “I will not allow what happened to me to happen to him.”

McCoy said private investigators are flying from the mainland to help with Smith’s case and he’s also talked to the attorneys who got him off death row.

McCoy didn’t immediately return a message the Associated Press left at a cellphone number for him Thursday.

Days after arriving in Hawaii, Smith was arrested by Honolulu police on suspicion of assaulting an Uber driver. McCoy said Smith apologized to him and promised he’d do better.

According to court records in Delaware, Smith was released from custody earlier this month after posting $15,000 bail following his arrest in July on charges of robbery, possession of a firearm during commission of a felony, terroristic threatening and other offenses. Court records also show he is scheduled for trial Oct. 10 on charges in two unrelated cases involving alleged threats made in March against a correctional officer in a juvenile facility, and Smith’s arrest in June on charges of theft, conspiracy and criminal trespass.

A message the Associated Press left with the public defender’s office in Dover, Delaware, on Thursday wasn’t immediately returned.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/22/ex-dea...d-with-murder/

Of course they don't mention these crimes. They want readers to think McCoy and others are good boys and victims of an inept and racist justice system. And unfortunately, I'm sure it fools uninformed people who treat that site like the death penalty gospel. This kind of flawed, selective reporting on a topic most know little about is dangerous.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information